Console doesn't open!

edited May 2007 in Folding@Home
Hey guys,
I got stuff squared away so I remembered to start folding again. I downloaded the program, and entered all my info. Then I restarted my computer and when it started up, the folding console did not open. I clicked on the application to open it manually, but there was no luck there. I tried to re-download it, but the same thing happened. What should I do?

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited May 2007
    Well, you mentioned restarting, so I'm assuming you set it to install a service in the configuration. Is that right? If so, then there shouldn't be a console that opens when you start the pc. Instead, it will run in the background. Open the task manager and see for yourself if it's running. There should be a process that takes nearly 100% of your CPU labelled FahCore_xx.exe. If it's there then there's no problem.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    If you didnt set it to start as a service it wont start automatically. You must do it manually or put a shortcut to the exe in the Startup folder.
    edited May 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    If you didnt set it to start as a service it wont start automatically. You must do it manually or put a shortcut to the exe in the Startup folder.

That's a great way to have it start with windows and it will open the console window as well. :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2007
    I don't see it listed. I did what you said the first time I downloaded it, and it was listed but it did not take up any and of the unused memory, the system idle process was still 99%. Now I just don't see it at all. I am pretty sure I clicked for it to open automatically on starting though.
    Just a side note...all the files it put on my desktop after installation, I created a folder called "folding" and moved them all unchanged into that folder on the desktop so as to organize it a tad better. Would that have any adverse affects?
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, that's probably your problem. Put the exe back on the desktop and configure it again but just make sure that it stops trying to start up as a service. I think your problem is that F@H installed a service that referred to it's location on the desktop but you moved it, that's why it's not working.

Anyway, after you configure it to get rid of the service move the exe to somewhere out of the way (I use C:\F@H for mine) and then run it from there and configure like you normally would. You can go ahead and delete the "work" folder and client.cfg and other files if they're there.
  • edited May 2007
    I moved it to the desktop and it didnt open...should I restart?
    edited May 2007
    Hmm... It should be fine, just move FAH504-Console.exe to wherever you like (as I said earlier, I use C:\F@H) and run it from there and configure it how you like.

If you want the (now inactive) service gone then I'll probably need more details to help you get rid of it, though it shouldn't be any problem. At the very least you can just disable it.
  • edited May 2007
    TheGr81 wrote:
    Hmm... It should be fine, just move FAH504-Console.exe to wherever you like (as I said earlier, I use C:\F@H) and run it from there and configure it how you like.

If you want the (now inactive) service gone then I'll probably need more details to help you get rid of it, though it shouldn't be any problem. At the very least you can just disable it.

How do I configure it if it doesn't open?
  • edited May 2007
    Ok...so this is interesting. I deleted it and re-installed it. Upon restarting I saw a little white X pop up in a red circle thingy on my task bar and it said my computer has encountered a problem or something like that. Then it disappeared before I could click it. Is my security systems on the computer blocking this from running possibly? I'd like to start folding again, but I need some help.