If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Streaming Audio Recording Problem

PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
edited Dec 2008 in Technology
Hello all

I like to be able to record streaming audio off the Internet (talks shows, etc.). I don't do anything fancy. Just very rudimentary stuff to save audio I'd like to listen to later, etc. I'm able to do this ok w/ the integrated audio on my Gigabyte motherboard however, I cannot using my Asus motherboard's integrated audio.

I refer to the two systems as "Bench-1" & "Bench-2"
For Bench-1 (Gigabyte mobo), Stereo Mix is the option I use in the Record column. However on Bench-2 (Asus mobo), My options are greatly reduced. There is no option for me to choose that would enable me to record streaming audio.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how to do this. I've emailed Asus tech support re: the integrated Realtek HD Audio but haven't heard anything from them other than a confirmation that they got the email. (that was weeks ago.)

I've searched through the Internet for more info., drivers, docs, etc. re: Realtek HD Audio but the pickings are slim. I have the latest audio drivers available from Asus installed. The software I'm using is Blaze Media Pro v7 - specifically, its Audio Editor. However, I think I'd see this problem regardless of which software package I was using.

Following is a comparison between the two systems re: the options that are available in the Audio Editor Playback and, more importantly, Record columns.

I'd be greatful for input from those familiar w/ this process, software, hardware, etc.

Thankyou in advance!



"Bench-1" computer
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Motherboard w/ integrated Realtek AC97 Audio
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
2.01 GHz, 1.00 GB or RAM
Windows Media Center Edition + Windows XP Pro (dual-boot)
----------------------------
Blaze Media Pro 7.0>Audio Editor
"Playback" column
Audio Option: "Realtek AC97 Audio"
Audio Option: "Microsoft Sound Mapper"
"Volume" drop-down menu
SW Synth
Front
Side
Subwoofer
Center
Rear
SPDIF
CD Player
Line In
Microphone
Phone Line
PC Speaker
---------------------------
"Record" column
Audio Option: "Realtek AC97 Audio"
Audio Option: "Microsoft Sound Mapper"
"Volume" drop-down menu
Recording Control
Mono Mix
Stereo Mix
SPDIF
CD Player
Line In
Microphone
Phone Line
----------------------------
----------------------------
"Bench-2" computer
Asus M2V Rev 1.016 (or 1.01G (not sure of last character))
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
2.40 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
----------------------------
Blaze Media Pro 7.0>Audio Editor
"Playback" column
Audio Option: "Realtek HD Audio Output"
Audio Option: "Microsoft Sound Mapper"
"Volume" drop-down menu
Master Volume
Wave
SW Synth
Front
Rear
Subwoofer
Center
SPDIF
CD Volume
Line Volume
Mic Volume
PC Beep
PC Speaker
---------------------------
"Record" column
Audio Option: "Realtek HD Audio"
Audio Option: "Microsoft Sound Mapper"
"Volume" drop-down menu
Recording Control
CD Volume
FrontMic
Mic Volume
Line Volume
BMP Audio Editor.jpg
1 x 1 - 98K

Comments

  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited Jan 2007
    I'm not entirely sure why you have the problem with the Asus desktop Pterocarpous.

    Perhaps the Sound Recording device of your sound card hasn't been detected properly.

    You can check this by starting the Windows built-in SoundRec program under Accessories -> Entertainment and see if the Record buton is enabled and allows to record anything.

    If it doesn't, then you can have a look in the Control Panel under Sounds and Audio Devices and check if Windows has detected the correct device for Sound Recording.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    I'm not entirely sure why you have the problem with the Asus desktop Pterocarpous. Perhaps the Sound Recording device of your sound card hasn't been detected properly. You can check this by starting the Windows built-in SoundRec program under Accessories -> Entertainment and see if the Record buton is enabled and allows to record anything.
    If it doesn't, then you can have a look in the Control Panel under Sounds and Audio Devices and check if Windows has detected the correct device for Sound Recording.
    Hi nonstop301. Thankyou for responding. I checked the Sound Recording app. as you suggested and found I am able to activate the Record button in the app. for both systems. I think the issue w/ the Asus system is that I do not have "what-you-hear" (anything that comes out of your speakers) recording capability like I do w/ the Gigabyte mobo system. I'm limited to recording Line input, and CD for recording audio on the Asus mobo.

    As for the correct device for sound recording, I'm not sure which one that is.
    I've included Device Manager pics for both systems.

    Pic on the left is [Bench-1 - Asus Motherboard w/ Realtek AC97 integrated audio]

    Pic on the right is [Bench-2 System - Gigabyte Motherboard w/ Realtek HD integrated audio]
    This is the one I am experiencing difficuties with.

    ====================================
    "Bench-1" System - Gigabyte Motherboard Integrated Audio Record Options
    "Record" column
    Audio Option: "Realtek AC97 Audio"
    Audio Option: "Microsoft Sound Mapper"
    "Volume" drop-down menu
    • Recording Control
    • Mono Mix
    • Stereo Mix
    • SPDIF
    • CD Player
    • Line In
    • Microphone
    • Phone Line
    ====================================
    In Contrast, these are the recording source options on the Asus system:
    Note there isn't any "Stereo Mix". I can only record CD, FrontMic, Mic, & Line input.

    "Bench-2" System - Asus Motherboard Integrated Audio Record Options
    "Record" column
    Audio Option: "Realtek HD Audio"
    Audio Option: "Microsoft Sound Mapper"
    "Volume" drop-down menu
    • Recording Control
    • CD Volume
    • FrontMic
    • Mic Volume
    • Line Volume
    ====================================

    I'm greatful for any feedback you can provide. Thankyou Again
    Asus Mobo Sound Devices.jpg
    1 x 1 - 51K
    Gigabyte Mobo Sound Devices.jpg
    1 x 1 - 55K
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited Jan 2007
    Hello again Pterocarpuous,

    The audio codecs in the Device Manager of your Asus desktop appear to be all right so it doens't seem to be a hardware conflict.

    You can try to double-click the sound icon on the system tray of the Asus computer and from the Options of the Volume control window. select Recording and then check whether a Mixer device is being used and whether the Mixer box is ticked.

    Compare these settings with the ones on the Gigabyte computer and if they are the same you might be able to Mixer recording in the Asus computer as well instead of just the CD audio and Line in.

    The recording device for both computers should be the same since you have the Realtek AC97 sound card in both machines.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    Hello again Pterocarpuous,
    The audio codecs in the Device Manager of your Asus desktop appear to be all right so it doens't seem to be a hardware conflict.
    You can try to double-click the sound icon on the system tray of the Asus computer and from the Options of the Volume control window. select Recording and then check whether a Mixer device is being used and whether the Mixer box is ticked.
    Compare these settings with the ones on the Gigabyte computer and if they are the same you might be able to Mixer recording in the Asus computer as well instead of just the CD audio and Line in.
    The recording device for both computers should be the same since you have the Realtek AC97 sound card in both machines.
    Hello nonstop301 and thankyou again.
    I did as you requested and checked the Master Volume Control Record options. What I found is reflected in what I'm seeing in Blaze Media's Audio Editor. The input device option I need, "Stereo Mix", just isn't there to choose. In fact, there are no mixer devices at all to choose from. By contrast, the Gigabyte mobo w/ Realtek AC97 integrated audio offers both mono and stereo mixer devices.

