My Fix for the STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005... BSOD / REBOOT

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Hi Troll
    first of all I am a system builder but not a programmer so all error code baffle me.
    A customer called me and asked for a format and reinstall XP OS so I did the c format and started installing XP only to find it wont find the HDD saying in the partion section

Unknown disk
    (There is no disk in this drive.)
    4 times:eek3:
    when I press enter to set up this is the error code

0x0000008E (0xc0000005,0xF7418CAD,0xF6FSS7E4,0x00000000)
    going outta my mind here even tried the usual RAM checks etc any suggestions?
    :shakehead
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Hi Riston

The 4 Unknown Disk messages would be from a card reader, unplug it till you get windows installed or you might end up with windows on drive H. It probably cant find the main HD as it's most likely SATA on an AHCI chipset. You'll have to slipstream in the driver or load it off floppy.

Thrax has good info for slipstreaming the drivers.

Download this package: here
    Follow the chart on this page: here
  • edited June 2009
    hi troll..
    would u please teach me the step by step process of fixing this 8E error? the thing is i cant start windows since my laptop keeps on rebooting.. i cant even start safe mode..

wel, i just know the basic stuff so please bear with me
  • willschillinwillschillin 18944
    edited June 2009
    I just had this on a client PC Dell Dimension....it ended up being bad memory - RMA from dell one Dimm chip. The dell diag CD gave an error code and everything several times. I would either get BSOD 0x000000F4 or 0x0000008E.

The PC was doing an update while the chip was bad, this corrupted the OS even though I could bot in and log on, I could not fix the issue without reloading the PC.

Flaky memory ended up corrupting files within the OS during an update...who would have thought.
    edited June 2009
    alexy87 wrote:
    hi troll..
    would u please teach me the step by step process of fixing this 8E error? the thing is i cant start windows since my laptop keeps on rebooting.. i cant even start safe mode..

wel, i just know the basic stuff so please bear with me

Hi alexy87

Thrax has an excellent guide for some possible fixes here:
    http://icrontic.com/articles/fix-the-0x0000008e-bsod-once-and-for-all

With it being a laptop and not even booting in safe mode, fixing this could turn out to be difficult. You usually (depends on the laptop) can't just put a second HD in the laptop to recover your data like you can a desktop...

You can get an enclosure and plug your drive into another computer...
    http://icrontic.com/articles/easy_data_recovery

After the data is copied off and you have verified that it is readable and good data. You would just run your recovery disks...

If all of this seems too daunting or your laptop is still under warranty, then take it to a shop for repair. They have the gear, knowledge and can do it very easily.
    edited June 2009
    Flaky memory ended up corrupting files within the OS during an update...who would have thought.

Hey willschillin good to hear you found out the source of your problem.

Seen a bad dimm once which would only allow the computer to go halfway into loading then reboot. The customer let this run all morning till I got there so I could see what it was doing... :banghead:

Needless to say he needed an OS reload as well...
    edited June 2009
    troll wrote:
    Hey willschillin good to hear you found out the source of your problem.

Seen a bad dimm once which would only allow the computer to go halfway into loading then reboot. The customer let this run all morning till I got there so I could see what it was doing... :banghead:

Needless to say he needed an OS reload as well...

I'm going to try debugging the dump file on this PC, as I have not reloaded it yet....

What did not make sense to me was once I figured out which DIMM module was bad and it was for sure, I removed the chip and its pair so instead of 1GB it had 512MB. When booting with a good 512MB, the system said it could not find NT Kernel as if the hard drive died. I was quick to put the ram back in and startup again ans surely it booted all the way in and just before the stupid windows hour glass went away - BAM BSOD again...

So why could it boot that far with the bad chip installed, but not with it out?

I'm still curious, I had to swap PC's for the user to get back up and running again, in the meantime I want the exact reason so we can conquer this biznitch once and for all...

:vimp::rockon::buck:
    edited June 2009
    Did you move the good ram around? Some boards require ram in Dimm #1 slot, to boot especially if there is onboard video in use... If you pulled the bad ram out of the primary dimm slots and didn't move the others over...

You might want to run Memtest86+ on each ram as well....

Windows would boot the bad ram till it hit the bad spot then crash...
    edited June 2009
    troll wrote:
    Did you move the good ram around? Some boards require ram in Dimm #1 slot, to boot especially if there is onboard video in use... If you pulled the bad ram out of the primary dimm slots and didn't move the others over...

