My Fix for the STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005... BSOD / REBOOT

Comments

• edited October 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Generally it is RAM errors that cause that problem. First start by getting a program called Memtest86 then test your ram to make sure you don't have any bad ram.

It's also possible that you could have video bad video drivers so if the memtest pans out ok that's your next stop.

Thx man, I will check it. When I mounted it i won't run, do I have to burn the image out and boot the CPU with it in the floppy?

Kinda feels best to ask u guys instead of spending a lot more time trying to find out for myself, sorry for my laziness, but I have a gig in two days and need to be playing a lot^^
  • edited October 2009
    Ok. I've now run Memtest86. I let it ran 27 times (for about 22 hours). It didn't show any errors. I guess that's good =P.

Kryyst, you mentioned that I might have a bad video driver, how do I check that?

(Thanks alot, by the way, and again sorry for I'm beeing lazy^^)
  • edited November 2009
    Hi!
    I am not very good with computers please bare with me. I was on my computer and all of a sudden it just shut off, it would turn back on, and give me options to reboot, any option I would choose, would make it restart, and the process has been never ending, I pressed F8 and found different options, but they all turn off my computer and go back to the same black screen asking which way i would like to start windows xp. i did come across something about BIOS, and STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8062C4A2, 0xF7A64E98, 0x00000000)
    Please help, I don't know what to do, I cant get far enough to open anything. =(
  • edited January 2010
    Hi. I have basically the same problem as jasminejolie.
    I hit CTL ALT DEL to stop some programs from running since my laptop was being slow, saw two things I didn't recognize that I was running, so I shut them down. Next thing I know, my computer shut off. I restarted it, got to my desktop and I *think* it was telling me I didn't have any ani-virus installed. So I clicked on the message to download an anti-virus and then the computer shut down again. Now I can restart it, get as far as the screen to log on and then I get this blue screen telling me that there was an error and windows has shut itself down.
    This is my message:
    stop: 0x0000008E, 0xc0000005, 0x804D92C2, 0xF50385C4, 0x00000000
    Begining dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory complete.
    Contact system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I thought I was good at computers before, but as I started reading this thread to try and fix the problem, I realize I have no idea what to do, Help please! Thank you.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Hello AmyInWonderland & jasminejolie

Please check out the article: Fix the 0x0000008e bsod once and for all
  • edited January 2010
    Hello everyone.
    I am getting several of those BSOD. It's very random. Sometimes I got this BSOD a few times per day, sometimes it comes only two times per week. I ran memtest and several antivirus/spyware progs. No errors were found. After that I had a closer look on the dump files.
    This is what I got: 9F, {3, 84af5b98, 8576c030, 850794c0}
    9F, {3, 84ad9b98, 84b623d0, 8495c238}
    9F, {3, 852d0b98, 85f17030, 8523d798}
    For all three it says: probaby caused by yk60x86.sys.
    Next dump files are: 50, {fdc00008, 1, 81c918c0, 0}
    50, {fdc00008, 1, 81c918c0, 0}
    50, {fe0d37e0, 0, 930d868f, 0}
    50, {c0800000, 0, 81cbab87, 0} .
    probably caused by: win32k.sys ( win32k!vSolidFillRect1+107 ).
    1000008E, {c0000005, 81ce88d9, a4f52f8c, 0}
    1000008E, {c0000005, 81ce892e, a7a25a9c, 0}
    1000007E, {c0000005, 824e8930, 8afc7b78, 8afc7874}
    1000007E, {c0000005, 81ce892e, 8a9bfb88, 8a9bf884}
    1000007E, {c0000005, 81ce892e, 8a7afb68, 8a7af864}.
    For all these 7e and 8e it says: probably caused by pool corruption.
    C2, {7, 113d, 0, c2c03008}
    C2, {7, 113d, 0, b744c008}
    .Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!ExFreePoolWithTag+17f ).
    1A, {4000, 85fdd188, 80000000, 23e047} Probably caused by: dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!VIDMM_PROCESS_HEAP::Free+60 ).
    1A, {4000, 85f68108, 80000000, 23e047} Probably caused by: win32k.sys ( win32k!SURFACE::bDeleteSurface+1bc ).
    1A, {5001, c0801000, 0, c0600203} Probably caused by: memory_corruption ( nt!MiAllocateWsle+6c ).
    how should I proceed now? Actually I don't know much about computers. If you need more information please tell me. I have: Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz 3 GB RAM Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
    edited January 2010
    Hey Nolting!

The yk60x86.sys is the driver for your Marvell Yukon Ether Card. I assume it's a 88E8056

You can get the driver from your laptop manufacturer or there is a new one on Marvell's site.

http://www.marvell.com/support.html and select the number of your ether chipset from the right hand dropdown.

Good Luck!
  • edited January 2010
    I have been having the same problem with my computer for about the past two to three days. Here is what initially happened:

Booted my computer up, loaded up fine to profile login screen. Clicked my profile and logged in. Desktop background shows up, but no start bar or icons. Reboots itself after flashing a BSOD for less than a second. Loads up again just fine, shows the start bar and icons, but i hear the windows error sound, then flashes the BSOD, reboots. To my knowledge, it will do this adnaseum. Hard shut down the computer, booted up in F8, selected "Most recent settings"...same problem, no help. F8 again to go safe mode (also tried CMD Prompt and Networking). This is where i get a little more help, during the safe mode boot, it gets hung up on this line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\Mup.sys

where it reboots back to the "windows did not shut down properly" screen.

From there i decided that there wasnt much i could do, put the comp in time out for a day (had to go to work) and returned to it that night. Well after about 2 unsuccessful boots, i shut down the computer from the profile login screen. Miraculously the computer booted up fine, albeit a little slow and sluggish, but booted up fine. No reboots, could access/use/play anything. Great! Left it on for a day fearful of letting it sleep.

Eventually turned it off, and am facing the same problems. Eventually i was able to F8 my way to a boot option screen with alot more options than just safe mode, recent settings, and boot normally. I have tried to boot using boot logging (no avail), Directory services restore (showed the screen like when the computer runs a disk check at bootup, but then flashes a BSOD and reboots), finally going to disable reboot on system failure. This one actually allows me to read the BSOD and not get epillepsy from blue screens. It reads:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF81BDE7, 0x9D9F9610, 0x00000000)
    Win32k.sys-Address BF91BDE7 base at BF800000, Datestamp 4a856407

So now I may have an answer to my issue, heres the only problem. Im totally locked out of my computer. Cant access it from safe mode, cant get in under normal windows. I do not have a windows CD because WinXP was pre-installed on my comp when i got it. I am not in a location where i can readily access commercial computer technician support.

The way i figure it i have really only two options available to me:
    1. Win7 upgrade, clean install. (most of my important files are on an external drive, so those are safe)
    2. New comp! (Not denying a very desireable option, but not for my wallet)
    3. ??????

Any and all help would be greatly appriciated.
  • edited January 2010
    Forgot to mention, here are my comp specs:

Asus Eee PC Netbook
    1.6 GHz Intel Atom
    1GB RAM
    160 GB HDD, 2 Partitions
    Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
    External:
    400GB WD HDD
    HP CD/DVD/R/RW
    Wireless Mouse
    Additional keyboard
    22" LCD Monitor
    Targus 4 port Multi USB port running: 400GB HDD, HP CD/DVD drive.
  • edited March 2010
    Hey Troll, I've got the same issue as you I believe.

My computer is:
    Asus P5GC-MX/1333 MB
    P Dual Core 2.2 E5200
    4GB RAM 6400
    1 80GB Seagate OS
    1 500GB WD green Backup
    1 500GB WD black blank (was corrupted)

I've ran chkdsk /r on the OS HDD. nothing came up.
    The PS is 300w... not sure if that's powerfull enough

The error codes I get are 0x24, and 0x8e

The 0x24 references ntfs.sys. the 0x8e references a driver. Once I removed the nvidia softward/driver, the 0x8e has never came back. I have not seen the 0x24 either.

