If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

WD Raptor X 150GB 10k RPM - What do you think?

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited May 2007 in Hardware
I'm finally considering a HD upgrade and finally switching over to SP2. Reformatting, starting all over from scratch on a clean system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136011

Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Do you guys have any experience with that drive? From what I can tell, it seems to have fantastic reviews. The price is good with that rebate, and all the specs seem to be just what I need. I'm upgrading from an old Maxtor 250gb ATA drive - very slow!

I also wanted to run my rig specs by you guys to make sure there wont be any other problems.
  • Thermaltake 480w PSU
  • DFI Lanparty UT NF3 Ultra-D (SATA Supported)
  • Maxtor 250gb ATA (Currently my Master, but will be used as Slave drive)
  • AMD A64 3200+
  • Corsair XMS Platinum PC3200 DDR 1GB
  • ATI x800pro 256mb Graphics

Let me know what you think... thanks :)

Comments

  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited Apr 2007
    I don't see any problem with the hardware configuration.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited Apr 2007
    Good news... I think I will sleep on it, and maybe buy it tomorrow :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited Apr 2007
    I will sleep on it, and maybe buy it tomorrow
    What, the store lets you take it home before you pay for it? :scratch:
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited Apr 2007
    I think I'll sleep on the PILLOW, and let the HD remain on the shelf at the Newegg warehouse ;)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited Apr 2007
    A dealer back home lets you take the car home before buying it.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited Apr 2007
    I've been told its a KILLER drive. I read some think it is a tad loud, but I can deal with that.

    I plan on buying it this afternoon :cool:
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... Member
    edited Apr 2007
    I've got 2 from MicroCenter. I'm satisfied, not as loud as I expected, and I'm picky about noise, more so certain types of noises. It's not as fast as I thought though, but the vista score shows 5.9 to me. I don't know how that compares to others though. Out of curiosity, how much did you/ are you spending?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited Apr 2007
    $215 after shipping, before the $30 MIR.... so about $185 after I get the MIR back. Pretty good deal I think!
  • HawkHawk Fl. Icrontian
    edited Apr 2007
    I've got 3-4 36GB 10k rpm Raptors in use for 2-3 yrs now.
    Never had any problems with them.
    They are as quiet as all my other different brand HD's.
    And I have a dozen or so drives, in 6 different boxes.
    And, yes they are faster than the standard 7200rpm HD's.
    I'm very happy with the Raptors performance and stability.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville Icrontian
    edited Apr 2007
    The seek times are worth it and they make killer drives for an OS to reside! I have one of the 36GB and 2 of the 72GB drives and have loved them. From everything I have heard the 150GB drives are even better and the latest revisions of the 72GB model are better than the previous ones. I say you are making a good choice!
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited Apr 2007
    Woot! Thanks for the comments guys :D
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... Member
    edited Apr 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    $215 after shipping, before the $30 MIR.... so about $185 after I get the MIR back. Pretty good deal I think!


    That's about what I had paid, and I thought it was good enough to get two. ...and I'm poor :(
  • RMFRMF
    edited May 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    I'm finally considering a HD upgrade and finally switching over to SP2. Reformatting, starting all over from scratch on a clean system.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136011

    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

    Do you guys have any experience with that drive? From what I can tell, it seems to have fantastic reviews. The price is good with that rebate, and all the specs seem to be just what I need. I'm upgrading from an old Maxtor 250gb ATA drive - very slow!

    I also wanted to run my rig specs by you guys to make sure there wont be any other problems.
    • Thermaltake 480w PSU
    • DFI Lanparty UT NF3 Ultra-D (SATA Supported)
    • Maxtor 250gb ATA (Currently my Master, but will be used as Slave drive)
    • AMD A64 3200+
    • Corsair XMS Platinum PC3200 DDR 1GB
    • ATI x800pro 256mb Graphics
    Let me know what you think... thanks :)
    I have the drive that you are looking at. Just out of interest though, why are you getting the model with the window? I accidentally ordered the drive instead of the standard version that is in a normal HDD casing and was in such a rush to build my new PC I decided against sending it back to swap it for the correct drive. I wish I had now because the thing is sooo loud when it's seeking it's almost unbelievable. And unbearable.

    It's a lightning fast drive though, so no problems there but I'd recommend against getting the X version.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2007
    Yeah I've been reading of some complaints about it being too loud, but most are saying the pros (performance & speed) overpower the con (noise). I don't think it should be too bad... I'll probably get used to it.
  • RMFRMF
    edited May 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    Yeah I've been reading of some complaints about it being too loud, but most are saying the pros (performance & speed) overpower the con (noise). I don't think it should be too bad... I'll probably get used to it.
    Just get the non window version and you won't have to get used to it ;)
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2007
    The Raptor X will be delivered today, so thats not an option ;)
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2007
    Trying to load XP on it now from my Slipstreamed CD, but I'm running into problems.... I'll post the messages if they come up again.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2007
    !!!WARNING!!!

    Disk Boot sector is to be modified
    Type "Y" to accept, any key to abort
    - Phoenix Technologies, Ltd.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2007
    ^^After that scary message came up 3 or 4 times, I finally just hit Y and it went to XP setup.. so here we go!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2007
    Disable boot sector virus protection to disable that annoying message.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2007
    It's working great now, and I totally disagree about the noise... it doesn't seem loud at ALL to me :o
Sign In or Register to comment.

The 5¢ Tour