Dd-wrt X86

GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
edited December 2006 in Science & Tech
DD-WRT x86 was recently released and I had too much time on my hands so I wrote a short guide. (Its really easy people shouldn't really even need a guide lol)

Please digg it well your there, Thanks.

Comments

• TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited December 2006
    Dugg!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2006
    Cool thanks :).
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Does it have any sort of AAA services... like instead of using an SSID you can use a web interface. Basically anyone can connect, but all traffic gets redirected to a sort of web login screen, until a login occurs.
    edited December 2006
    The wireless is broken in this version. But yah it has a similar feature from what ive read about it. (SputnikNet hotspots)
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    DD-WRT x86 was recently released and I had too much time on my hands so I wrote a short guide. (Its really easy people shouldn't really even need a guide lol)

Please digg it well your there, Thanks.

Not to seem obtuse, but (I did rtfm) what exactly does this critter do? My interest is piqued. I have lotsa spare parts laying around that I could build this critter if I thought it would be useful.
    edited December 2006
    Not to seem obtuse, but (I did rtfm) what exactly does this critter do? My interest is piqued. I have lotsa spare parts laying around that I could build this critter if I thought it would be useful.
    Ah I probably should have mentioned that.

Its for turning a spare pc into a router. Similar to smoothwall or ipcop does.

The main benefit is that your not limited to the slow cpu or small amount of ram that was in the WRT54G (The router that this software originally ran on).

edit: I will write up a better explanation of what it is and include some histroy. That might also help me get some more digg's lol.
    edited December 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Ah I probably should have mentioned that.
    Its for turning a spare pc into a router. Similar to smoothwall or ipcop does.
    The main benefit is that your not limited to the slow cpu or small amount of ram that was in the WRT54G (The router that this software originally ran on).
    edit: I will write up a better explanation of what it is and include some histroy. That might also help me get some more digg's lol.

That'd be great. I'm still scritchin' my head wondering how I'd benefit from this. IOW, what would be (stuff to include in your write up for knuckle haids like me), how one could benefit from more router RAM and faster CPU....

:scratch:
    edited December 2006
    That'd be great. I'm still scritchin' my head wondering how I'd benefit from this. IOW, what would be (stuff to include in your write up for knuckle haids like me), how one could benefit from more router RAM and faster CPU....

:scratch:
    If you use bit torrent and you have used the tcp/ip patcher on your windows machine the Linksys WRT54G when running dd-wrt really starts to struggle.

Also it gives you the ability to use more community developed packages such as the squid proxy server package. (Have your router cache your downloads, websites and such)
    edited December 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    If you use bit torrent and you have used the tcp/ip patcher on your windows machine the Linksys WRT54G when running dd-wrt really starts to struggle.

I use bit torrent and haven't run a Windows patch for it. I use a VPN service when I'm handling torrents. I've always had a problem seeding, though. Even w/ the port set on the router. Is this what the TCP/IP patcher is for?
    edited December 2006
    I use bit torrent and haven't run a Windows patch for it. I use a VPN service when I'm handling torrents. I've always had a problem seeding, though. Even w/ the port set on the router. Is this what the TCP/IP patcher is for?
    The tcp/ip patcher lets you go past the 64 maximum simultaneous connections limit that was put in place in windows xp (SP2).

If your have the unsolvable NAT problem then your isp is likely blocking it.
    edited December 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    The tcp/ip patcher lets you go past the 64 maximum simultaneous connections limit that was put in place in windows xp (SP2).
    If your have the unsolvable NAT problem then your isp is likely blocking it.

Ahhhhhhhhhh. {light bulb goes on} Did a little poking around. Found the TCP/IP patcher. Thank you :smiles:

I like the idea re: caching downloads, too (w/ respect to the router).

I don't know if it is a NAT issue. I don't get any error msgs. I run the "test if port is forwarded properly" and it checks out ok. Am able to download ok but not able to seed in turn.
    edited December 2006
    Ahhhhhhhhhh. {light bulb goes on} Did a little poking around. Found the TCP/IP patcher. Thank you :smiles:

I like the idea re: caching downloads, too (w/ respect to the router).

I don't know if it is a NAT issue. I don't get any error msgs. I run the "test if port is forwarded properly" and it checks out ok. Am able to download ok but not able to seed in turn.
    Yah the caching is great it was added in by the community. But smoothwall and ipcop both have a nicer interface for there squid proxy configuration.