The nvidia card is made by ASUS. It is the 8600GT Silent.

Could you please email me at freshman_1998@hotmail.com? I can send the minidump file.

Thanks.
    edited March 2010
    Hey Jinxd!

The 0x24 probably referenced the corrupted HD... I'd try reloading a new set of reference drivers from nvidia for your 8600GT.

The 300W PS is probably under power for that system.

And my issue was a Rustock rootkit, not hardware...

Good Luck!
  • edited March 2010
    troll wrote:
    Hey Jinxd!

The 0x24 probably referenced the corrupted HD... I'd try reloading a new set of reference drivers from nvidia for your 8600GT.

The 300W PS is probably under power for that system.

And my issue was a Rustock rootkit, not hardware...

Good Luck!

The issue ended up being the wrong driver. The video card I bought was actually an EN8400GS, not the EN8600GT. The box misled me.

I'm on to another issue.

My computer lags when shutting down, and logging off.

When I access sitcoms I have saved on a backup hard drive, windows crashes. Over and over. A debugger showed up a couple times before that. Dr. Watson Kernel Debugger.

I am running a complete scan using Norton 360 which has been freshly installed at the same time in which I installed XP and all the drivers. (3 days prior to the video card issue)

I'm hoping it's a virus as I do not want to loose my backup of sitcoms.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the prior feedback Troll
  • edited March 2010
    Jinxd wrote:
    The issue ended up being the wrong driver. The video card I bought was actually an EN8400GS, not the EN8600GT. The box misled me.

I'm on to another issue.

My computer lags when shutting down, and logging off.

When I access sitcoms I have saved on a backup hard drive, windows crashes. Over and over. A debugger showed up a couple times before that. Dr. Watson Kernel Debugger.

I am running a complete scan using Norton 360 which has been freshly installed at the same time in which I installed XP and all the drivers. (3 days prior to the video card issue)

I'm hoping it's a virus as I do not want to loose my backup of sitcoms.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the prior feedback Troll

UPDATE: The scan just finished. There was a Trojan Horse found. Great... how do I deal with that issue?
  • edited March 2010
    troll wrote:
    [Update: Sept 2009]
    This official Icrontic guide summarizes and replaces the info in this discussion: Fix the 0x0000008E BSOD once and for all

<HR>
    Greetings & Salutations!

For the past two days I have worked on two machines at the shop that would just reboot on thier own, after shutting off the Automatic Restart option. That wonderful STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005... BSOD appeared on the screen.

(Both machines worked fine till the users "Opened a file they received through msn messenger" :banghead: )

Safe Mode works fine, just reboots in Normal Mode.

From safe mode cmd prompt only I scanned with F-Prot, Ad-Aware, SpyBot & HijackThis... All things cleaned up or shutoff...
    (Norton was on one of the machines but it was not working and you didn't have enough time to check anything in Normal mode.)

Rebooted and within a few minutes... STOP: 0x0000008E again... rebooted in safe mode again shut everything off in MSConfig, ran Rootkit Revealer from sysinternals which found nothing... rebooted and same BSOD again...

Searched Google for 0x0000008E errors and got the standard, "Ram problem, Driver Problem, PS Weak... Tested Ram with memtest, changed the power supply and still no go...

Another site was talking about posting minidumps for them to look at, so I looked into one of the minidumps and found:

Rustock rootkit v 1.2
    Z:\NewProjects\spambot\new\driver\objfre\i386\driver.pdb

A little more Google revealed that this Rootkit, once installed is undetectable by anything, quite the amazing little piece of code...

