Using a mic crashed my audio

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited April 2007 in Hardware
I plan on getting into music creation and today i went to pick up some stuff among them i microfon called superlux eco-88. I know it not the best of mics but i wanted something cheap. I thought my soundcard could handle this mic and for a while it could.

But all the sudden the sound stopped. Funny thing is that i can still record but not play back. I've removed the mic and even rebooted but everytime i play music i only hear silence. No it's not a loose wire. What do i do. Or should i say what did i do. Did i somehow fry the soundcard. My soundcard is a supreme fx on a crosshair mobo. Could i possibly repair the sound part without having to remove the entire board.

Now it really feels like i should have gone for a amplifier after all. :( Unfortunately i can't afford it right now.

Comments

• EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2007
    The funniest thing just happened. You know when you think all is lost you try at last one thing that could potentially solve your problem, so did i. After suffering my bad decision to connect a mic the soundcard couldn't handle i thought that it can't hurt to reinstall the drivers. Now i've got audio again. :)

Unless someone here can say for certain that i can safely use the mic i'm waiting till i can get a preamp. I really don't want to fry the card. :sad2:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    I'd agree with your inclination to be cautious, but I'm wondering if something changed your default audio output device. Lots of USB microphones and headphone/mic combos will mess with your settings when you install them.

I don't think the level from a microphone - unless it's got its own amplifier - is going to fry anything. It's your call, though. :)
    edited March 2007
    The more i thought about it the more it seemed more like i driver issue than hardware problem. Or it's like you say and the ports got mixed up.

Since i got this mick because it was cheap and didn't need an amp it wouldn't be right to get an amp since then i could connect all kinds of mics which would make the one i have rather useless. It is dynamic which means that it acts like a switch and doesn't require active power. As you said it doesn't feed anything and shouldn't fry a soundcard. I'll try again later.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    I have a USB camera and it took me a couple tries to get WinXP to agree that the microphone portion should be the default input device, but not the default output device.
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the hint. I haven't had the time to test it yet but at least i have some things to check should the same thing happen again.
    edited April 2007
    I have a theory as to what might have happened. I didn't want to leave the mick on when i put it down so i turned it off then on when i would use it. Could this have made windows think that the mick wasn't there and changed the i/o?