Anyone Own A PS3?

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited April 2007 in Folding@Home
We need a guinea pig to test the Folding prowess of a PS3. If you own one and would like to help us research its potential as a FAH rig, we would be very grateful. There are reports on the web that production might be as much as 30 times the capacity of the average computer, so this could be a really big deal.

I won't say too much just yet, (though it shouldn't be too awfully difficult to read between the lines and figure it out), but the SMx Committee is working on a little project right now. Some hard data would help us immensely. ;)

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Prof I will see if my roomate will let me use his system to test on for a day or 2 once the client rolls out... He moves out in Mid April so lets hope it comes before than... As you already know I sold my system to pay for Baby items :(
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2007
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    For anyone who stumbled across this thread because they saw PS3 in the title and wonder what Folding is, here's a nifty short video which you might find interesting. :)

Veteran Folders might enjoy the segment featuring Vijay Pande. :thumbsup:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    this will be sweet if the output is really that good. not to mention I'm 18 now:D So maybe the honor will be finally bestowed upon me to host an SmX.
    edited March 2007
    It looks as if Thursday is the day for the F@H Download option...

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/03/20/sony_ps3_update_firmware/
    edited March 2007
    this will be sweet if the output is really that good. not to mention I'm 18 now:D So maybe the honor will be finally bestowed upon me to host an SmX.
    Good luck ...although I think SMX hosts are limited by the age of the ppl they date. :nudge: Sorry I couldn't pass it up.
    Keep being persistent airborn your time is coming! :bigggrin:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Tell ya what, I can send Airborn SM11, and I'll take a PS3 :D

It's a fair trade! Did I mention it's water-cooled and glowy? Oh, but I used a vodka bottle as the reservoir. He's not old enough for that... ;)
    edited March 2007
    ...maybe the honor will be finally bestowed upon me to host an SmX.
    You are well on the way. :thumbsup:
    edited March 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Tell ya what, I can send Airborn SM11, and I'll take a PS3 :D

It's a fair trade! Did I mention it's water-cooled and glowy? Oh, but I used a vodka bottle as the reservoir. He's not old enough for that... ;)

Nah, I wouldn't want to take such a piece of folding heritage from you garg. :bigggrin:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I think speculation at this point, while healthy, might be a bit premature. The Committee's planning is still in preliminary stages. Testing will be the key to any possible success... so by all means, let's hear from a PS3 owner! ;)
    edited March 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    ...while healthy, might be a bit premature...
    That's what she said! :p
    ...The Committee's planning is still in preliminary stages. Testing will be the key to any possible success... so by all means, let's hear from a PS3 owner! ;)
    Yes, please. We need some hard facts to make this happen.
    We need some hard facts to make this happen.
    That's what she said! :p

(Thought I'd save you the trouble... :vimp: )
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    We are only asking for some help with testing... don't read into it too much.

As Prof and Ghoosdum indicated.... we're not ANYWHERE close to switching to PS3. We need weeks and weeks of testing and deliberating in order to see if it is worth changing SMx direction.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Oh yeah, we need an Ipod too. They fold really well, so it is said....

if you drive over them with an F250 Ford. :D

Seriously, we are seeking a PS3 owner to test out his machine. There should be no risk to the hardware.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited March 2007
    Better find a donor soon, acording to some at the FCF and [H] central it is working already, you need to download the latest firmware though and be sure to change teams as it defaults to PS3.
    edited March 2007
    I got the okay and will have the PS3 folding as soon as I get the firmware update :) I will name the system SM93PS3 so everyone can track its stats :) Once it is online I will make a post about it with images :) Along with that I plan to have her folding for 1 to 2 weeks straight with no gaming...
  • edited March 2007
    I'm running folding on my PS3 right now. I'm not sure if these stats are equal to the PC or not, but here they are:

0.0811 Seconds per frame
    About 9 hours to complete a 400000 frame work unit.
    I've had it running for about 30 minutes and completed about 25,000 frames.

My name is set to Annon, and team is 93, so you guys should be able to check my stats.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    edited March 2007
    Annon wrote:
    I'm running folding on my PS3 right now. I'm not sure if these stats are equal to the PC or not, but here they are:

0.0811 Seconds per frame
    About 9 hours to complete a 400000 frame work unit.
    I've had it running for about 30 minutes and completed about 25,000 frames.

My name is set to Annon, and team is 93, so you guys should be able to check my stats.

With those stats you should be able to do 2.5 work units a day. Lets just see what kind of points they are worth.:bigggrin:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    So does it make me more or less of a geek to want to buy a PS3 and not game on it?
    edited March 2007
    26 wu's for less than 1 point methinks the ps3 client may be buggy as hell:mad:
    edited March 2007
    I don't know how he got 26 wu's for no points, but it wasn't recently. Those wu's aren't shown in the last 7 months.
    edited March 2007
    Ah very old EUE's then so the PS3 ain't to blame good good.
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, they're from August of 2005.
    Donator Annon
    Team Team Short-Media (93)
    Score 0 (certificate)
    Donator Rank 613983 of 613983
    WU 26 (certificate)
    Date of last work unit 2005-08-21 18:20:02

Welcome (back?) to Team 93, Annon. :cheers:
    edited March 2007
    Well, if you are going for ppd, then the ps3 is looking good, but thats what we are aiming to find out. Is whats more economical. because if the thing costs $600 and does 1000 ppd, then I don't know of anything else that is going to come close for the money.
    edited March 2007
    if the thing costs $600 and does 1000 ppd, then I don't know of anything else that is going to come close for the money
    Nothing in Team 93's parts bin, that's for sure. But then, a barebones C2D system can do 1000PPD without too much difficulty on Windows SMP.
    edited March 2007
    Another question is what the points will stabilize out to. SMP points will probably change when it comes out of beta, and we don't know much about the PS3, yet.
    edited March 2007
    Good point. I would imagine SMP Windows won't be as lucrative once it's mainstream.
    edited March 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    So does it make me more or less of a geek to want to buy a PS3 and not game on it?

Sort of ...well, yeah. LOL :fold:
    A folder nontheless! :csimon:
  • edited March 2007
    Looks like I got 287 points for this WU.

With it taking 9 hours per WU, that comes out to about 765 points per day.
    edited March 2007
    Annon wrote:
    Looks like I got 287 points for this WU.

With it taking 9 hours per WU, that comes out to about 765 points per day.

Interesting. That's a little more ppd than I'm getting out of my Opteron on the SMP beta client (I'm getting roughly 700).

Thanks for the info, Annon!