good paint?

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
i would like to paint my case in the near future. In the past i have used krylon neon spray paint (orange is my thing). So i was wondering what u guys reccomend

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    MM had a good article on How to/not to paint a case. Might want to PM him on that. He migh be able to give you a few pointers since you cant read his article atm.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    ive read the article before, and tried to follow it (except for the really high grain sand paper) anyways, i was just wondering if u know of any GOOD quality paint, like almost car quality
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Go to your local Advance Auto and pick up some of the paint their. I forgot the name of it, but I know they carry it, it's something to do with truck utility paint or something to that sort. I used Painters Touch, the home depot brand for my job, it turned out good, not as good as some but it did well.
    edited June 2003
    thanks a bunch, im gonna go to my local r&s strauss today to see if i can buy me up some...if not..ill just go back the the krylon...hey anyone have ne suggestions about how to paint a zebra patterned case?
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    I use PlastiKote for my own purposes. You can also get Sherwin Williams automotive paint in aeresol form. Sherwin Williams makes really great automotive paint. Talk to any bodyshop, they're right up there with the best of them. This paint isn't cheap, though. Depending on the number of coats and the size of your case, it could run you as much as $60.

My personal recommendation: Be patient, use many THIN coats, and sand sand sand. Those guidelines, coupled with a quality paint, will give you a good finish.

Don't forget the clearcoat and some high grade finishing polish!

Oh yeah, jd has a good point... You've got to give the paint a good place to cure. This is how I solved the problem... A little custom paint booth in my basement. Note that the fumes from these paints can be extremely strong, so if you live in a dry, warm place, it would be best to set this up in your garage.

You need the following conditions for the paint to dry properly and accept more coats well:

- Dry, not humid. Don't paint on humid days.
    - Warm, not too cold. If it's real hot, that's not ideal, but chances are that unless you're in the direct sun, the heat won't adversely affect it. Just paint in the shade.
    - Dust free. You really need to protect the wet paint. Even dust YOU can't see WILL be visible once there are two more coats of paint over the thing. It will show up as slight imperfections in the finish once it's all said and done.

Heh, here's what I painted my case in...

paintroom.jpg
    edited June 2003
    my god...u made a fort in ur basement lol