Dell 2407FPW - any experience?

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Hardware
I'm looking at getting one of these monitors as a Self present :)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4335

Anybody had any experience with one of these? The specs are real good for a 24" (6ms). The Dell forums say the current revision has the bugs worked out now. Just wanting a little insider opinion on it before I pull the trigger.

Dell has it for 799 - 15% and free shipping meaning it is about 680 for a 24". Kinda hard to pass up.

Let me know what you think.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I've read a bunch of positive reviews, especially for gaming. I plan on getting one myself. You have to make sure it's revision A03, which I believe the 2407FPW is.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Awesome monitor and I want one also....

But for $300 less you can get a 22"....

2" for $300.....kinda hard to swallow...

and can your video card handle 1920x1200 for gaming...

course I'm gonna tell you to get it so we can all be envious ;)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    2 x 7800GT in SLI should be able to handle it.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I have a 2405fpw and my brother has a 2407. They're awesome monitors if you can swing the cash. Neither of us have had any issues with ghosting when gaming or watching movies. My bro uses his with mostly HD video and some h264 stuff, and the picture can't be beat. Plus if you're planning on using it for a tv, there are a ton of inputs on the bottom.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Kwitko wrote:
    2 x 7800GT in SLI should be able to handle it.

Actually I have XFX 7900GT Extremes :)

I found some of those 22" monitors, but it just doesn't seem like a big enough upgrade from a 19". Wanta get that WOW factor for a bit.

Sounds like I should at least give it a shot and see how it works out.
    edited November 2006
    Missileman wrote:
    Actually I have XFX 7900GT Extremes :)

I found some of those 22" monitors, but it just doesn't seem like a big enough upgrade from a 19". Wanta get that WOW factor for a bit.

Sounds like I should at least give it a shot and see how it works out.

I was answering fatcat. :) I've got 2 7800GTs, which will easily support WQUXGA.

I agree about 19" > 22". It's just not enough. 19" > 24" *and* widescreen will definitely be a difference. Plus my current LCD doesn't rotate, which the 2407 does. That should be good for internet viewing.

I was contemplating getting another 19" and running dualie, but that sucks for gaming. You want a single display, not two with a big gap in the middle.
    edited November 2006
    hey MissileMan...I just picked this up at BestBuy.

http://media.digitaltrends.com/digitaltrends/gateway_fpd2485w_24in_lcd_monitor.html

$679 but I had some BestBuy rewards and got it for $625.74 including tax.
    I've been looking at it for about an hour and am quite impressed so far, and thats coming from someone who has a Dell 2005FPW....I havent calibrated it or anything yet...

Features:
    High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)
    1920 x 1200 maximum resolution
    1080P HD Support
    DCDi® by Faroudja for Clear Viewing
    Picture-in-picture feature
    4 USB 2.0 Ports

ill do a review soon...
    edited November 2006
    I'll bet they are the same monitor. Specs and layout are identical. The Dell is a rebadged Samsung. Don't know about the Gateway, but they sure are twins.

Mine comes in tomorrow.

Can't wait now
    :crazy:
    edited November 2006
    Missileman wrote:
    I'll bet they are the same monitor. Specs and layout are identical. The Dell is a rebadged Samsung. Don't know about the Gateway, but they sure are twins.

Mine comes in tomorrow.

Can't wait now
    :crazy:

Nice...you are going to love it. I always loved my Dell 2005FPW.
    edited December 2006
    My 2407FPW arrives Tuesday!
    edited December 2006
    Well all I can say is you'll really enjoy it.

I am really impressed with its clarity. I only play WOW but it plays it at 1920x1200 flawlessly. No ghosting that I can see even when mouse looking as fast as possible.

I went back and bought the multimedia speakers for it (only 29 bucks). That way I can hook my HD cable box up and use it as an HD TV and it will have it's own speakers without having have my computer involved.

I think you'll like it.
    edited December 2006
    Oh - If it seems too bright you can switch it from desktop mode to multimedia mode. It seems to mellow the brightness down a bit.

I played around some with the modes and I settled on multimedia. Gaming mode seemed to lose a bit of the crispness. I didn't notice any other differences between the modes performance wise.
    edited December 2006
    I've been reading a lot about banding issues with the DVI cable. This seems to be an issue with the older revisions, and has been corrected in the latest firmware releases. Is yours revision A03? The one I'm getting is, and supposedly the only difference between A02 and A03 is the addition of more languages for the on-screen controls.
    edited December 2006
    Actually mine is a A05 revision.

I'm running with a 12ft DVI-D cable and haven't had any issues. I hooked the cable box up with the component video input and left the sound just stereo analog.

The worst problem I had was that it requires a DVI-D cable and will not allow a connect from a DVI-I cable which is what I had and most video cards support (has 4 extra small pins for analog signal). I went and bought a monster DVI-D cable and it worked til I got to 1920x1200 and then it said out of range. The 6ft cable that comes with worked fine, so i ordered a cheap DVI-D cable from the "Egg" and it works perfectly with it. Took the faulty $120 Monster cable back and am now running on a $8 cable :)
    edited December 2006
    I didn't know they were on A05 already. I'm also running a cheapo $8 DVI cable I got from Newegg. It's on my 19" Samsung at the moment. Everything is super crisp and I'm sure it'll be the same for my 24".
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    Ok, so DVI-D is digital and DVI-I is analog?
    edited December 2006
    Not really.

DVI-D is Dual DVI. DVI-I is DVI-D with extra analog pins, Specifically the 4 small pins around the large blade.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52930
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    Um, ok. So if your monitor doesn't support the DVI-I resolution of 2560x1600 then it is a DVI-D that supports up to 1920x1200. So, most LCDs out there are DVI-D (like that Dell 2407FPW, and the BenQ FP202W that I am going to buy)
    edited December 2006
    It came today!!! This thing is HUGE! It's also BRIGHT. I played Quake 4 for a few minutes just to see what widescreen was like. I'm going to throw in a DVD and then look into getting this puppy hooked up to a HDTV cable tuner.