Error #993, #332... HELP! Trying to format my HDD using Partition Magic 8.0

rhenzhenrhenzhen New York
edited January 2007 in Hardware
To all experts out there... I need help... Im trying to format my Maxtor 160gb SATA HDD and it giving me an error.... I tried normal format and it hangs at 36 percent... I used Partition Magic 8.0 and gives me an error... Error #993 and Error #332... I tried quick format and no problems... But when I run CHKDSK /r and hangs at 36 percent as well... Could someone can help me? PLEASE! Thanks very much!

Comments

• ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Follow the instructions HERE. Your hard drive probably has bad sectors.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    rhenzhen wrote:
    To all experts out there... I need help... Im trying to format my Maxtor 160gb SATA HDD and it giving me an error.... I tried normal format and it hangs at 36 percent... I used Partition Magic 8.0 and gives me an error... Error #993 and Error #332... I tried quick format and no problems... But when I run CHKDSK /r and hangs at 36 percent as well... Could someone can help me? PLEASE! Thanks very much!
    Hello rhenzhen. Welcome to Short Media!
    Here is a link to Partition Magic Error Messages and solutions. Error # 993 is included there, however Error # 332 isn't.

Please, try the solutions for Error # 993 and let us know if this helps.
    edited January 2007
    Oooops! Sorry Thrax. We must've both been typing our respective posts at the same time.

INFO:
    Error # 993 is an "open files" error. Not sure about # 332 yet.
    "#993 Partition contains open files. Use the operating system check utility.
    To fix this error, disable any anti-virus programs on your system and run a thorough ScanDisk. You cannot use the Check for Errors operation on a partition with open files."

So, rhenzhen, just as Thrax suspected..... (possible bad sectors on the new HDD)
  • rhenzhenrhenzhen New York
    edited January 2007
    Guys, thanks to all your inputs... Im sorry i forgot to ask that my Motherboard is has no SATA capability, so Im using it as external HDD... could i still be able to use this software? Thanks again!
    edited January 2007
    ;)
    rhenzhen wrote:
    Guys, thanks to all your inputs... Im sorry i forgot to ask that my Motherboard is has no SATA capability, so Im using it as external HDD... could i still be able to use this software? Thanks again!
    The short answer is Yes. However, it may depend upon how the HDD is connected to your computer.

Is the HDD in an external "enclosure"? If so, what type of connection are your using to connect the enclosure to your computer (USB, firewire?)

PS, Guys & Gals! (see signature below) ;)
    edited January 2007
    I was unable to find anything about Partition Magic Error 332.

Are you sure it's "332" and that Partition Magic is generating the error?

What version of Partition Magic are you using?

This may be moot, however, if it turns out the HDD is bad after all.
    edited January 2007
    Pronouns will be pronouns, Fruitwing. Hard to fight demographics. ;D

Anyways, the software will work if the computer's BIOS knows how to configure USB flash drives and external hard drives.
    edited January 2007
    Okay i run chddsk /r and no problems... no bad sectors... but still hang when im trying to normal format at 30-40 percent, quick format, no problems... This drive driving me crazy... Any more suggestions and tips to successfully format this damn HDD? Thanks again guys! I really appreaciate you help!!!
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Pronouns will be pronouns, Fruitwing. Hard to fight demographics. ;D
    Anyways, the software will work if the computer's BIOS knows how to configure USB flash drives and external hard drives.
    True but awareness of one's surroundings is not a bad thing either.... Been going through this all my adult life as a minority in this field. Hard to understand it's impact unless you are the one forever on the receiving end of effectively being invisible...
    edited January 2007
    Pterocarpous,

Yes, I'm using external enclosure (SATA to USB)... I'm using Partition Magic 8.0... Error #332 came out once, when PM suggest to reboot my pc to format my hdd... Any other way to format this drive other than normal format and Partition Magic? Thanks again!
    edited January 2007
    rhenzhen wrote:
    Okay i run chddsk /r and no problems... no bad sectors... but still hang when im trying to normal format at 30-40 percent, quick format, no problems... This drive driving me crazy... Any more suggestions and tips to successfully format this damn HDD? Thanks again guys! I really appreaciate you help!!!

