No Firewall or AV - Short Video

TroganTrogan London, UK
edited January 2007 in Science & Tech
This may be old, but first time I've seen it. Connecting to the internet without a Firewall and AV is not a good thing.

http://www.bbcworld.com/content/clickonline_archive_14_2005.asp?pageid=665&co_pageid=3

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    7 years, virus/anti-virus free, here. ;)
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    I don't remember the last time I had one either. I've had my anti-v stop a few things at the border, but I think it's been a few years since I've had some crud get in there good.

Then there was the house I was at yesterday. Anti-v subscriptions expired last July. Its just not important to some people. Period.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    If you're careful, AV is not necessary.

Firewall on the other hand, highly necessary. What they're saying is that you should never plug a Windows XP machine directly into the internet (i.e. - don't let your winXP machine have a static IP on the internet) - but if you run it behind any consumer-grade router you're fine.

My servers get port scanned and vulnerability scanned hundreds and hundreds of times a day. Sometimes thousands. It's true - if you plug a Win XP machine directly to your cable modem with no firewall, you're basically screwed.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Absolutely. Firewalls are the win. Intelligence and care will take care of the rest.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    I kinda like clicking with reckless abondon.......
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2007
    BS...I wonder who he set up to hack into his computer right away. No way within minutes your computer becomes totally useless.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Wow! Thanx Trogan. Saved the link to show to clients whom I'm forever (and quite often futilely) trying to convince of the efficacy of AV and Firewall protection.

You're right, Trogan. Some people you just can't get through to.