Just installed Ubuntu 6.10

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited December 2006 in Science & Tech
Wow, i am very very impressed with the ubuntu team, they really pulled off a great Linux OS with this release.

I love it!!

Has anyone else tried it?

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, it was indeed good. But... not good enough since I am back to windows :P haha
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Installed Ubuntu 6.10 for a customer the other day. Very easy installation process, though driver updates were a relative nightmare as usual.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    It had found all the necessary drivers for me... though the default video driver was a big sluggish, it was way better than the default XP driver :P
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2006
    I've got it installed on a couple folding rigs. Haven't played with it much though.
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited December 2006
    Linux and graphics drivers are always a nightmare and more often than not you just have to settle with a compromise :)

In other areas though Linux has been improving greatly with respect to it's previous releases (anyone remember what SuSe 8 was like ?) :)

I currently use the Red Hat Enterprise edition and apart from the 3D graphics everything else is going well with it's native software package. If I decide to install something out of the ordinary then it's back to the drawing board :)
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited December 2006
    nonstop301 wrote:
    Linux and graphics drivers are always a nightmare and more often than not you just have to settle with a compromise :)

In other areas though Linux has been improving greatly with respect to it's previous releases (anyone remember what SuSe 8 was like ?) :)

I currently use the Red Hat Enterprise edition and apart from the 3D graphics everything else is going well with it's native software package. If I decide to install something out of the ordinary then it's back to the drawing board :)

GFX drivers are only an issue if you use ATi, the ATi Linux drivers are garbage and are a nightmare. nVidia gfx drivers on the other hand are Excellent and just as good as they are on Windows.

Ive got my Ubuntu install all configured and everything, i think ive fallen in love with linux all over again. ive had no major issues with any of my hardware on my laptop, this is wonderful!
    edited December 2006
    actually, i just installed the Ati GFX drivers for my laptop, it was easy as hell

w00 w00!!
    edited December 2006
    I have ATi graphics on the laptop and one of the two desktops I use but unfortunately I haven't found good enough drivers for them that can provide 3D functionality. ATi is now an AMD company so there might better Linux support soon
    edited December 2006
    nonstop301 wrote:
    I have ATi graphics on the laptop and one of the two desktops I use but unfortunately I haven't found good enough drivers for them that can provide 3D functionality. ATi is now an AMD company so there might better Linux support soon

acutally, to be honest, the graphics drivers on my laptop were proprietary because it has an ATi Radeon Xpress 200m integrated graphics chipset, so couldnt use the standard graphics drivers for windows, so i was stuck with outdated drivers... but these linux drivers are giving me a bit better performace, and they are the standard drivers ATi Developed... pretty wierd how they work on linux and not Windows... hmm..

what distro are you using nonstop? maybe i can help.
    edited December 2006
    Hi Jengo,

It's Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS I'm using and the ATi graphics I have are AGP. It's the RADEON Mobility M3 on one laptop and the RADEON Mobility M6 on the other one. The desktop has the RADEON 9550 SE. I have a desktop with nVIDIA graphics as well but that one has complete 3D capabilities with the new Linux releases.