Direct cable link via USB

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Science & Tech
Today I took the kids to the Dollar Store, and among all the other junk they had various types of USB cables. What caught me eye was a nifty little cable with a take-up spool in the middle. Retracted it measures only 4", but it expands up to 30". It's a male-male cable meant to provide a direct cable link between two computers. I love gadgets, and for a buck, there was no way I could leave it in the store :bigggrin:

227592329.jpg
227592325.jpg

I just plugged it into my laptop on one hand, and my desktop on the other, hoping that the machines would automatically detect that they were connected, and maybe take me to the install hardware wizard. However, no such thing happened, so I am at a loss now how I would use this cable. Do I need special software to make a direct cable link via USB work. If so, is there any freeware out there? Both computers are running Windows XP Pro.

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    If it's a USB cable, it won't build a network like an Ethernet cable would, you'll need something like this I think.

Also note... I have a couple hotels that have stuff like this, and any kind of cable that's retractable, is a BAD IDEA! I now wonder if they got their cables from the dollar store.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    Here's somethin' similar, Frank off the site that RWB posted. According to the write up, it's s'posed t' be plug-n-play.

It's quite possible the critter simply doesn't work....
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Frankly, I'd rather use Ethernet for networking.
    edited February 2007
    RWB wrote:
    Frankly, I'd rather use Ethernet for networking.
    I don't think it's meant to replace networking. I think it's probably a handy device folks can use for quick file transfers between two computers w/out having to fuss w/ network configuration. Most folks don't know how to use a cross over cable to connect two computers. Also, one wouldn't have to worry about joining a network, etc. They can completely skirt the usual networking issues and just connect directly to the computer they want to transfer files between.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    In that case Firewire may be best, or USB thumb drives. ;)
    edited February 2007
    RWB wrote:
    In that case Firewire may be best, or USB thumb drives. ;)
    Thumbdrive adds a step, though. Using a device like Frank has posted gives one the ability to drag and drop files between the computers.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Here's somethin' similar, Frank off the site that RWB posted. According to the write up, it's s'posed t' be plug-n-play. It's quite possible the critter simply doesn't work....

That thing seems to have a chip in there though, which presumable makes sure that the computers recognize each other; ie realize that the other one is there. The cable I have is just a cable without any electronics. The thing in the middle is merely a spring that rolls up the cable plus space for the cable itself when it's rolled up. It also sounds like for $30 there might be some software/drivers included. For $1 I didn't get any of this. Looks like I wasted a buck :wink:

Frank
    edited February 2007
    fmueller wrote:
    That thing seems to have a chip in there though, which presumable makes sure that the computers recognize each other; ie realize that the other one is there. The cable I have is just a cable without any electronics. The thing in the middle is merely a spring that rolls up the cable plus space for the cable itself when it's rolled up. It also sounds like for $30 there might be some software/drivers included. For $1 I didn't get any of this. Looks like I wasted a buck :wink:

Frank
    You'd think so but according to the write up it's plug and play. It does require the smarts in the middle, though. So, I don't see how the one you have would work. :scratch:

I think watcha have there is a (an inexpensive) paper weight... :rolleyes2
    edited February 2007
    RWB wrote:
    ...In that case Firewire...
    I missed that earlier. Yes, firewire would be a lot faster. :smiles: