Getting a network up and running in WinXP?

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited December 2006 in Science & Tech
Hi there

I am about to go nuts, I have two networked machines but they cannot see eachother.

Here is the setup:
2 machines running WinXP Pro using the these protocols:
NWLink NetBIOS
NWLink IPX/SPX
TCP/IP

They are connected through a cheap 10/100 switch (Gonna exchange that for a router sometime soon)
This switch is also hooked up to the ADSL modem.
My ISP is providing me with two dynamic IP's that enables both machines to use the internet at the same time.

And here is the odd bit, the two machines can actually see each other when I provide a fixed IP through windows.
Notice: The remote desktop works but cannot see any shares etc.
But when I use a fixed IP my internet doesn't work.:doh:

I am at my wits end and going slightly mad, what can I do? :wtf::crazy:

EDIT: Windows Firewall is enabled on both machines I don't know if that affects anything?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Are they on the same workgroup? Have you run the network setup wizard?
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited December 2006
    Yup same workgroup.

And I went through the setup one more time and now it appears that the filesharing works. I do not think I did anything this time around that I didn't do earlier? But hey, as long as it works.

But Remote Desktop still doesn't work.
    Usually you type in the computer name and connects, but that's no good.
    Btw: both machines are setup to allow Remote Desktop
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited December 2006
    Here's the part I don't get:
    MJO wrote:
    My ISP is providing me with two dynamic IP's that enables both machines to use the internet at the same time.

Do you know what a public IP address is versus a private IP? Are you telling me your ISP gives you two public IPs? If so, they have a problem to fix, but it's not your problem if your network is set up correctly.

My ISP gives my router a dynamic IP too, but it's a public IP to the WAN port. Then my router gives each computer a dynamic private IP to each LAN port (or wirelessly which is on the LAN side of the router). The computers talk to each other through those private IPs, and the router connects the private IPs to the Internet through that one public IP.

If you have a different public IP for each computer, then they don't both have the Internet because they are networked...they both have the internet because they are essentially using two separate internet signals...kinda/sorta.
    MJO wrote:
    And here is the odd bit, the two machines can actually see each other when I provide a fixed IP through windows.
    That tells me you have an IP address problem. It seems both computers are configured to network just fine as long as the IP addresses are correct and in the same subnet.

You do not want file sharing turned on if you have public IP's. You need to either go out and buy a router (my recomendation) that turns one public address into private addresses, or get a second nic card for one of the computers and use Internet Connection Sharing (more trouble than it's worth, & not as secure). When you are behind a router and the computers are using private IP addresses from the LAN ports, then its safe to file share. Don't do it when both machines are on a public IP.
  • Morty-141Morty-141 in the 9th level of hell (married with 2 kids in an 800^2 ft duplex
    edited December 2006
    WHY do you need to use IPX/SPX protocol??? If your using window network tcp/IP is all you need. What kind of setting R U in that you need to have 2 public IP? That got to be costing you some money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My recommendation:
    1 is go out and buy a ROUTER
    2 drop 1 Public IP
    3 turn off the firewall or allow it in the exception section of both
    4 check security and sharing on the folders you want to share and see if the "share on the network" box is grayed out or unchecked. (this was my problem)
    then check it and run the wizard.
    5 test from one to the other. you should be go to go
    6 Maybe want to us simple file sharing (after the router is in place)

If you choose to leave the firewall on make sure you allow it in both or you might have problem. If you get a router check if it has a firewall built in?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2006
    IPX/SPX is in the properties by default in pre XP i belive it is, thats what allows you to use NetBIOS and NetBOUI beyond routers. becuase NetBIOS is a nonroutable protocol.

im with morty, id go get a cheap router so you can save a bit of dough, and be more safe on the internet. the router will give you more more level of security a switch wont. and about 90% of modern routers have firewalls which is another layer of protection.

the router works as followed:

you ISP gives your cable modem/dsl modem an IP address which will be used by the WAN connection on the router. behind the router ( ie your home network ) will get its own IP addresses from the router its self, they all contain a DHCP ( dynamic host configuration protocol ) server, which will give out IP addresses as machines turn on and broadcast looking for IP's ( which is what they do not, only instead of a router giving the IP address, your ISP has a DHCP server thay gives your machines the IP ), thr router also has a service that translates information from the external address provided by your ASDL provider, into the routers IP address scheme called NAT Network Address Translation

the reason they dont really see each other is they might be on diffrent subnets, which i can get into if you really care. this might also be a reason why remote desktop fails. if you get a router, 90% of your problems will go away, and im sure you can add a few more problems :)