Possible Issue with ATI Crossfire certified DDR2 ?

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Okay - I wrote you guys about an issue with the timings before and you answered right away and didn't try to bull me so I'll let you look at this issue. Nice of me, huh??? :)

You know my RAM is fresh and young. I have had a strange issue with it since DAY 1.

Sometimes when I power up the system it immediately powers back down. It may happen once or 3 or 4 times. Then when it comes up I get the CMOS/problem screen that Intel likes to throw up on a moments notice. I also get freezing in the CMOS settings screens. Random places, nothing will change, cursor won't move, but ctrl-alt-del still works.

Now here's the kicker. This only happens when my RAM timings are set to 4-4-4-15. Neither of these issues happen with it at SPD defaults (5-5-5-15@1.84Vdc). I have been playing with this since day one. I have tried voltages from 1.84 to 2.1 and it still does it. I have tried 3 PSU.(Antec 550W True Control, Ultra II 650W, and the one in there now is the Thermaltake 750W. None of them make a difference. I have changed the MB bios at least 5 times (Intel updates a lot). It always is the same. Now when the system does finally come up everything id rock solid. It will run Memtest, 3Dmarks, Prime95, all day long without errors. I even ran 2 Primes and 3DMark06 at the same time. It never hiccuped.

I went and borrowed some no name RAM from my buddy's computer store and it ran a week without a hitch (a long time for no incident).

At first I thought it was maybe a power good signal timing issue. Hence the supply changes. Then I thought well maybe the MB wasn't raising the RAM voltage until after post, but the other RAM runs at higher voltage and it works fine. I also have had a single 7900GT Ultra in the MB and now has dual X1950 Pro's in X-Fire. Didn't change a thing.

Everything points to a memory compatability issue, It just doesn't really make sense to me though. You guys got any ideas? I mean it runs fine at defaults and I really think it is faster there anyway since PAT works when it is in auto. I used to be a Test Engineer on nuclear missiles and I like everything to be explained to the smallest detail. Old habits are hard to break i guess.

Anything else I can try? I would love to try a different pair and have been looking at buying another 2 GB anyway. I would just hate to end up with 2 GB more if it really is a compatability problem.

BTW the MB is a D975XBX2.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Hi there Missileman :)

Apart from the standard 4 timings, what more timings can you change in the bios?

Try for kicks, 5-5-5-11 and 4-4-4-11 and 2.0 volts and see if it makes any difference at all.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

I only have the standard 4 timings and voltage for options in the bios.

It booted at [EMAIL="4-4-4-11@2.0"]4-4-4-11 @ 2.0[/EMAIL]Vdc , but it was a warm boot. Will try a cold boot a few times in a few minutes.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Hi there m8,

It should work just fine at the spec timings and voltage for that board. I can't see any reason why not. We should replace that kit for you. Send me an email with this thread linked. My email is in the signature below.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Well I just wanted to tell you I received the replacement RAM on Monday. I put it in with the other set I bought so I would have some good RAM while the previous set was out for RMA. The new set and the replacement set are both running fine at advertised specs and neither batch does the CMOS reset problem either so it surely was the previous set. It's kinda nice that Intel can run 4 sticks at full speed and in dual channel mode. Was so used to AMD downclocking I almost forgot I could do it and almost sold the other set I bought LOL.

I also switched to Vista Ultimate 64 version last week. It runs very snappy on 4GB of RAM :)

I was kinda upset that the RMA sat on the receiving dock for 3 days before being logged in and another 3 days waiting for replacements to ship, but I guess a 10 day turnaround ain't that bad. We all get spoiled to Fed EX and NewEgg :)

Just wanted to thank you for the no argument RMA and to tell you that it was the culprit.

Thanks again.