    It's true, both motherboards' integrated audio is Realtek, however, one is "Realtek AC97" (which works fine) and the other is "Realtek HD" ("HD" being their so called "High Definition" audio :rant: )

    In the pics:
    The one on the left shows the Realtek AC97 audio input options.
    The one on the right shows the Realtek HD audio input options.
    Realtek AC97 Audio Input Options.jpg
    1 x 1 - 27K
    Realtek HD Audio Input Options.jpg
    1 x 1 - 23K
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Jan 2007
    The sound drivers determine whether or not you can record what's being processed (played back) by your soundcard. If you don't have "Stereo Mix" on one sound card, it's because the sound card either doesn't support it, or the drivers don't -- in either circumstance, you can't add it yourself.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    Thrax said:
    The sound drivers determine whether or not you can record what's being processed (played back) by your soundcard. If you don't have "Stereo Mix" on one sound card, it's because the sound card either doesn't support it, or the drivers don't -- in either circumstance, you can't add it yourself.
    Thankyou Thrax. It's beyond me why this ability would be left out of the integrated audio. I bought an Asus motherboard because I wanted a better and more reliable board - supposedly high(er) end than a lot of what's out there. Apparently they've scrimped and put this crappy audio on the board.

    Now I have to buy a sound card and take up a slot in my system. :rant:

    To that end, any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy. Just reliable and clean audio.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Jan 2007
    You should look at inexpensive options from Terratec, mAudio and Auzentech. :)
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    Thrax said:
    You should look at inexpensive options from Terratec, mAudio and Auzentech. :)
    Thankyou Thrax. I'll check them out.
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited Jan 2007
    You could also try the audio drivers from VIA for your motherboard Pterocarpous.

    You can install the VIA AC'97 Vinyl Audio Codecs instead of the HD audio codecs which don't provide Stereo or Mono Mix for you.

    I have an Asus too but unlike yours it has an nVIDIA motherboard. I had no Mixer with it originally with the RealTek driver that came with it but then I went to the nVIDIA site and got the nVIDIA Mixer tool for my motherboard model and I gained the Mono and Stereo Mix without getting a new sound card.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    You could also try the audio drivers from VIA for your motherboard Pterocarpous.

    You can install the VIA AC'97 Vinyl Audio Codecs instead of the HD audio codecs which don't provide Stereo or Mono Mix for you.

    I have an Asus too but unlike yours it has an nVIDIA motherboard. I had no Mixer with it originally with the RealTek driver that came with it but then I went to the nVIDIA site and got the nVIDIA Mixer tool for my motherboard model and I gained the Mono and Stereo Mix without getting a new sound card.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Now, t-h-a-t's a clever idea! Lemmee go check that out. Thanx nonstop301!!
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited Jan 2007
    In fact even the VIA HD audio codecs might provide the Mixer function and they will be far better the Realtek HD codec you're currently using
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    In fact even the VIA HD audio codecs might provide the Mixer function and they will be far better the Realtek HD codec you're currently using
    Thanx nonstop301. I'm looking through their site right now. I'm not quite sure which codecs I should download. They've got a lot their. I'm a little discombobulated. :scratch:
    I assume which ones I can use will depend upon my chipset, right? Now I gotta figure out which chipset I have.... Lemme go see.....
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    Woooops! I was in the wrong area. Needed to go here
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    I tried the VIA HD v180b Audio Codec
    It balks during the install stating there are NO HD devices installed! :banghead:

    So.... I checked back w/ Asus and found a more recent driver. I installed it and actually l-o-s-t an input device (Front Mic)! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

    Maybe I'm missing something. Attached is a partial specs sheet on the motherboard.

    I know this topic can grow tiresome but I'd be so happy if I could avoid having to install an expansion card in this system. I'd have to remove something and I don't want to do that.

