Useing a fastrack raid card.

KometeKomete Member
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Hey there, Good to see Icrontic up and running again:).

Back to the topic of my post. I'm getting a raid0 pci card on monday and I was wondering what size strip/ cluster size I should use. I was thinking 32k stripe 16k cluster which would make it 32k/32k right?

I mostly play games and web surf so those are my priorities :)

Let me know what ya think, Komemte

Comments

• trippintrippin Chatt, TN
    edited June 2003
    16k stripe / 16k cluster is what tex recommends. Stripe and cluster need to be same size.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2003
    OK this is what IM going to do and tell me if i'm doing anything wrong.

I'm going to load winxp on a 10 gig spare harddrive I have. IM going to create a 16k stripe on my 2 20 gig harddrives in raid0. Go into xp and format them in 16k cluster. restart and install xp on the 2 raid 0 harddrives.

Is that the way to go?
    and do I need to format the drives b4 I stripe them as I am useing them now.

Thanx Komete
  • R4CK3RR4CK3R Oklahoma
    edited June 2003
    "I'm going to load winxp on a 10 gig spare harddrive I have. IM going to create a 16k stripe on my 2 20 gig harddrives in raid0. Go into xp and format them in 16k cluster. restart and install xp on the 2 raid 0 harddrives."

The way I set up the RAID with my HighPoint onboard controllor is after my comp POST's, the RAID controllor scans the disks and then gives me the option of pressing Ctrl+H to set up the RAID before it boots anything. Also it doesn't matter if the drives are formatted, or partitioned. When it creates the RAID it will destroy any settings or files on the disk.

I'm sure what ever controllor U use it will be somthing like this.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    I'll second 16k/16k
    Its a good starting point, and will usually give good overall perfomance untweaked. BUT, you can always spend the time and squeeze that last ouch of juice out.

In general, smaller file arrays (OS, normal files, normal use) will benifiet from smaller stripe/cluser (16/16 and under) Where larger multimedia files could see a increase in larger pairings. Overall, 16K is a safe place ;)