Extra 3DNow boost OK

edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
This is on an hyperthreading P4 Northwood, two instances are running and both of them are Gromacs 3.3 core. Do you have any idea why one of them is SSE and the other 3DNow? The messages are as follows.

Job 1:
No option -tpi
(single precision)
starting mdrun 'p1480_dppc_chol'
4500000 steps, 180000.0 ps.

[03:29:11] (Starting from checkpoint)
[03:29:11] Protein: p1480_dppc_chol
[03:29:11] Writing local files
[03:29:11] Completed 1160940 out of 4500000 steps (25%)
[03:29:11] Extra SSE boost OK.
[03:36:46] Writing local files

Job 2:
[03:29:31] (Starting from checkpoint)
[03:29:31] Protein: p1487_DPPC_DOPC_CHOL
[03:29:31] Writing local files
[03:29:31] Completed 55538 out of 1000000 steps (5%)
[03:29:33] Extra 3DNow boost OK.
[03:29:34] Warning: long 1-4 interactions

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Pick a reason:

1. you've been drinking,
    2. it's hybrid CPU (part P4, part Athlon), or
    3. this is an experimental work unit, WAY experimental.

I've never heard of that happening before. That's really screwy. I'm thinking the core for your "Job 2" is corrupted. Here's what you should do:

- Shut down Job 2 (use ctrl-c to avoid corrupting the partially completed work unit)
    - go to the Job 2 F@H installation folder and delete the "Fahcore" that has been processing the problematic work unit (the log will tell you which core was invoked to process the WU)
    - restart Job 2 and your client should automatically download a fresh core.

If this anomaly persists after downloading the fresh core, you will probably need to scrap the folder's contents and reinstall from a fresh client download. You do have two separate F@H installations, right? (Sorry, had to ask.)
  • edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Pick a reason:

1. you've been drinking,
    2. it's hybrid CPU (part P4, part Athlon), or
    3. this is an experimental work unit, WAY experimental.

I've never heard of that happening before. That's really screwy. I'm thinking the core for your "Job 2" is corrupted. Here's what you should do:

- Shut down Job 2 (use ctrl-c to avoid corrupting the partially completed work unit)
    - go to the Job 2 F@H installation folder and delete the "Fahcore" that has been processing the problematic work unit (the log will tell you which core was invoked to process the WU)
    - restart Job 2 and your client should automatically download a fresh core.
    If this anomaly persists after downloading the fresh core, you will probably need to scrap the folder's contents and reinstall from a fresh client download. You do have two separate F@H installations, right? (Sorry, had to ask.)

Yes I have two separate F@H installations. I just tried your recommendation; deleted all Fah*.* and upon restarting the console downloaded FahCore_a0.exe again. But it still gives the message "3DNow boost OK" message.

Isn't this funny, it is like finding a four leaf clover :buck:

Leo, I have not been drinking but I want a beer now and I do not have any at home. You are bad :)
    edited November 2006
    I have some slightly cool Alaskan Amber Ale, but it would take too long ship via parcel post. Sorry.

An have no answer to your Folding problem. Observe the log for "early unit end." Maybe the work unit itself is corrupted. Beats me. I suggest you pop on over to the folding-community.org forums and see if anyone there knows what's happening.
  • edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    I have some slightly cool Alaskan Amber Ale, but it would take too long ship via parcel post. Sorry.

An have no answer to your Folding problem. Observe the log for "early unit end." Maybe the work unit itself is corrupted. Beats me. I suggest you pop on over to the folding-community.org forums and see if anyone there knows what's happening.

Have you ever tried Oregon Honey Beer? Trader Joe's in Northern California had these before but it is not available in MA.

This machine has been up (running Slackware Linux) since >50 days and no early unit ends. This one also seems to be running fine. I will tar the work directory now for future reference and let it run until I see either early unit end or completion.

Thanks for helping.
    edited November 2006
    Please do post back and let us know how it plays out. I've never heard of an Intel machine indicating 3DNow! in a Folding log.

Oregon Honey Beer? Not sure if I have. I prefer rich (dark) local beers, 'local' meaning wherever I happen to be at the time. 'Rich' and 'Dark' means stouts and porters. Ales are next in line. (Bud and Miller are watery, beer-flavored beverages, but certainly not beer.) There are excellent hand-crafted beers all over the country now. Not like Germany or Belguim yet, but we are getting there. (See, Leo just instructed on how to post off-topic and get away with it. All you have to do is ensure that the first part of the post is legit. )
  • edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Please do post back and let us know how it plays out. I've never heard of an Intel machine indicating 3DNow! in a Folding log.

Oregon Honey Beer? Not sure if I have. I prefer rich (dark) local beers, 'local' meaning wherever I happen to be at the time. 'Rich' and 'Dark' means stouts and porters. Ales are next in line. (Bud and Miller are watery, beer-flavored beverages, but certainly not beer.) There are excellent hand-crafted beers all over the country now. Not like Germany or Belguim yet, but we are getting there. (See, Leo just instructed on how to post off-topic and get away with it. All you have to do is ensure that the first part of the post is legit. )

I sure will do. It might take two days if it goes to completion.

I also like to try new dark beers from micro breweries, but we are new in MA and have not really explored the opportunities yet. If you have not tried yet, also give a chance to Japanese Sapporo Dark, I like it. See, I am a quick learner; starting with something relevant and then ... :p
  • edited November 2006
    I think that might have to do with some of those Linux only wu's they rolled out some time ago. They use a new core to fold with and I guess that they are just reporting the use of SSE wrongly for some reason. I might try hopping over to the community forum beta section later and have a look around and see if there is mention of this by anyone else.
  • edited November 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    I think that might have to do with some of those Linux only wu's they rolled out some time ago. They use a new core to fold with and I guess that they are just reporting the use of SSE wrongly for some reason. I might try hopping over to the community forum beta section later and have a look around and see if there is mention of this by anyone else.

Thanks doc, that is good to know, I will check the beta forum tomorrow. Let me get some sleep before tomorrow comes, you know, it is ET here. Good night !!