    If anyone has any patience left to contribute to this topic I'd be greatful.
    Partial Specs Sheet.jpg
    1 x 1 - 85K
  • QCHQCH Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited Jan 2007
    I ditched any hope of recording webcasts, internet radio via hardware... I use ARWizard3. It will record whatever the system plays. Try it for free. I liked it and bought it for $25. Worth a try...
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited Jan 2007
    I'm surprised you ran into some problems there Pterocarpous


    Is this the VIA HD audio codec you tried
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1010&SubCatID=154

    It is meant to be for your VT8237A South Bridge

    If that was the culprit though, just get the normal VIA Vinyl AC Audio driver for the South Bridge
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1010&SubCatID=104
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    QCH2002 said:
    I ditched any hope of recording webcasts, internet radio via hardware... I use ARWizard3. It will record whatever the system plays. Try it for free. I liked it and bought it for $25. Worth a try...
    Thanx QCH2002. I thought that was what I was getting when I bought Blaze Media Pro. I'll try the trial of ARWIZARD and see if it cures these here ills.

    Thanx again!
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    I'm surprised you ran into some problems there Pterocarpous...Is this the VIA HD audio codec you tried...
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1010&SubCatID=154...It is meant to be for your VT8237A South Bridge...If that was the culprit though, just get the normal VIA Vinyl AC Audio driver for the South Bridge...http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1010&SubCatID=104
    Thanx for double-checking nonstop301. That looks like the one. http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1010&SubCatID=154

    It's version 180b of their HD Audio drivers
    VIA HD 180b Audio Codec.jpg
    1 x 1 - 79K
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    ...If that was the culprit though, just get the normal VIA Vinyl AC Audio driver for the South Bridge...
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1010&SubCatID=104
    Trying that would never have occured to me. :doh: Thanx nonstop301!

    Now, lemmee give that a whack. Be right back - unless of course everthing goes to hell in a hand basket which, as we all know, can happen when trying to coerce our computers into performing properly!!! :banghead: ehhhhh hrmmmm.... gettin' just a weee bit frustrated heeeerrrreee..... :grumble:
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    ...If that was the culprit though, just get the normal VIA Vinyl AC Audio driver for the South Bridge
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1010&SubCatID=104
    Well, I tried it and no worky (see pic) :bawling:


    Back to takin' a look at ARWizard3......

    Thanx for hangin' in there w/ me through this saga, nonstop301....:smiles:
    No Worky.jpg
    1 x 1 - 51K
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited Jan 2007
    If you see what goes on in some other threads here then you'll see a real saga :)

    I can't imagine how the VIA website can't provide the correct driver for your chipset Pterocarpous. I'll check some other sections of their site and also look at Asus once more in case they have anything else.

    Otherwise it will have to be back to the Realtek driver you used originally but without Mixer functions for the HD audio.

    //EDIT:
    Realtek have released version R1.54 of their HD audio codec by the way, so if your version is older you'd be better off using that one since none of the VIA alternatives can be installed.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    If you see what goes on in some other threads here then you'll see a real saga :)
    I can't imagine how the VIA website can't provide the correct driver for your chipset Pterocarpous. I'll check some other sections of their site and also look at Asus once more in case they have anything else.
    Otherwise it will have to be back to the Realtek driver you used originally but without Mixer functions for the HD audio.
    Thankyou nonstop301. Maybe you'll find something I missed. You've been a trooper in any case. I really appreciate it.

    I did manage to get the VIA HD v180b audio codec installed. Took some futzing w/ the BIOS and renaming files but I got it to take. Results were the same though. No mixers. So, that functionality simply is not, on any level, built into the VIA 8237A Southbridge chipset or there's something wrong with the chipset. In any case, it apparently just isn't going to work.

    I'm going to try the software that you recommended keeping my fingers and toes crossed in hopes that it works.

