Serial ATA - Now that it's launched, opinions?

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Wow, not often one gets to be first post on an icrontic forum :)

Now, let's talk drives!

<HR>

So, now that serial ATA is a few months out of the gate, does anybody have any opinions about it? I've set up a SATA RAID 0 and I must say I'm impressed. It was with WD Raptor 10K drives, so that helped, but right out of the box with no tweaks, at 64K/16K it got a 78,000 in atto. I'm sure I could squeeze more out of it given time, but it's not on any of my computers :)

Comments

• trippintrippin Chatt, TN
    edited June 2003
    I'd really love to get my hands on some SATA goodness, but have yet to had a chance at doing so. Those are some nice scores for just two drives! How much do those run for nowadays?
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited June 2003
    I'd rather go SCSI than pay a premium for the "NEW" sata stuff. There are too many deals on the last generation SCSI stuff (U160) that'll still put a whoopin' on sata! Just my opinion.

Flint:cool:
  • trippintrippin Chatt, TN
    edited June 2003
    Yes, im looking @ getting the hypermicro deal where i can get a 15k 18gb scsi drive and a controller for $118, that sounds like a good deal to me!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have not tried the speeds or drives themselves to be honest, but the cable alone is enough to make me choose SATA as my next drive, no more pain in the ass wide grey cable or thick yellow pipe stuff getting in the way of.... well, pretty much everything. Plus the actual connections look like a good idea, no more broken pins.

NS
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I agree with you guys, SCSI is at a nice price/performance point right now, but it's still cool to play with something new, and the cabling just rules.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I'll wait for SATA once more hard drives come out for it and my existing hard drives fail.
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by trippin
    Yes, im looking @ getting the hypermicro deal where i can get a 15k 18gb scsi drive and a controller for $118, that sounds like a good deal to me!

I have no firsthand experience with this deal (althought been thinking about it for a long time :D ) but you might be able to get the same controller card and a better U160 drive off of Ebay for cheaper, of course on ebay YMMV.

Paul
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    I'm running two SATA WD Raptors In a RAID 0. Never have run anything faster. It goes though two RAID controller checks before it boots and my system is still faster than a 2xWD1200JB RAID 0. I'm loving it.

Enisada
  • jdccbjdccb Mid-Atlantic USA
    edited June 2003
    Well, all the reviews look extremely impressive to say the least, and I've never messed with any SCSI or RAID myself, and I won't be getting a chance to play with SATA until it comes down in price, becomes more widely available, or my current drives fail when either of the prior two conditions have been met. But for now, while the cabling is as attractive as it is (and oh is it ever), you can get WD Special Editions and Maxtor Ultra's and so on and so forth at some incredible prices right now.
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Flintstone
    I'd rather go SCSI than pay a premium for the "NEW" sata stuff. There are too many deals on the last generation SCSI stuff (U160) that'll still put a whoopin' on sata! Just my opinion.

Flint:cool:

I've noticed a large difference between my WD 800JB (running through PATA to SATA) vs my Maxtor atlas 10KIII. I'm still trying to dig up the numbers. The STR is close, but the maxtor kills the WD in seek time.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Time to start scouring EBay for U160 stuff then (though I highly doubt there will be any good deals as EBay sucks in the UK).

NS
  • KeelhaulKeelhaul Göttingen, Germany
    edited June 2003
    Has anyone tried the Maxtor DM9+ SATA hdds (the ones with M0 at the end)?