LCD Monitors

edited June 2003 in Hardware
I am not sure what is considered good/bad and how they affect the monitor. Here is an example from a Sony LCD monitor

Brightness/Luminance: 250 cd/m2 (nits)
Contrast Ratio: 300:1

Thanks

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Its bascially how bright it is, but the best thing to do is go to somewhere that displays LCDs and find out the Brightness/Luminance/Brightness/Luminance of those so then you can compare them, always better to actually see what something is actually going to look like.

NS
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited June 2003
    PC World just did an article about how inacurate those specs are on LCDs, so as NightShade said, your better off actually looking at the monitor.
  • DexterHolland911DexterHolland911 Hong Kong
    edited June 2003
    cd/m2 is candellas per meter squared, a measure of luminosity. That is bound to be a maximum figure... the brightness of the screen is adjustable, is it not? Find a monitor with a color tone that suits you, and the only way to do that is to look.
  • edited June 2003
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Also, most currently producted LCD's are very good. Looking at it is always nice, but odds are you wont find too many visual differences when all of them are running at there optimal resolutions. In general, all of them will be very bright when compaired to a CRT.

I just use the cheapest I can find, and my clients love them so far.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Apart from dead pixels, I hate dead pixels, and companies dont care unless you have like 6 or 8 even if they are luminous green in the center of the screen or something, then you will hate the monitor and there is nothing you can do >(

NS