    P.S.
    I've been working w/in XPMCE throughout this process. I didn't think it was an OS compatibility issue so I haven't tried any of what was discussed here on the XPPRO build (multi-boot system). If ya'll think that might be an issue, please, let me know. I will say that I am having the exact same problem on the XPPRO build. (dontcha love it when someone throws you a curve like that! :bigggrin: )
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    If you see what goes on in some other threads here then you'll see a real saga :) ...
    I shouldn't call it that. Don't want to make others feel bad who might have a thread that runs long, too. Sometimes, that's just what it takes, yes?
    nonstop301 said:
    ...//EDIT: Realtek have released version R1.54 of their HD audio codec by the way, so if your version is older you'd be better off using that one since none of the VIA alternatives can be installed.
    Thankyou, nonstop301. That's more recent than the one from VIA. I'm downloading it n-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ow. {snooooooorrrrrr} What is with these .tw sites? It takes forever to download anything. I had the same problems on VIA and on Asus' web sites.....:confused2

    I'll keep ya posted...
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited Jan 2007
    Pterocarpous said:

    I did manage to get the VIA HD v180b audio codec installed. Took some futzing w/ the BIOS and renaming files but I got it to take. Results were the same though. No mixers. So, that functionality simply is not, on any level, built into the VIA 8237A Southbridge chipset or there's something wrong with the chipset. In any case, it apparently just isn't going to work.
    It looks like your South Bridge chipset doesn't want to mix it with the Mixers :) Keep an eye out though because in the future VIA might release better drivers that have the function added in. nVIDIA didn't have the Mixer tool for my motherboard available on the day I first visited their site for drivers. It was added later and noticed it was there when I looked for other chipset driver updates.

    I don't think using WinXP PRO or Media Centre makes any difference when it comes to driver installation :) They are essentially the same operating system...

    ______
    //EDIT:
    I would however install drivers under WinXP PRO if had a dual boot system :)
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    ...Keep an eye out though because in the future VIA might release better drivers...
    I'll do that. I tried the latest Realtek drivers, btw. Same thing, no mixers.
    nonstop301 said:
    ....I don't think using WinXP PRO or Media Centre makes any difference when it comes to driver installation...They are essentially the same operating system...
    Exactly. That's why I didn't bother w/ the other OS. Just wanted to put it out there in case I was off my rocker or somethin'....
    nonstop301 said:
    ...I would however install drivers under WinXP PRO if had a dual boot system...
    Oh I will. Just wanted to see what was left after the dust settled on the XPMCE build.

    Thanx again for all your help. Though not successful, it (this process) has been instructive. :)
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited Jan 2007
    It's a shame that the drivers couldn't provide the solution you are hoping for Pterocarpous.

    Thanks for all your kind words and you do a splendid job yourself helping people here who face far more urgent and awkward problems with their computers :)

    Don't forget the software QCH2002 recommended or other similar tools that could allow you to do a bit of internet stream recording on the Asus as well :) At the end of day if you're not satisfied with them either, then you could just pop in a PCI sound card that supports this sort of thing like Thrax originally mentioned.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    It's a shame that the drivers couldn't provide the solution you are hoping for Pterocarpous.
    Thanks for all your kind words and you do a splendid job yourself helping people here who face far more urgent and awkward problems with their computers :)
    Don't forget the software QCH2002 recommended or other similar tools that could allow you to do a bit of internet stream recording on the Asus as well :) At the end of day if you're not satisfied with them either, then you could just pop in a PCI sound card that supports this sort of thing like Thrax originally mentioned.
    Thankyou nonstop301. It is a shame, huh? Well, that's just the way the mop flops sometimes. Gotta move on, I reckon.

    Thankyou for the positive feedback and you're most welcome for the kind words. You certainly earned them. I've only been around here since December 15th, but I can tell you I'm sold. Ya'll are the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch I've run across. I'm sold on Short Media! :thumbsup:

    I'm gonna check out QCH2002's software recommendation today too. (Thank you QCH2002!) I'll let ya'll know how it pans out.

    If it comes down to having to add an expansion card I'll probably take a pass. I don't have a slot available and there's nothing I'm willing to take out. So I'll have to confine audio stream recording to my other desktop system.
  • edited Jan 2007
    hi nonstop301 and Pterocarpous, I wonder you have found any new solution to ur stereo-and-mono-mix-does-not-appear problem?