It may have to do w/ what connection type you are using. Exactly how is the HDD connected to your computer?
    edited January 2007
    rhenzhen wrote:
    Pterocarpous,

Yes, I'm using external enclosure (SATA to USB)... I'm using Partition Magic 8.0... Error #332 came out once, when i reboot and tried to format my hdd... Any other way to format this drive other than normal format and Partition Magic? Thanks again guys!

I know it takes a lot longer, particularly for larger capacity HDDs, but you may have to do it in: Administrative Tools> Computer Management>Disk Management
    edited January 2007
    It may have to do w/ what connection type you are using. Exactly how is the HDD connected to your computer?

Im using external enclosure(SATA to USB)<->(USB to USB)Computer.
    edited January 2007
    I know it takes a lot longer, particularly for larger capacity HDDs, but you may have to do it in: Administrative Tools> Computer Management>Disk Management
    I would try that... Thanks man!
    edited January 2007
    rhenzhen wrote:
    I would try that... Thanks gal!

Fixed. ;)
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Fixed. ;)
    OOPS! My Bad... Sorry! :banghead:
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Fixed. ;)
    rhenzhen wrote:
    OOPS! My Bad... Sorry! :banghead:
    ROFLOL! OK! Now you g-u-y-s are crackin' me up! Thankyou for being such sports. :D
    edited January 2007
    Dammit! No luck! It stopped moving around 36-40 percent! Sigh!
    edited January 2007
    rhenzhen wrote:
    Dammit! No luck! It stopped moving around 36-40 percent! Sigh!
    Ok. Let's try something else. You can try Maxtor's bootable diagnostic. I don't know if it'll detect USB drives. Perhaps someone else reading this thread knows. In the interim, you might want to give it a go.

Download Maxtor PowerMax 4.23 HDD diagnostic utility
    floppy diskette version or CD ISO image version

If you would prefer to create a bootable CD (rather than a bootable floppy diskette) and you have a CD or DVD writer.... please, read on.

If you don't have a utility that can create a CD from an ISO image, here's a free one for you. There're instructions included.

To extract an ISO file and "burn" or "write" it to a CD writable or DVD writable disc, please, download and run BurnCDCC Free ISO Utility. The program requires no actual โ€œinstallationโ€. Instructions for using the utility are included in a file called README.TXT:
    Note: (1) If you are running Windows 98, Windows ME or Windows 2000, you must have 3rd party software (software that is not included with your operating system) installed in order to โ€œburnโ€ or write to a writable CD or DVD disc. (2) Regardless of the operating system, you must have a CD or DVD writer installed in order to write to CDs or DVDs.

Just let us know if you get stuck or have any questions.
    edited January 2007
    Detecting USB drives is dependent on whether or not the computer's <i>BIOS</i> can do that.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Detecting USB drives is dependent on whether or not the computer's <i>BIOS</i> can do that.
    :doh: !! Sorry 'bout that! :rolleyes2
    edited January 2007
    No dice! It won't detect my USB... :(
    edited January 2007
    You could disassemble the unit's external HDD enclosure, and plug the drive directly into the system for diagnostic purposes.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    You could disassemble the unit's external HDD enclosure, and plug the drive directly into the system for diagnostic purposes.

I know that, but the problem is my Motherboard don't support SATA HDD, only PATA... I have SATA HDD.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    rhenzhen wrote:
    I know that, but the problem is my Motherboard don't support SATA HDD, only PATA... I have SATA HDD.
    Then your only recourse is to find a computer where you can do what Thrax suggested. IOW, if your computer does not have the hardware you need then you need to (1) add that hardware to your computer (e.g. a SATA controller) or (2) find a computer that does have the hardware you need and perform the diagnostic there.