w2785 emachine will not boot

edited December 2006 in Hardware
i have a w2785 emachine and it will not boot it won't do anything but power up no screen and monitor will not turn on . the light on the power button stays orange (on the monitor) i tried swaping the memory the hard drive the processor how do you reset the bios or will this help please please help me with this asap thank you in advance.motherboard is a AM39L

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Sounds like a dead motherboard or power supply. Do the HDD and/or fans spin up?

Try removing all expansion CCAs (circuit card assemblies) except video. Disconnect optical and HDD drives. Also, disconnect all external connections to the tower leaving only video, mouse, keyboard connections and the power cord. I don't think your symptoms will change but this is a basic "eliminate variables" step.

eMachines and their motherboards are highly proprietary. You'll need to check their web site/support for info. on how to reset the BIOS. You could remove the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) from the motherboard for a while then put it back. But this may not work as an added step (e.g. shorting two contacts together) may be needed to complete the reset.
  • edited December 2006
    thank you for the input i will try that and let you know the end result and what is the web site
    edited December 2006
    srvclean wrote:
    thank you for the input i will try that and let you know the end result and what is the web site

You are most welcome. Keep us apprised. We're glad to help.

eMachine online support
    http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    Thanks again, Pterocarpous, for providing some sound advice to someone in need. :thumbsup:

I hope you get this sorted out, srvclean. Let us know how it goes. ;)
  • edited December 2006
    well the mobo seems to be fried i tried every thing possible from changing out the psu the processor the memory the videocard and the hd thank you again for all the help i hope i can help someone also in the future
    edited December 2006
    srvclean wrote:
    well the mobo seems to be fried i tried every thing possible from changing out the psu the processor the memory the videocard and the hd thank you again for all the help i hope i can help someone also in the future

Rats! Well, that's the way the mop flops sometimes, huh? You're most welcome for the support. I'm sure you'll be able to help others as well. The more we learn, the more we have to pass on.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Note: This is extremely common for eMachines. I diagnose 2-3 bad mobos in emachines a day.