    I have the same problem with my new Dell 640m notebook now. The sound card is SigmaTel STAC9200. The motherboard chipset is Intel 945 Express. In the pre-installed Windows XP MCE, which claims to have all the updated drivers, only "Line in" and "Microphone" appear in the "Recording" page. I could not find any driver in Intel's site. SigmaTel website doesn't provide any driver at all.

    any way to tell whether the limitation is in the hardware (either motherboard or sound card) or drivers?
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    cais said:
    hi nonstop301 and Pterocarpous, I wonder you have found any new solution to ur stereo-and-mono-mix-does-not-appear problem?
    I have the same problem with my new Dell 640m notebook now. The sound card is SigmaTel STAC9200. The motherboard chipset is Intel 945 Express. In the pre-installed Windows XP MCE, which claims to have all the updated drivers, only "Line in" and "Microphone" appear in the "Recording" page. I could not find any driver in Intel's site. SigmaTel website doesn't provide any driver at all.
    any way to tell whether the limitation is in the hardware (either motherboard or sound card) or drivers?
    Hi Cais. Welcome to Short Media!
    Well, it turned out in the end to be (most likely) a limitation of the chipset or the chipset drivers. In my case the issue is with the integrated Realtek HD (high definition) sound. Unfortunately there aren't any new drivers that change the situation either from the motherboard manufacturer (Asus) or the chipset manufacturer (VIA).
    QCH2002 recommended a 3rd party software utility I could try but I haven't had time to try it out yet. Lemmee find that in the thread and I'll post it again here.

    EDIT://
    Ok, got it. Please, refer back to QCH2002's post # 16 in this thread.
    I'd recommend you follow the steps that I did - that is to check for updated codecs, drivers from the manufacturer and drivers from the chipset manufacturer. You may get lucky and find that updated drivers fix the problem for you.

    Be sure to let us know if you have any luck w/ this! :)
  • edited Jan 2007
    Pterocarpous said:
    Hi Cais. Welcome to Short Media!
    Well, it turned out in the end to be (most likely) a limitation of the chipset or the chipset drivers. In my case the issue is with the integrated Realtek HD (high definition) sound. Unfortunately there aren't any new drivers that change the situation either from the motherboard manufacturer (Asus) or the chipset manufacturer (VIA).
    QCH2002 recommended a 3rd party software utility I could try but I haven't had time to try it out yet. Lemmee find that in the thread and I'll post it again here.
    Thanks for the quick response, Pterocarpous.
    I have checked both chipset manufacturer (Intel) and sound card (Sigmatel) and notebook vendor (Dell). The current driver as shipped is the "latest".
    Pterocarpous said:

    EDIT://
    Ok, got it. Please, refer back to QCH2002's post # 16 in this thread.
    I'd recommend you follow the steps that I did - that is to check for updated codecs, drivers from the manufacturer and drivers from the chipset manufacturer. You may get lucky and find that updated drivers fix the problem for you.

    Be sure to let us know if you have any luck w/ this! :)
    Thanks for spending the extra efforts. This recommended software by QCH2002 seems to be at a higher level. It assumes Stereo Mix/Mono Mix etc are already there.

    Anyway, I have found a few threads in dell forums and another forum about this problem, which seems to be a very well known one. I will try out their solutions and post back any good news.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    Ahhh rats! That's what I was afraid of. Do definetly post back here and let us (me) know if you find a cure (or not). Still very interested in resolving this issue w/o having to add a sound card.

    Good Luck!! :thumbsup:
  • edited Jan 2007
    I think this is mostly a driver issue, at least for the SigmaTel sound card that came with Dell. AFter going through the related threads and with some of my own experiments, I was finally able to get Stereo Mix come out. And I can record sound stream from music players. Unfortunately, I still cannot record sound streams from music player and microphone at the same time. But this is still a big step forward. At least now I am not considering buying an external sound card.

