I completed my MCSE Certification today!

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited October 2003 in Science & Tech
This is KINDA related to Windows, KINDA O/T, but since I wanted to crow, I'm crowing here.

I FINISHED WINDOWS 2000 MCSE Certification today. W00T!!!

:thumbsup::wave::beer::cheers::beer: :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :rockon:

Now, if I don't get a pay raise/promotion next year, I gonna be hella p!ssed! :hrm:

That is all!

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Congratulations buddy :D

:beer: Thats teh way :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Bill, that's great news! Congrats! What an accomplishment!

/me is jealous now... decides to pick up the books again....

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    Great job! Hope you get the big $$$!

:respect:

I gotta get my butt moving...
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Awesome! Congrats!

Did you take calsses or read the books?
  • ThraxThrax
    mutters his congratulatory remarks and picks his books back up -- Is like | close to MCSA, CCNA, A+ and NET+

:thumbsup: 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    mutters his congratulatory remarks and picks his books back up -- Is like | close to MCSA, CCNA, A+ and NET+

:thumbsup::respect::thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Congrats on that CaffeineU!!!:thumbsup::respect:
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited October 2003
    Always nice to see SM's big guns offering their praise.

To answer Trekky's ??, I used a mix of books and other study guides. I did not take classes. I putzed my way through it, some hardcore study weeks, some weeks I did nothing. All told, about 1 1/2 years of work from beginning to end, but, if I actually had good study habits, would have been less.
    edited October 2003
    OK, cool. Because I've got some books and maybe this summer when I don't have school, I'll start studying them again. Some people told me it's nearly impossible to pass unless you take courses. I was just wondering. Thanks!
    edited October 2003
    Don't be discouraged trekster... most people that I know that have MC(xx) certs learned from books and hands-on... The classes are a rip! They are great for people with _ZERO_ experience, but for guys like us, books and hands-on is the way to go.
    edited October 2003
    Being hands-on with this stuff is so essential :)

If you really want to get into it and you don't have a corporate network job... create one.

Save some $$, buy a bunch of el-cheap PC's and you are away. Build your network, implement Active Directory, read up on what it takes to maintain and admin it. Read technet and any books you can get your hands on. Get into directory services, LDAP, AD, Exchange, TCP/IP, Intellimirror, Group Policy, routing, multiple gateways... to name but a few...

There is so much to it but a book can only take you so far, you gotta have a network to really really understand it.

Im not fortunate enough to be able to afford do my MCxx exams or study it, but I can ran so many rings around the MCSE guy they used to hire.. it's how I got moved from engineering to IT. The qualifications are important, but the experience and understanding on how to react when things go wrong is equally important.

The internet has a mass of tutorials and guides.

http://www.brienposey.com/kb.asp is a good place to start.

... and the golden rule at all times. Never ever panic :thumbsup:
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
    Congratulations, and welcome to the Borg :D
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, I got lucky for now. I just picked up a job as a computer tech at an engineering office and they're running Windows 2000. Really nice network setup. So, I'm actually messing with it everyday. Not really screwing anything up, but looking through it. They don't pay a lot, but it's going to be nearly two years of resume experience. :)
    edited October 2003
    Ask as many questions to their fulltime admins as you can!! :D
    edited October 2003
    Haha.. My boss is like super knowledgeable about the network. You ask him anything and he instantly knows the answer. It's awesome.

He's got a bunch of cert's: MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, CCDA, ASE.

It's pretty cool...
    edited October 2003
    THAT'S a rarity - a boss who actually knows anything about computers much less has that many certs!
    edited October 2003
    What the hell, it's my party and I'll crow if I want too....

I discovered last night that not only did I get the MCSE, but by taking the 70-218 test yesterday, I also wrapped up MCSA. Two certs for the price of one! That ought to look damn good come review time!! PAY ME BOSSMAN! :)
    edited October 2003
    Awesome, Caffeine! Sorry I hijacked your thread... *Goes off to cry in the corner*
    edited October 2003
    We're just chattin' here. No hijacking, or lojacking for that matter, was performed. Now, get out of that corner and get back in there tiger! That's the spirit! :)
    edited October 2003
    Caffeine is hereby appointed official Short-Media "Master Yoda" status :D
    edited October 2003
    Haha... w00t, Caffeine! I mean, Master Yoda...

/me wonders why CaffeineMe suddenly has a weird tinge of green to him... :hrm:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    Congrats Master Yoda, haha

Goes to show that hard work, dedication pays off. I better get to studying myself...