Symantec's info on the Rustock Rootkit

This was it the B version... I followed the directions on Symantec's site to remove it by booting into recovery console from an XP CD. (You cannot detect it in Safe Mode)

Once there I used "Disable pe386" to shut off the rootkit... I looked while in safe mode for this service and it WAS NOT there... Since it loads with kernel / driver data, it hides everything about itself...

Symantec's Cleanup Instructions...

Rebooted in Normal mode and no more BSOD, reinstalled NAV and started it scanning when I left the shop... I will run ADSSpy again and see if it finds the alternate data stream now...

I realize that this is not the only cause of 0x8e errors but this was my problem, and since there were two machines in the shop with the same problem, I can see more of these coming in for repair...

Hope this helps those who have just recently developed STOP: 0x0000008E errors.

troll

My brand new Dell Vostro 320 running windows XP is coming up with the blue screen stop 0x0000008E, (0xC0000005, 0xB94FDCF4, 0xA6978B84, 0x00000000) message, noting ks.sys address B94FDCF4 base at B94F9000 datestamp 48025c12.

I loaded Adobe premiere elements 7 and ran windows updates. Adobe is working fine with my mobile and capturing video ok, so I can almost rule out a problem there.

The problem occurs when I am trying to connect my Sony DCR-TRV27E dv camera via the 1394 port. When I plug the cable in I get that particular blue screen stop message appearing.

After looking in various forums, it would appear I am not Robinson Carusoe on this one....

The camera works perfectly on another laptop, so I can rule out camera or cable problems.

It comes down to a windows software issue or a problem with the IEEE (1394) port or even a driver.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?
    edited March 2010
    Jinxd wrote:
    UPDATE: The scan just finished. There was a Trojan Horse found. Great... how do I deal with that issue?

Get a copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from here:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

Install it update it and it will clean up alot of troubles.

Also Super AntiSpyware from here:
    http://superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

The same applies...

What Norton misses these programs will cleanup.
    edited March 2010
    nickodj wrote:

The camera works perfectly on another laptop, so I can rule out camera or cable problems.

Hey nickodj!

Having a quick google there are thousands of posts about BlueScreen + DV + 1394...

Seems to come down to a mismatch between DV & 1394 chipset... Others have fixed thier problems by putting in a PCMCIA 1394 card if you have the slot... (Hence why it works on the other laptop, prolly different 1394 chipset.)

Another problem was caused by webcam software... Try uninstalling it (if you have one) to see if it fixes the problem.

Have you also tried connecting the camera first turned on then booting the laptop... some 4 Pin 1394's are not hot swapable. Or camera off, hook up then turn camera on. etc...

Also check Sony for updated drivers, firmware etc...
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks Troll...I'll give it a shot.
  • sgoldmansgoldman Baltimore
    edited May 2010
    Years later, I am just coming across this thread. Thanks for this lengthy and informative post brother troll.
  • edited May 2010
    troll wrote:
    Hey nickodj!

Having a quick google there are thousands of posts about BlueScreen + DV + 1394...

Seems to come down to a mismatch between DV & 1394 chipset... Others have fixed thier problems by putting in a PCMCIA 1394 card if you have the slot... (Hence why it works on the other laptop, prolly different 1394 chipset.)

Another problem was caused by webcam software... Try uninstalling it (if you have one) to see if it fixes the problem.

Have you also tried connecting the camera first turned on then booting the laptop... some 4 Pin 1394's are not hot swapable. Or camera off, hook up then turn camera on. etc...

Also check Sony for updated drivers, firmware etc...

Dell eventually sent out a tech, who replaced the hard drive and motherboard.....to no avail.
    They sent another tech, with a new screen. Thankfully, before installing it, he checked the system and reloaded a few programs and reconfigured the settings. We plugged in the camera and hey presto! It worked, and is continuing to work!
    So, 2 1/2 months later it finally got fixed.
    Many thanks for your help and advice.
    I'll continue to check into Icrontic...you guys rock!
    edited May 2010
    sgoldman wrote:
    Years later, I am just coming across this thread. Thanks for this lengthy and informative post brother troll.

There is always help for the Widows Son.

You are quite Welcome Brother.
    edited May 2010
    nickodj wrote:
    Dell eventually sent out a tech, who replaced the hard drive and motherboard.....to no avail.
    They sent another tech, with a new screen. Thankfully, before installing it, he checked the system and reloaded a few programs and reconfigured the settings. We plugged in the camera and hey presto! It worked, and is continuing to work!
    So, 2 1/2 months later it finally got fixed.
    Many thanks for your help and advice.
    I'll continue to check into Icrontic...you guys rock!

Good to hear it's all finally working as it should.
    And thanks for letting us know! :)
  • edited July 2010
    Anybody know how to fix this? When I try to restart my computer I always get this blue screen. I have windows xp. This is what pops up Stop: Ox0000008e (0xc00000005, Ox80663531, 0xB04EDA88, 0x00000000)
  • willschillinwillschillin 18944
    edited July 2010
    kapp wrote:
    Anybody know how to fix this? When I try to restart my computer I always get this blue screen. I have windows xp. This is what pops up Stop: Ox0000008e (0xc00000005, Ox80663531, 0xB04EDA88, 0x00000000)

i had to reload a system from this error message - found no viruses it was bad memory. Even after putting in the dell rma new RAM the system was never right until I reloaded it. Works fine now. We all spent alot of time with this one so if you have the opportunity I would backup and reload first. That might get right to the fix otherwise post your findings for us.

read my post in the middle of the thread

Good luck
  • edited August 2010
    i had to reload a system from this error message - found no viruses it was bad memory. Even after putting in the dell rma new RAM the system was never right until I reloaded it. Works fine now. We all spent alot of time with this one so if you have the opportunity I would backup and reload first. That might get right to the fix otherwise post your findings for us.

read my post in the middle of the thread

Good luck
    How do you "reload"? Just wipe everything away and reinstall XP?
  • willschillinwillschillin 18944
    edited August 2010
    kapp wrote:
    How do you "reload"? Just wipe everything away and reinstall XP?

First backup your data. Sometimes this is best done by pulling the drive out of the PC and using a SATA/IDE to USB converter (no more than $20) connect the drive to another computer to copy the data like a usb flash drive.

Then back to your question...yes get your bootable media or boot the systems built in restore partition and "reload" it by following the prompts. Dell usually a CD to boot from (F12 at bios) pick CD . . . there's plenty of specific info on the manufacturers site about this.

Then once Windows installs disk 2 drivers would be next to install device drivers compatible with that system. then software,,,etc..tons of rebooting
  • edited August 2010
    Hi everyone! I'm new in here and i'm really glad to find this forum :D
    Well, my computer haves lots of BSOD's and this is what it says:
    ***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x93EEC0BA, 0x9A79AC90, 0x00000000)

and also says something about win32k.sys

my computer is:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Intel(R) Core(TM) Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    3,25 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

this is very annoying because I can't do anything without thinkin' that the BSOD can appear at some point! :mean:
    help :)
    edited August 2010
    Welcome tiivicious!

Sounds to me like you have bad ram... Get youself a copy of memtest86+ burn it to a cd and boot your machine with it. Let it run 2 or 3 passes and see if your ram is bad. That is a good first step.

Here is an excellent guide to running memtest86+
    http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Let us know how you make out.
  • edited August 2010
    OMG!
    I run the program and that just show 17408 errors! And the program didn't finish running 'cause the computer crashed! It was in 21%!
    OMG!
    So, what I have to do now?
    I'm still like :hair:
    edited August 2010
    Now you have to determine which stick if not both is/are bad

You probably have (2) 2GB Sticks

Take one out and run the ram test again, if it errors put the other one in and run the test again.

If just one stick is bad you should get a new stick to try. If both sticks are bad I'd be suspicious of the motherboard too. Either way your going to need different ram to try in it. (Borrow some if you can to rule out the motherboard as bad.)

Good Luck!