    Basically it's about manually tuning the ini files in the driver installation files. Details could be found in the following threads:
    ----------unable to post links, will see how to post it later----------

    I would post back if I could solve the recording issue.


    cais
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    cais said:
    I think this is mostly a driver issue, at least for the SigmaTel sound card that came with Dell. AFter going through the related threads and with some of my own experiments, I was finally able to get Stereo Mix come out. And I can record sound stream from music players. Unfortunately, I still cannot record sound streams from music player and microphone at the same time. But this is still a big step forward. At least now I am not considering buying an external sound card.
    Basically it's about manually tuning the ini files in the driver installation files. Details could be found in the following threads:
    ----------unable to post links, will see how to post it later----------
    I would post back if I could solve the recording issue.
    cais
    Thankyou cais. I sure would be interested in those INI file tweaks you spoke of. You can post a link here in such a way as the reader would have to reconstruct it if you like.

    e.g. www.yahoo.com = w w w . y a h o o . c o m (a space in between each character in the URL)
  • edited Jan 2007
    OK. now I have fully settled the sound card problem.

    The cannot-record problem that I mentioned earlier is solved. It is a simple setting problem. Just need to un-mute "Input Monitor" then everything works.

    Since I am still not able to post links, details would be posted by Pterocarpous later.

    cais
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    For those researching a similar issue or who are otherwise interested in following this thread, following are some links that Cais has been so kind as to pass on to me to post here. (Cais is still in his/her probationary period and cannot post links yet. That'll pass quickly, Cais, just stick around and keep participating!) Thankyou for the links!! :smiles: (Oh, Yes! And congratulations on resolving your problem! :thumbsup:)
    • original long and complicated thread
    • ini file for Dell Inspiron E1705 (required login to download)
    • solution for Dell Inspiron E1505
    • the ini file for E1505
    • my post about the solution to 640m/E1405
    • dell forum discussion of the issue, including my solution to my E1405 (reply 50)
  • edited Jan 2007
    Hello there, I'm suffering the same problem Pterocarpous is having with his Asus board. I have previously enjoyed this simple luxury on ALL of the asus boards I have used previously and it is a big disapointment to find that this board isnt willing to cooperate:banghead:

    I have exhausted all the different options with drivers etc. to no avail, really really hoping somebody comes up with a solution soon:respect: I dont want to install a pci card so I guess I'll just have to wait for that miracle driver update or something?

    any updates? something:eek3: :eek3:

    thanks
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    rx7_ben said:
    Hello there, I'm suffering the same problem Pterocarpous is having with his Asus board. I have previously enjoyed this simple luxury on ALL of the asus boards I have used previously and it is a big disapointment to find that this board isnt willing to cooperate:banghead:

    I have exhausted all the different options with drivers etc. to no avail, really really hoping somebody comes up with a solution soon:respect: I dont want to install a pci card so I guess I'll just have to wait for that miracle driver update or something?

    any updates? something:eek3: :eek3:

    thanks
    Hi rx7_ben. Welcome to Short Media!

    Sorry, nothin' yet. :sad2: Looks like a (VIA) chipset issue. I've sworn off VIA as a result of this and other problems I've had w/ the motherboard. We don't close our threads here (except for in the Spyware forum) so come on back if you ever run across a solution that doesn't require installing an expansion card.

    Why dontcha stick around anyway? We're a friendly bunch. :bigggrin:
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited Jan 2007
    I don't have HD audio in the current computer I'm using but have you tried what is outlined here in the Mixer section of the Realtek High Definition Sound Effect Manager control screens ?

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00377375&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    nonstop301 said:
    I don't have HD audio in the current computer I'm using but have you tried what is outlined here in the Mixer section of the Realtek High Definition Sound Effect Manager control screens ?...
    Hi nonstop301. Thankyou for the suggestion. I tried there, too. Unfortunately, the sound effects manager works off of what the chipset & drivers make available. The core issue is that there's no "Mixer" input option. That's the option that is needed for "what-you-hear" recording - e.g. streaming audio. :sad2:
  • edited Jan 2007
    Pterocarpous said:


    Back to takin' a look at ARWizard3......
    Hi everyone! I have that integrated Realtek HD Audio on my new PC too.

