LightScribe is a waste !!!!!!!!!

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Internet & Media
I had a bunch of Best Buy gift cards to use up so I thought "What to Heck... I'll by a new DVD burner with Lightscribe :)" So I go down to my local Best Buy and pick up a Samsung 18X DL - DVD writer with all the bells and whistles. I get it home and do the install. I got the SATA one this time since ide is going away. Turn on the SI controller - load drivers, connect DVD. It detects as SCSI and loads fine. Read a few disks, load Lightscribe software. Go into NERO and burn a couple of cd's.:rant:

Now I'm finally gonna burn a label. turns out I can burn a CD in 2 minutes, and then waste 20 minutes doing a label. Other than it looks cool, doesn't peel, or throw the balance off, Lightscribe is just a big waste of time.:mad:

I am so disappointed :shakehead

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Yep... I'd never use it but I guess if you had to produce a nice CD/ DVD it might be worth it. Such as a DVD of kid movies for a grandparent... presentation for a potential client...
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Our admin folk use it at work. They love it, and our clients have said good things about it. It does take a REALLY long time, but the end result is usually worth it.

Remember, the more detailed the the design is, the longer it is going to wake. Also, the further out the disc is being written, the long it will take. For instance, writing text to the outer most portion of the disc will probably take a few more minutes than just the inner portion.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2007
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Our admin folk use it at work. They love it, and our clients have said good things about it. It does take a REALLY long time, but the end result is usually worth it.

Agree,

The real estate development company I worked for in Tucson used them for the client presentation CDs we gave out at the end of the project. They were a great eye-catching way to finish out a project. Clients loved them, it added a very professional finishing touch to a long project.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    We use Lightscribe discs at work for information burned for customers. It looks much better than a cheapo disc with sharpie writing.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    We use Lightscribe discs at work for information burned for customers. It looks much better than a cheapo disc with sharpie writing.
    I'm intrigued.... Does this utility actually write to the disc itself?? Cooooooool :cool:
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2007
    I'm intrigued.... Does this utility actually write to the disc itself?? Cooooooool :cool:

Yes,

You burn your data onto the disk, flip it over and burn your image/disk name onto the top. More info on the technology:

Wikepedia Article: Lightscribe

I will agree with MM that if the disk your burning is for personal use, Lightscribe might be overkill. Thought about using Lightscribe for the CDs of my wedding pictures i intend to hand out to friends and family. In most cases a sharpie is more than enough for home use.
    edited January 2007
    RADA wrote:
    Yes,

You burn your data onto the disk, flip it over and burn your image/disk name onto the top. More info on the technology:

Wikepedia Article: Lightscribe

I will agree with MM that if the disk your burning is for personal use, Lightscribe might be overkill. Thought about using Lightscribe for the CDs of my wedding pictures i intend to hand out to friends and family. In most cases a sharpie is more than enough for home use.

ooooooooooo. nifty. guess i should crawl out from under my trusty rock more often! Thanx for the link, Rada. :)
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Yeah it works okay if you are just burning title and I do agree with all of you on making a very professional looking disc for a customer or a permanent archive. I had heard it was slow. I just wasn't prepared for HOW SLOW.

All in all a nice feature. I just wouldn't run out special and buy LightScribe again :tongue:
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited January 2007
    My laptop came with lightscribe and I bought a small pack of DVDs for it, but haven't tried it out yet. I haven't done any research on it, but it's good to know it will take some time to burn a detailed label.
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
    edited January 2007
    I picked up two of them, one for each system. I haven't used them yet, and probably won't. But seeing how I got a decent price, I figured it was worth a try. But as others have said, sharpies work great.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Now-days all they seem to stock in our local computer stores are lightscribe burners. I've picked up two of them so far and have used them quite a bit.

Usually I pick a time when I can do something else while it's burning the image to disk, so I don't have to sit around waiting for it. I always choose "Best" under print contrast, so mine takes around half an hour to burn a disk.

It is a time waster but the results are stunning.
    edited January 2007
    Winga wrote:
    Now-days all they seem to stock in our local computer stores are lightscribe burners. I've picked up two of them so far and have used them quite a bit.
    Usually I pick a time when I can do something else while it's burning the image to disk, so I don't have to sit around waiting for it. I always choose "Best" under print contrast, so mine takes around half an hour to burn a disk.
    It is a time waster but the results are stunning.
    How much more expensive are the lightscribe burners than those that don't support lightscribe?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    It's almost negligible now.
    edited January 2007
    Cyclonite wrote:
    It's almost negligible now.
    Then I'll make sure that's what I get from now on. Maybe over time, the label making process (w/ respect to the time it takes) will improve. In any case it sounds like a nice device to have.

My hand writing's so bad, I don't use the Sharpies anymore. I've just been using, believe it or not, envelope labels that I print the title onto. They don't seem to affect balance and they're cheaper and far less of pain to mount than stick-on CD labels. In the end, the light scribe is the way to go, I think.
    Far more professional looking.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Make sure you go to www.lightscribe.com and download the latest lightscribe driver. They also have a contrast enhancer utility which does help a bit on making the label standout more.
    edited January 2007
    Missileman wrote:
    Make sure you go to www.lightscribe.com and download the latest lightscribe driver. They also have a contrast enhancer utility which does help a bit on making the label standout more.
    Good to know. Thanx Missileman!