Burn In Question.

Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I might have missed an article or a post about this so please forgive me if I have.
I am about to get a new intel rig and I need to know if I do the burn in at stock timings or do I find a stable overclock and then do the burn in?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I have always run a while at stock settings just to make sure that eveything works. You know, fold for a couple of days. Then I start trying to push it.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    I have always run a while at stock settings just to make sure that eveything works. You know, fold for a couple of days. Then I start trying to push it.
    That's pretty much how I do it. Stock voltage and stock fsb/htt for the first night then I bump it 1 mhz at a time each night for about 2 weeks. Works for me and you can notice the temps start to drop within the first week usually.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it. I feel like a kid at Christmas time awaiting my new presents. I've always had amd cpus so this new Intel rig should be interesting. I finally broke down and dropped a grand on it. I hope I won't be regretting this purchase when AMD's 4 X 4 comes out. Oh well thats the price you pay when upgrading I guess. The next best thing is just around the corner.
    Here's hoping the graphics card lasts me until the second generation of DX10 cards is out. I went with a neutered x1900xt 256 mb version. Any thoughts on the video card? Would a 7950gt would have been better? They were about the same price.
    Once again thanks for the help guys.
  • synaptixsynaptix Alabama
    edited November 2006
    Heh, that video card should be just fine for the time being. I'm still managing on a 256MB X800 Pro AGP :hrm:

As for the burn-in, I usually do what everyone else is saying, and just run the hell out of my computer on stock speeds for about a week before trying to tweak it. Then I like to sort-of ramp up gradually to find a good speed that works well for me and is stable. It can be a long, aggravating process at times, but usually the rewards are worth it.
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited November 2006
    For burn in I usually start stock - give it 12 hours of Prime, then just drop the CPU voltage by the smallest increment then do it again, keep doing this till it fails - move 1 increment up again (last completed voltage) do a 24 hour prime run. Then you can set stock voltage again - and gradually start overclocking. You can repeat this till you get no more benefit.
    Also you can try overclocking with lower voltage - basically anything you can think of to get more with less heat.

Hopefully after everthing you find a better overclock running stock voltage - keeping the CPU cool. And when you add more voltage you get more than you did.

My Opty 170 runs at 1.35 (stock) at 2.7Ghz - 24/7 now.

You can do exactly the same for memory, use memtest to stress it though.

Patience is required as you mentioned but the rewards are worth it.