    That ARWizard3 program won't do it either. The options come up with the usual Line In, Mic, Front Mic, and CD.

    The only program I have found that will do the job is a program called TOTAL RECORDER. (oops, can't add links! Just squish it together and add a dot com)

    I tested the trial version and it works fine, but I'm thinking a new sound card might be best for me.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    deuce said:
    ...I have that integrated Realtek HD Audio on my new PC too...That ARWizard3 program won't do it either. The options come up with the usual Line In, Mic, Front Mic, and CD...The only program I have found that will do the job is a program called TOTAL RECORDER. (oops, can't add links! Just squish it together and add a dot com)...I tested the trial version and it works fine, but I'm thinking a new sound card might be best for me...
    Hi Deuce! Welcome to Short Media!

    Thankyou for your info. re: Total Recorder. HERE's the link to that program for those who would like to check it out. It's produced by a company called HighCriteria. The last update was just this past December to ver 6.1. It's only $17.95US and might be a great alternative for those who do not wish to (or don't have a slot available to) add a sound card to their system.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [CENTER]Here's HighCriteria's pitch for Total Recorder:[/CENTER]
    Total Recorder is a unique solution for recording streaming audio. Most recording programs, rely on the sound card to feedback what has been played. For these solutions, your sound card must have "Stereo Mix" or "What You Hear" recording sources....

    That's exactly what the problem has been w/ the Realtek HD audio...

    ...Instead of relying on the sound card, Total Recorder captures the sound stream directly from Windows, before the audio goes to the sound card. This unique approach eliminates multiple conversions that occur with other types of solutions. The Total Recorder solution also eliminates the need for a "what-you-hear" type sound card.

    [CENTER]How Total Recorder Captures The Sound Stream[/CENTER]
    Total Recorder uses a virtual sound driver to capture the sound output from other programs like Real Audio and Windows Media Player. By installing the driver, and setting it as the default, different sound reproducing programs send their output stream to Total Recorder's driver and not to the driver of a real device. Total Recorder then passes the information to the sound card driver...

    Sounds like the ticket! I'll check that out... :D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------


    Thanx again, Deuce! :thumbsup:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited Jan 2007
    I'm glad I read this thread. I had the same prob. I listen to comedy progs streamed from BBC Radio 4 but sound recorder just ignored them. I had the Realtek AC97 and the stereo mix option with my Asus board. After reading through this thread I went to device manager and let windows update the sound drivers, which it did, to Nvidia drivers. Then I went into audio properties, record, checked select under stereo mix and it works. Now I can record streaming audio. Neat.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA!
    edited Jan 2007
    bothered said:
    I'm glad I read this thread. I had the same prob. I listen to comedy progs streamed from BBC Radio 4 but sound recorder just ignored them. I had the Realtek AC97 and the stereo mix option with my Asus board. After reading through this thread I went to device manager and let windows update the sound drivers, which it did, to Nvidia drivers. Then I went into audio properties, record, checked select under stereo mix and it works. Now I can record streaming audio. Neat.
    Glad it helped, bothered. I have AC97 on my other system and haven't had any problems w/ recording streaming audio on that one. (It has the MIXER option.) Looks like you just needed a good ol' drivers update. :smiles:
  • billymoralesbillymorales Bronx, New York
    edited Dec 2008
    Problem recording music using HD Audio?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

    Go to the control panel, pick sound and audio devices (the speaker picture), then go to the voice tab, then pick voice recording (microphone picture) then to volume box, click it.
    Go to the stereo mix volume control mute box and uncheck it.
    By doing this procedure this will allow you to record from a recording program.
Sign In or Register to comment.