Local Area connection for Wireless disappeared

chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I need help with my kids' computer. I had it connected to the internet using a linksys wireless adapter. I have a linksys router with five computers on the network...one hard wire...four wireless.

Yesterday, my daughter told me she couldnt get her computer to connect to the network. It was working fine before. But now I can't see any wireless connection icon and no wireless connection is listed in my network places.

I did a ipconfig and there is no wireless connection.

I spoke with linksys and they walked me through some trouble shooting and finally told me the tcp/ip binding is not present for hte wireless connection. Said kids might have accidentally deleted it or maybe spyware killed it. They said I would have to have a computer tech reinstall it for me.

Is that something one of you could help walk me through or do I need to take the computer to a repair tech? It is an HP desktop and I am running windows XP home edition...service pack 2 installed.

Thanks!
Chip Atkinson

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Hey ya Chip. It could well be a malware issue. It's really hard to tell at this stage. 1st, let's get the computer connected to the Internet if possible. Can you move it into the room where the router is and hardwire it to the router? Lessee if the problem persists over her hardwire connection.

Just in case a bug is involved, I recommend you disable file sharing on the other computers on the network for now 'till we get this sorted out.

EDIT://
    I'm assuming the remaining wireless connections are working properly, yes?
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited January 2007
    Thanks. Sorry it took me a while to disconnect and move the computer from the other end of the house. I am connected to the internet and using that computer to post this reply.

Yes the other wireless computers are accessing the network fine.
    Hey ya Chip. It could well be a malware issue. It's really hard to tell at this stage. 1st, let's get the computer connected to the Internet if possible. Can you move it into the room where the router is and hardwire it to the router? Lessee if the problem persists over her hardwire connection.

Just in case a bug is involved, I recommend you disable file sharing on the other computers on the network for now 'till we get this sorted out.

I'm assuming the remaining wireless connections are working properly, yes?
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    So then, the adapter is not present in the Network Connections area? If it is, what is the status? When you right click on the adapter, click on available networks and see what is there. Check device manager to see if the device is present and is not exhibiting problems there. If nothing, what is your signal strength? You could try the repair option, to see if it can re-establish communication. Also, ensure that no other 2.4Ghz devices are in use while troubleshooting, i.e. phones, microwaves, etc.

Is the adapter external? If it is, reseat it and then reboot the bopc.

I have some more, but let me know if you need.
    edited January 2007
    I have the wireless adapter connected through usb...and the computer is also hardwired to the internet modem ...that is how i am on the internet now.

Device manager says the adapter is present and working properly. But there is no wireless network icon available for me to click and check available wireless networks...etc. There are no other 2.4 GHz devices in use.

Adapter is external and i've reseated it several times and rebooted my pc several times to see if wireless icon might reappear.

So then, the adapter is not present in the Network Connections area? If it is, what is the status? When you right click on the adapter, click on available networks and see what is there. Check device manager to see if the device is present and is not exhibiting problems there. If nothing, what is your signal strength? You could try the repair option, to see if it can re-establish communication. Also, ensure that no other 2.4Ghz devices are in use while troubleshooting, i.e. phones, microwaves, etc.

Is the adapter external? If it is, reseat it and then reboot the bopc.

I have some more, but let me know if you need.
    edited January 2007
    Thanks. Sorry it took me a while to disconnect and move the computer from the other end of the house. I am connected to the internet and using that computer to post this reply. Yes the other wireless computers are accessing the network fine.
    Ok, chip. Back now. :tongue: Do you know what model wireless network interface card (NIC) you have on that computer. If Linksys' assessment is correct, then we will need to re-install and configure the adapter. First, will will need to uninstall the NIC and manually remove its driver file(s).

Right-click on your MY COMPUTER icon on the desktop
    Choose properties at the bottom of the context menu that pops up
    Click on the HARDWARE tab
    Click on the DEVICE MANAGER button
    Click the [+] sign next to NETWORK ADAPTERS
    What exactly do you see there? (Need model no. etc. of the NIC)
    Also, while you're at it, do you see any red X's or yellow exclamation marks in the list?
    edited January 2007
    Chip,
    Something else you might want to try, as well is connecting that USB NIC to another computer. Install it's drivers. Then see if it will work properly. That'll be a quick way to tell if the issue is w/ the NIC itself or not.

Do you have the CD that came w/ the NIC?
    edited January 2007
    Ok...I see a linksys usb wireless -G adapter with speed booster V2. It is model number WUSB54GS and there are no red Xs or yellow exclamation points.

When i look at network connections there is no option for wireless local area connection.

Ok, chip. Back now. :tongue: Do you know what model wireless network interface card (NIC) you have on that computer. If Linksys' assessment is correct, then we will need to re-install and configure the adapter.

Right-click on your MY COMPUTER icon on the desktop
    Choose properties at the bottom of the context menu that pops up
    Click on the HARDWARE tab
    Click on the DEVICE MANAGER button
    Click the [+] sign next to NETWORK ADAPTERS
    What exactly do you see there? (Need model no. etc. of the NIC)
    Also, while you're at it, do you see any red X's or yellow exclamation marks in the list?
    edited January 2007
    the adapter is about a month old and yes I do have the CD that comes with it.
    edited January 2007
    the linksys monitor says the device is working properly but there is no internet connection available. The linksys tech said the TCP/IP binding was lost and needed to be restored. That was way over my head to understand!!
    edited January 2007
    the adapter is about a month old and yes I do have the CD that comes with it.
    How do ya feel about trying it out on another system real quick?

NOTE: If you do decide to try this, be sure to create a System Restore Point on the computer you intend to try it on 1st. If you don't know how to do this, just post back here...
    edited January 2007
    the linksys monitor says the device is working properly but there is no internet connection available. The linksys tech said the TCP/IP binding was lost and needed to be restored. That was way over my head to understand!!
    Hang on. I think I have a utility that might help ya out. Lemme find it on one of my drives real quick...
    edited January 2007
    not sure how to do that....the other computers have external adapters too. Will it mess them up to change adapters? They aren't using linksys...think they are netgear external adapters and one is an internal card.
    edited January 2007
    not sure how to do that....the other computers have external adapters too. Will it mess them up to change adapters? They aren't using linksys...think they are netgear external adapters and one is an internal card.
    That's a good point, Chip. Please, go HERE and download LSP Fix 1.1 If you don't know how to open "zipped" files, download LSPFIX.exe

I'm still thinking it has something to do w/ the NIC drivers, but just in case, let's try this:
    Create a System Restore Point
    Then run LSP Fix (double-click on LSPFix.exe)
    Restart your computer.
    Let's see if the adapter shows up in Network Connections now
    edited January 2007
    I downloaded the lspfix file, created a restore point, ran the program and it identified no problems. I restarted the computer and still no adapter in network connections.

That's a good point, Chip. Please, go HERE and download LSP Fix 1.1 If you don't know how to open "zipped" files, download LSPFIX.exe

I'm still thinking it has something to do w/ the NIC drivers, but just in case, let's try this:
    Create a System Restore Point
    Then run LSP Fix (double-click on LSPFix.exe)
    Restart your computer.
    Let's see if the adapter shows up in Network Connections now
    edited January 2007
    I downloaded the lspfix file, created a restore point, ran the program and it identified no problems. I restarted the computer and still no adapter in network connections.
    Ok, we've ruled out a Winsock problem then. I didn't think that'd be the issue since your hardwired connection is working. Since it's a kid's computer, I suspect she's installed file sharing programs, etc. (these types of programs are notorious for causing Winsock issues) so, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Next we need to get the NIC uninstalled. Along w/ it's accompanying software and driver.

I'll post directions in my next post. Just wanted to get this to you since I think you might be waiting...
    edited January 2007
    1. Get to the USB NIC in Device Manager as you did before
    2. Right click on the NIC in NETWORK ADAPTERS
    3. Choose PROPERTIES at the bottom
    4. Click on the DRIVER tab
    5. Now, in case there've been some recent (albiet inadvertent) changes to your drivers, click the ROLL BACK DRIVER button
    6. Click OK
    7. Close DEVICE MANAGER & reboot
    Let's see if the NIC shows up in NETWORK CONNECTIONS
    edited January 2007
    I really appreciate your help. I have to head to work now. If you could post suggestions along with detailed direction a non computer person like me could follow, I'll try them when I get back from work.

Thanks again for your help!!
    Chip
    edited January 2007
    I really appreciate your help. I have to head to work now. If you could post suggestions along with detailed direction a non computer person like me could follow, I'll try them when I get back from work.

Thanks again for your help!!
    Chip
    Just tell me (or anyone helping you) anytime there is anything you don't understand. We'll gladly rephrase our instructions for you.

Was there part of my previous post you didn't understand? (that's why I list the instructions w/ numbers. You can just tell me which line no.(s) you had difficulty with)

We'll be here, Chip. We only close threads in the Spyware forum. So come on back (to this thread) when you're ready to begin again. :smiles:
    edited January 2007
    I clicked on roll back drivers and it said there had not been any changes. Rebooted and still dont have it in network connections.

1. Get to the USB NIC in Device Manager as you did before
    2. Right click on the NIC in NETWORK ADAPTERS
    3. Choose PROPERTIES at the bottom
    4. Click on the DRIVER tab
    5. Now, in case there've been some recent (albiet inadvertent) changes to your drivers, click the ROLL BACK DRIVER button
    6. Click OK
    7. Close DEVICE MANAGER & reboot
    Let's see if the NIC shows up in NETWORK CONNECTIONS
    edited January 2007
    I have understood everything you've asked so far.

Thanks!
    edited January 2007
    I have understood everything you've asked so far.
    Thanks!
    Ok. The next step is to uninstall the driver and the software that came w/ the USB NIC. This is a Linksys NIC so you probably don't use Linksys' wireless management utility. Instead you use Windows' Wireless Management utility, right? If you are using a Linksys wireless management utility, please, let me know b4 proceeding.
    1. Create another System Restore Point
      Call it "B4 uninstalling USB NIC" for example.
    2. Get back to the USB NIC in DEVICE MANAGER
    3. Right-click on the USB NIC
    4. Choose PROPERTIES
    5. Click on the DRIVER tab
    6. Click on DRIVER DETAILS
    7. What path & file name do you see there?
      e.g. [c:\windows\system32\drivers\el90xbc5.sys]
    8. Look in the bottom of the window. What is the file version number?
    9. Once you've made careful note of this information, click OK
    10. Now, click the UNINSTALL button
    11. Follow the prompts.
    12. Click OK when necessary to leave a window.
    13. Now, disconnect the USB NIC from the computer
    14. Go into CONTROL PANEL then FOLDER OPTIONS
    15. Click on the VIEW tab
    16. See the pic attached here for configuration settings
    17. Click OK
    18. Navigate through Windows Explorer to the location of the driver file you indicated above.
      Following is assuming the driver file is located in the:
      [c:\windows\system32\drivers] directory.
      • Double-click on MY COMPUTER on your desktop
      • Double-click on drive "C"
      • Double-click on the WINDOWS directory
      • Double-click on the SYSTEM32 directory
      • Double-click on the DRIVERS directory
      • Click on VIEW at the top
      • Click on DETAILS
    19. Find the file and rename it by appending .old to the file name.
      e.g. (following the example I gave in step 7) [el90xbc5.sys.old]
    20. Reboot the computer - STILL w/ the USB NIC disconnected.
    21. Once you're booted back into Windows, create a new System Restore Point.
      Call it "Before Reinstalling NIC Drivers" for example.
    22. Reconnect the USB NIC
    23. Re-install it's drivers off of the CD that came w/ it
    24. Reboot if prompted
    25. Check NETWORK CONNECTIONS to see if the NIC shows there now.
    edited January 2007
    You are a queen Pterocarpous!!!!! I am posting this reply from my daughter's computer accessing the internet through the wireless adapter!!

You instructions worked perfectly. Thank you very much for your help!!!!

Chip
    edited January 2007
    You are a queen Pterocarpous!!!!! I am posting this reply from my daughter's computer accessing the internet through the wireless adapter!!...You instructions worked perfectly. Thank you very much for your help!!!!...Chip
    :celebrate Congratulations, Chip! That's what we like to see 'round here - happy campers. :bigggrin:

You did a bang up job yourself of being clear when describing your issues and the steps you've taken, answering questions and by following the instructions given you. That's all we ask.

Enjoy!! :woowoo: