Freeware Alternative to Acronis True Image?

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Science & Tech
Is there such a thing? True Image is nice - tried the free trial version - but I am cheap, so I'd rather not spend the $50 :wink:

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    fmueller wrote:
    Is there such a thing? True Image is nice - tried the free trial version - but I am cheap, so I'd rather not spend the $50 :wink:
    Torrent? :eek:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I don't know of a free software that is as good as Acronis True Image. I also looked for one before buying Acronis and am paying also to keep it to latest version which is Version 10 now.

You could use Backup\Restore in Windows to do a full backup, given that rstrui.exe runs from a Command Prompt boot menu selection ((Type F8 to get the menu)and then a path typed in(NO, you do NOT have to have Windows booting all the way into graphics mode to use it). Q304409 is the original article on Microsoft's site about using rstrui.exe from a command prompt, including what to type for path. But, they are rearranging the articles so I would just search for rstrui.exe in the search box at Microsoft Com. One codicil: rstrui does not run from the recovery console that you get to with and from running the install CD.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    If it is backup solution, then cobian would be the answer for freeware. As far as freeware imaging, still looking.

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    fmueller wrote:
    I don't know of one either, Frank. I used PowerQuest Drive Image for years (never liked Ghost at all) until they upgraded to a version which was buggy when restoring NTFS file system operating system builds. I learned of Acronis True Image (and Acronis Disk Director, BTW) from reading through other forums (b4 finding Short Media of course :wink: ). Tried them both out and was sold. They are both fantastic utilities. Acronis True Image is far better than PowerQuest Drive Image, IMHO. It's well worth the investment. Utilities like these last for years and have the potential for paying for themselves over and over again. I use Acronis True Image in my work and for maintaining my own computers. It's an invaluable tool. I'd be lost w/out it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I use Cobain. Nice program.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    We're mixing up two different types of tasks here:
    1. Imaging (taking a snapshot of a volume and saving it to a file or files that can be used to restore the volume or files w/in the volume at a later date)
    2. Data Backup (backing up one's data, not the OS build, etc.)
    One does not negate the need for the other. The best Preventative Maintenance, IMHO, is to have a recent image of one's primary partition.

The image should be updated whenever any major changes are made to the system build. (new hardware, software, OS updates/upgrades, etc.)

This saves having to rebuild a system from scratch in the event of HDD failure or some other catastrophic event.

In between creation of these images, one should regularly and frequently backup his/her data.

These two tasks usually require two different utilities - each made to accomplish the particular task.

While there are "free" backup utilities; much more functionality can be had by purchasing a quality backup utility.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Right, Ptero. Quite often here at Short-Media we write "backup" whether we mean imaging or simply data backup.

For data backup I use Cobian (freeware).

For images/total system backups, I use Acronis. I really like Ghost, but didn't want all the gunk that it is bundled with in Norton Systemworks. I guess you can purchase Ghost separately, but maybe I didn't look long enough. Well, whatever, I don't regret my purchase of Acronis at all. It's top notch.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Many thanks for all the input. I should have been more precise and specified that I was more interested in the imaging part of the equation, but I'll certainly have a look at some of the backup software you suggested as well!

Frank