Scaling of SMP folding client

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited April 2007 in Folding@Home
Has anyone tested to see how folding scales with increase in cores vs increased speed?
I assume that the folding speed will scale directly with CPU speed, but what about with the number of cores? With the old method it is linear, but does SMP change all of this? Does going from 2 cores to 4 more than double the folding speed? 8? 16?

I am thinking of getting rid of a number of boxes, and building a single workstation. If I could get more folding out put it might be worth it.

Comments

• EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2007
    One thing i know is that going smp will really boost your production. But that's now what you asked.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I assume that the folding speed will scale directly with CPU speed
    That assumption is correct. I don't know about number of cores above two.

Before you remove old computers from service, I would watch SMP for a month or more so. It remains to be seen what the point structure will be once it's no longer a beta. Mainstream processing usually ends up with mainstream points awards.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    What would be awesome if you could literally set up a fold farm, like people set up render farms.

Make on pc the router or the pieces and then all the other pc's work for that pc. Then if you had 8 quadcore machines you'd have 32 cores churning away at the same unit.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited April 2007
    Bit of an apples and oranges comparison here but my e6400 does 40 minute frametimes on the P2610 and 20 mins on the others, my pal TrickyD has the Q6600 ~ 8 mins frametimes on all the available SMP wu's
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    The current SMP client only runs four cores, so if you had more than that, you'd probably need to run more than one instance of the client. Not sure if it allows that, though.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited April 2007
    It does on a dual quad mac pro they advocate 2 instances of the mac SMP client