You might want to run Memtest86+ on each ram as well....

Windows would boot the bad ram till it hit the bad spot then crash...

I did move it around from Dimm 2 to 4, then to 3. DIMM1 always worked.

weird
  • edited June 2009
    I Have windos vista Xps product red M1530 I can start up my computer and log in and use it fine with my radio off but as soon as I turn on my radio the blue screen comes up and crash dump comes up with Stop 0x0000008E 0XC0000005 then the other codes change every time what should i do
    edited June 2009
    Nickster wrote:
    I Have windos vista Xps product red M1530 I can start up my computer and log in and use it fine with my radio off but as soon as I turn on my radio the blue screen comes up and crash dump comes up with Stop 0x0000008E 0XC0000005 then the other codes change every time what should i do

Nick,

coincidence maybe...? Sound like a hardware error. My issue was memory when it came down to it. but your issue is much different.

My guess is the radio is interfering with the wifi signal...if not wifi, then I think the issues are unrelated.
    :(
  • edited June 2009
    troll wrote:
    Greetings & Salutations!

For the past two days I have worked on two machines at the shop that would just reboot on thier own, after shutting off the Automatic Restart option. That wonderful STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005... BSOD appeared on the screen.

(Both machines worked fine till the users "Opened a file they received through msn messenger" :banghead: )

Safe Mode works fine, just reboots in Normal Mode.

From safe mode cmd prompt only I scanned with F-Prot, Ad-Aware, SpyBot & HijackThis... All things cleaned up or shutoff...
    (Norton was on one of the machines but it was not working and you didn't have enough time to check anything in Normal mode.)

Rebooted and within a few minutes... STOP: 0x0000008E again... rebooted in safe mode again shut everything off in MSConfig, ran Rootkit Revealer from sysinternals which found nothing... rebooted and same BSOD again...

Searched Google for 0x0000008E errors and got the standard, "Ram problem, Driver Problem, PS Weak... Tested Ram with memtest, changed the power supply and still no go...

Another site was talking about posting minidumps for them to look at, so I looked into one of the minidumps and found:

Rustock rootkit v 1.2
    Z:\NewProjects\spambot\new\driver\objfre\i386\driver.pdb

A little more Google revealed that this Rootkit, once installed is undetectable by anything, quite the amazing little piece of code...

Symantec's info on the Rustock Rootkit

This was it the B version... I followed the directions on Symantec's site to remove it by booting into recovery console from an XP CD. (You cannot detect it in Safe Mode)

Once there I used "Disable pe386" to shut off the rootkit... I looked while in safe mode for this service and it WAS NOT there... Since it loads with kernel / driver data, it hides everything about itself...

Symantec's Cleanup Instructions...

Rebooted in Normal mode and no more BSOD, reinstalled NAV and started it scanning when I left the shop... I will run ADSSpy again and see if it finds the alternate data stream now...

I realize that this is not the only cause of 0x8e errors but this was my problem, and since there were two machines in the shop with the same problem, I can see more of these coming in for repair...

Hope this helps those who have just recently developed STOP: 0x0000008E errors.

troll

First off troll, thanks a bunch for your post! :wink:
    I tried all of your suggestions and I was still getting the dreaded BSOD 8e error on shutdown of XP Media Center 2005. Well, just for sh*ts and giggles I resorted to removing Microsoft's XP SP3, for lack of a better solution, and I'll be a SOB if this didn't fix the problem. Don't know if this will help other's issues, but it worked for me. Removal fo the service pack was not an option in "Add-Remove Programs" , but being a seasoned PC tech I was able to go to the proper folder under Windows and use the spunist program for removal.
    Reinstalled SP3 and all other related MS updates and the system seem very stable and now shuts down every time with no issues.
    I hope others with this problem can resolve it with this post.

TahoeTech
    edited June 2009
    most likely not a virus, overheating could do it. Memory def can do it, and OS corruption could as well.

Run diags on all hardware, if it passes and safe mode boots nrmal its OS corruption maybe due to a virus...but I have yet to see a known virus get posted as the known culprit.
  • edited June 2009
    Helios85 wrote:
    mtrox thanks for the suggestion.

I followed your steps but it just said, the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.

man i wish there was just a simple solution to this computors have to be so stubbon lol.

well i un-installed my drivers and then re-installed them and the problem still persists.

my card is a Radeon 7500 seris by the way if that helps it may be to old or something but still like i said it used to work and i seem to have the latest drivers for it.

do you still need help?or does anyone else for that matter?
  • boogienightzboogienightz Vinita Oklahoma
    edited July 2009
    thanus wrote:
    do you still need help?or does anyone else for that matter?
    i have an Acer laptop with windows vista home basic i get the bsod almost every time i start it with in 5 min. i first tried rolling back the drivers like i had read may help but the only one it would let me roll back was the video driver. sorry if im leaving out details but i know little of newer windows let alone anything of vista. anyway i rolled it back and now i get it to log on about every 10th time w/out bsod. when it happens i always get Stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8d8bce45, 0x968cefe8, 0x00000000) always the same codes. i read it may be a malware issue and it wont allow you to run anything it knows are anti malware and sure enough i can run everything when i can get windows to load w/out bsod ecxept anti malware stuff and the internet (firefox or IE). when i load it in safemode with networking i can get on the internet but still cant run the other stuff. i have no disk as the comp didnt come with one and it bsod's everytime i try to restore to a previous date and won't complete. i've tried everything i've read, that it will let me do anyways and nothing seems to help. i dont know what to do please help.:rolleyes:
    edited July 2009
    Nice post Thrax
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Thank you, Mr. Bedford. :)
  • edited July 2009
    Hi, I have a more complicated problem, I think.
    This morning when I started my computer I noticed after like half an hour that half of my programs just shut down, I was shocked by it so I thought it would needed a little cooling so I went and smoked for 10 minutes then when I came back I saw my computer just shutting down and after 5 second a blue screen came up.
    The technical message was: STOP 0x0000006B (0xC0000102 x then more 000 and sum numbers.)
    After a while I started searching and everyone was referring that I would reinstall XP. I tried to do that but when I reinstalled it with disc the same problem came up(it basicly wouldn't let me). So I tried System Recovery, also that didn't work the same problem came up.
    Then I tried to re-formate my hard drive, but do you think that would work? No!
    After some trying to log on and check my files I succeeded, and was really happy but I think I had like maximum 30 seconds to do something. I started "My Computer" and then this message came up: STOP 0x0000008E(the one you're describing.
    What to do? :(
  • edited July 2009
    Now there has come another error,
    Unknown hard error. ntldll.dll cant be found?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
  • edited September 2009
    Thanks a lot! This truly helped me a lot.

Regards,
    Raine
  • edited September 2009
    Hi first post I am having the same problem with PC blue screening most of the time it is the stop code 0x0000008e. I taken pc back to shop where I had it built and they could not find anything wrong with it, so I took it to another place and they found a bad stick of RAM and had it replaced, but it is still blue screening. Most of the time it starts within 5-7 min after I turn PC on the only thing I have noticed it that the codes are all different (IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL, and sometimes MEMORY DUMP) and stop codes 0x0000008e and stop0x0000007 dont remember letter after 7 though. here are my system specs:
    CPU Intel core 2 Quad Q9400 Yorkfield Socket 775
    MB ASUS P5N-E-SLI
    Memory DDR2 4096MB DRAM Freq 400.1Mhz
    VC EVGA 9800GT 512
    Power supply is an OKIA 500W and have a cossair 700W on back order. Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is?
    edited September 2009
    will083031 wrote:
    Hi first post I am having the same problem with PC blue screening most of the time it is the stop code 0x0000008e. I taken pc back to shop where I had it built and they could not find anything wrong with it, so I took it to another place and they found a bad stick of RAM and had it replaced, but it is still blue screening. Most of the time it starts within 5-7 min after I turn PC on the only thing I have noticed it that the codes are all different (IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL, and sometimes MEMORY DUMP) and stop codes 0x0000008e and stop0x0000007 dont remember letter after 7 though. here are my system specs:
    CPU Intel core 2 Quad Q9400 Yorkfield Socket 775
    MB ASUS P5N-E-SLI
    Memory DDR2 4096MB DRAM Freq 400.1Mhz
    VC EVGA 9800GT 512
    Power supply is an OKIA 500W and have a cossair 700W on back order. Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is?

The same PC I had this issue with failed Dell Diags as a Bad SDRAM in slot2...after replacing that RAM, I still had the lock ups in Windows and blue screens. I ended up, updating the BIOS to latest version, replaced the battery on the motherboard, and did a complete format and reload of Windows and now its fine. I've left the PC run for a week straight and not one issue. I also air blasted the memory slots/motherboard and switched the RAM chips around to make sure the error doesn't even think of starting its shit again! Man it was one of those pain in the @$$ issues but I finally conquered it. ;D

Its hardware failure/corruption that I think i turn corrupts the OS while trying to process requests Her machine started this out of the blue and for no really reason at all. Fairly new PC and never had a virus etc... Even after replacing the ram chip the OS was hosed. That's why I went "All out" or "all in" if you're into poker.

I decided if all those things didn't fix it then the motherboard must be screwed and it would then be time to move on. All integrated stuff as well which doesn't help. I try to disable unused motherboard devices if possible.

Hang in there read ALL these reply posts don't just believe me - but I'm confident this thread has your answer.:rockon:
  • edited September 2009
    I'm so so sorry for cross-posting, I know it's not allowed...I'm just going crazy. I'm getting BSOD all the time now with the same error.

If you could, please please refer to this thread I started,please note that I am not knowledgeable about resetting BIOS, and everything that's been suggested. I am just absolutely desperate.

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85991

I seriously need help.

Thank you in advance.
    edited October 2009
    Mismis wrote:
    I'm so so sorry for cross-posting, I know it's not allowed...I'm just going crazy. I'm getting BSOD all the time now with the same error.

If you could, please please refer to this thread I started,please note that I am not knowledgeable about resetting BIOS, and everything that's been suggested. I am just absolutely desperate.

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85991

I seriously need help.

Thank you in advance.

Sounds to me like a hardware issue. Most likely RAM. Is the new memory from Crucial? Last few purchases I've made with them were faulty. I had to return...not at all b/c of this issue but the last post I made fixed my issues with that Dell PC. Read my last post. Hope it helps.
  • edited October 2009
    Sounds to me like a hardware issue. Most likely RAM. Is the new memory from Crucial? Last few purchases I've made with them were faulty. I had to return...not at all b/c of this issue but the last post I made fixed my issues with that Dell PC. Read my last post. Hope it helps.

Hi.thanks for the reply.
    The box for the RAM says GB Micro..it's brand new though. I'm really not very knowledgeable when

it comes to computers so I have no idea how to update BIOS and change batteries as your post

mentioned. I just don't want to mess things up more than they are.Then again, as soon as I try

to do anything like serach the net,open any applications it shuts down..I can barely stay on for

a minute before it crashes it again. If I just let the computer sit, it stays on..it's only when

I try to do anything else I get BSOD.

These hard drives I have in here are from another PC because the one I originally had died. I've

had many problems with these drives when I was using them before. I had a nasty virus,and I just

found out my copy of XP isn't valid..no wonder I haven't been able to update it v.v.

If I just wipe both drives clean and reformat and install a genuine copy of Vista, do you think

that will solve my issue? Maybe that hal.dll file is missing..I don't know I'm just guessing

lol! Having to go back and forth to the store to keep testing RAM may be for nothing..maybe it's

something else?

Additionally, I did try removing the new RAM and seeing what happens..but the PC wouldn't even boot up with the original RAM I had. Now the old RAM stick is out and just the new one is in there and I'm still getting BSOD. Perhaps it's not the RAM after all?

I'm just at my wits end :(
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Yes, if you wipe the computer clean and freshly install Vista, I can almost guarantee you that it will fix the problem. If it doesn't, that will assuredly tell me what the problem actually is.

You win either way. Clean OS, and a fixed computer.
  • edited October 2009
    You guys seems to have real good knowledge of cumputers and why they tend to screw up^^

I bought a hp550 a year ago, and it works great, or at least worked great. Now i sometimes get a bluescreen with a series of error codes:

0x0000008E, 0x8000004, 0x806D8945, 0xA9159260, 0x00000000

The whole thing started when I started to play wow on it, of some weird reason I can play on my really old computer (512mb RAM, etc) but when I play it on my laptop it crashes, sometimes after 5 mins, sometimes after a couple of hours... I don't know if you people play, or if you have real lifes =P, but it allways crashes when I'm in a party with more then 1 other player. I would think that it crashes when there it simply got too much to do. The thing is that it of course not should just blues screen and restart...

I leave the analysis to you guys who understand theese kind of things^^ You got any idea of what it can be, I read somewhere that the 0x0000008E could be some RAM issue...

/Hitcha
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    Generally it is RAM errors that cause that problem. First start by getting a program called Memtest86 then test your ram to make sure you don't have any bad ram.

It's also possible that you could have video bad video drivers so if the memtest pans out ok that's your next stop.