External harddrive will not work through Firewire/IEE 1394

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hi there

I have an external harddrive enclosure containing a 200 GB Maxtor drive.

But I simply cannot get it to work using Firewire aka IEEE 1394.
When I hook it up absolutely nothing happens. No beeps, no sounds, no popups. Just nothing.

What can be wrong?
I have tried using 5-6 different FW cables and I have tested it on two machines. I have even tried using an identical harddrive enclosure but that didn't make any difference.

How can I get it to work?
My Firewire cannot be broken on to seperate machines?

Unfortunately I do not have any other devices that use firewire.
This means that I can only test using the harddrive enclosure.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Is your external drive USB 2.0 also? When did you purchase the enclosure. Some older enclosures hit a limit after a while. I've got a Metal Gear Box enclosure - Firewire and USB 2.0. Although it is excellent quality and a superb passive drive cooler, I've had to put it in the parts bin. It just will not recognize some hard drives over a 160GB capacity. At 160GB and below, it works perfectly. It could be enclosure has the same problem as mine, which is an internal chip that limits detection to a certain library (older) drives.

Is the 200GB drive in question a new acquisition? Does your enclosure still work with older drives?
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited May 2007
    It is indeed USB 2.0 as well.

I got it last christmas that means that it is 5-6 months old.

The drive is a reasonably new Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB ATA 133.

I must admit, that I have not tested the enclosure with another drive.
    But do note that everything works fine using USB 2.0

I have also tried using an enclosure borrowed from my dad, it is identical but contains another disc. Cannot remember the size though?
    But it behaved in a smilar fashion, everything worked fine when using USB, and nothing when using FireWire. Very odd ;)