My A8V mobo is bad - what to do?

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited April 2007 in Hardware
I was going to ask if my mobo was broken because i had gotten a lot of random reboots and the floppy didn't seem to work after i installed a new ram and a new graphics board. The gp was doa so i installed my old one again. I regreted bying the ram figuring i might as well switch all parts in the system since i needed to have pci-e and therefor removed the new ram as well leaving the old that hasn't been giving me trouble.

But upon looking at the board thinking that something was broken i found something weird. Compare the upper attached image from hardwareluxx.com with the lower one i took. Clearly there's an circuit missing. :eek: :sad2:

Funny how the mobo could fold without trouble and even play ut2k4, on low resolution. Yet there was a part missing. :confused:

So the question now is what to do with it. The cpu and ram will be sold since they still work but is it possible to rma the board. While it's nowhere near as expensive as my crosshair, it's still a nice board the would still be in service was it not for it's lack of pci-e.

I bought it a year ago so it should be under warranty but i wonder how the store will feel about it being broken. Then again i've had many problems with it even during the fall so maybe it's been broken for some time. It's always iritaded me with the mobo rebooting every now and then for no apparent reason.

First i thought my old isp was behind it since it usually happened while i was playing aao but why would internet crashing take the entire computer with it even during an online game. Then in december fiber optic cables entered my home yet it continued crashing every now and then even if i was just browsing my computer.

Things that can't be the culprit: psu, harddrives, dvd burner. I name those because i use them still and have no issues other than some sound related stuff but that's another story and i've fixed it.

It should be noted that i had planned to sell the parts to my mom because her computer is slow, (a p2, enough said), but i don't want to sell a mobo that's broken. And i most certainly can't sell it to anyone else. So what do i do.

Oh and a small note. Is everything that's labeled as a videotape cleaner made of isopropyl alcohol. I need to now since i need to clean the cpu when it's of. I left it on the board till now figuring it was best so.

Thankful for answers. :smiles:

Comments

• EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2007
    to rma or not to rma that is the question i want answered. Why can't anyone give it to me.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Hey EyesOnly!

What I can tell of these A8V boards is that some come with three FET's there and some come with two.

Here is a link to another persons board with on two FET's there...
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42445&d=1137477870

Have you run memtest86+ on the board? Updated the Bios? Tried a different power supply? I've seen PSU's that work with some boards but are really flakey with other ones.

There is quite an AV8 forum going on the above site where the picture comes from... Lots of voltage modding going on which might suggest a stability issue with that board.

If you are unhappy with it then I would RMA it back to the company, mark the board with a marker somewhere inconspicuous so you can tell if you get the same one back.

Tell them it has stability issues with random lockups and reboots, that way the tech who has to check it will just replace it as it will be a headache to find a problem like that.

Nothing worse than a flakey board. :rant:
    edited March 2007
    So there could be different versions? Great like i needed more to think about. Let's see memtest, yes i did run memtest once, just to try the program. No problems was found., bios, yes i did that once.

I haven't tried a different psu. How about just asking for a refund. BTW how do i clean the cpu. Nevermind that, i'll search for it. I'll go to the shop later today, need to pick up some ink for my printer as well. Thanks for the advice.
    edited March 2007
    Ok i went to the store and they took it in as an rma. But they said that they would send it to someone, prolly asus, and then i would get a refund if it was broken. I thought the store could do that.

The really big question now is, what do i do with the cpu? A socket 939 cpu is kinda worthless without a mobo, and they aren't to easy to get hold of. Hopefully i can return that as well. I'll know more in a couple of days i hope.
    edited April 2007
    Ok i have an update now. Turns out the store can't test the mobo without all the parts like cpu and so which i don't have anymore therefor i got the card back. At least i didn't have to pay anything but still i don't know what to do other than to sell the card.

The one i talked to said that it could be any part like psu, cpu, ram that was causing my problems. I'm confused.

Add to that that when i left the driveway my car run a flat. :rant: Must contact someone to help me since i don't want to switch tyre myself. At least i could take the bike today. :rolleyes:

I'm actually considering switching to ubuntu. Wonder if this is the god of MS telling me not to. :sad2: :eek::mad: