Question about OCZ timings

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
I just received a kit of 2Gb ATI Crossfire certified. It is supposed to run at 4-4-4-15, but the spd is programmed to run at 5-5-5-16. Now it works fine when I do the override and set it manually, but I shouldn't have to override the spd. It should post and run at the specs it is sold under. This is plain old false advertising. I know all the manufacturers do it, but that doesn't make it right. I buy a car with 300 HP it better have 300 HP no matter what the computer sets the timings at.

Memory is no different. You sell it as 4-4-4-15 PC6400 it ought to post and run at 4-4-4-15 at 800Mhz, not 266 like the spd is programmed.

I ordered CAS 4 800 Mhz RAM and would like REAL CAS 4 800Mhz RAM.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Missileman,

You can't program 4-4-4 timings on the SPD, this is outside the Jedec spec for 800 MHz. You have to have 2V - 2.1V for 800 MHz operation and 4-4-4 timings, all motherboards run 1.8V by default for DDR2 which you cannot control from the SPD.
    If you program 4-4-4 at 800, your board would not boot when you first put the sticks in.

SPD is loose for compatibility purposes.

You said they operate correctly at rated speeds and timings, so you received real 800 MHz CAS 4 ram.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Well that makes sense if it is outside the spec. My board booted fine and I set the voltage up to 1.96 and did the 4-4-4-15. The Vista memory perrformance numbers went up from 5.4 to 5.6 over the "other" RAM which was running at 4-4-4-12 on overide also.

I also went back and found all the fine prints. My board is ATI crossfire certified, but not an ATI chipset (badaxe2)

The RAM performs better than I expected so I was actually okay with it, but I am constantly tickering with my settings so I like as much as possible on auto so i don't have to go set it after a cmos clear because I usually forget when I'm in that frustation mode :)

Thanks for the info.

Will have to go check out the spec closer next time.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Your board has the Intel 975x chipset, which means you can run any 2 crossfire cards on it, that has no bearing on what speeds the ram will run.

These are really good sticks and you could see DDR-1000 out of them at 5-5-5 timings.

5-5-5 is the Jedec Spec for 800 MHz at 1.8V, that is why the SPD is programmed that way.

These offer better than Jedec spec at 800, but need more voltage to get there.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Agreed with Ryder here. I have the exact same ram and to be honest, it beats the hell out of the much more expensive Microns that needs a ton of voltage too.

I wouldn't mind if you changed the title of the thread Missileman as it is very misleading, unless you really are upset with us for some reason.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I would be glad to delete the whole thing, but for some reason I do not have any edit or delete options available. Only thing it appears to let me do is close the thread.

I may be a bit slow, but I used to have edit buttons and now they are gone.

One of the mods can maybe delete it.

I have the edit button on this post. Mods must have a time limit turned on.