R9700 problems.

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Why is it that I always have to RMA to newegg in order to get something that works? happened with my last vid card too

I get this card on friday, it's the atlantis saphire non-pro, came in a plain white box. it did not come with the power cable though. Now the metal thing that screws on to the case, what do you call that anyhow, it was bent on the bottom, i'd say about 20 degrees, so right away i'm like uh-oh. I plug it in, turn the computer on and she don't post right, it takes like 5 seconds, and then one long beep. if i reset it, it boots and windows loads, however, it crashes and the screen is all jacked-up and only a reset gets me back. I did get it to make it through a 3dmark2k1 run and it scored 8851, wtf? also, I installed rage3d tweak and it says the card is clocked at 325/310 which is pro speed, but this card isn't supposed to be a pro. I'm guessing some dude flashed his bios and screwed it up and RMA'd it and i ended up with it.

So before I RMA it, I just have question, although i'm prettty sure I already know the answer. The power cable, I mean power is power right, but is that power cable required? I have it running off an extra floppy power connector, it's the same thing no?

Lastly, newegg will credit me $198 if I want instead, so am I better off with a 9600 pro instead of a 9700 non-pro?

Comments

• edited June 2003
    Well i think you might of got a bum deal there mate, but newegg (dont quote me on this) uses U.P.S. for shipping and they are seriously nasty to there parcels. (Got lots of storys :( )

Did you get retail version or OEM version. I don't know if Sapphire do OEM products but you'r retail box should look like this 18-9700box.gif without the "Pro" or maybe its a differnt box alltogether but it should definatly have some sort of graphic on it

Regarding Power, taken off the sapphire website

"ADDITIONAL POWER CONNECTION REQUIREMENTS

The Radeon 9700Pro must be connected to the computer? power supply to meet its performance and high-speed memory requirements.
    In order to supply the ATI Graphics Accelerator card with the necessary power, we have included the Power Extension Cable.
    Use the Power Extension Cable to connect the Radeon 9700Pro to the computer? hard Drive power connector.

1. Remove the power cable from the hard drive.
    2. Connect the 4-pin connector of the Power Extension Cable to the Radeon 9700Pro power connector.
    3. Connect the Power Extension Cable to the power supply connector.
    4. Connect the Power Extension Cable to the Hard Drive connector"

I think you should just get another 9700 because you can OC them to pro levels with decent cooling and i think its well worth the money and sapphire is a good company for radeon products
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    thanks, after posting at hardocp, I've decide to RMA it. Probably won't have until like next tuesday or wednesday, maybe friday if they overnight it to me. We'll see.... :mad:
  • edited June 2003
    Heh lets just hope you get a better one next time :D
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by ^Ben
    Well i think you might of got a bum deal there mate, but newegg (dont quote me on this) uses U.P.S. for shipping and they are seriously nasty to there parcels. (Got lots of storys :( )
    Newegg uses Fedex. But I have wondered about the power thing too, is the power comming for a normal 4 pin molex connecor the same as the power that comes from a floppy power connector?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    it is, it's the same connector. funny thing is in my wife's computer it booted up, but I didn't have time to test it out extensively. i sent it back today, maybe i get lucky and get the replacement this week.
  • Jolyon33Jolyon33 Kalamazoo, MI
    edited June 2003
    Plain white box, no power connector. Sounds like you got something off the refurb pile. RMA it.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Jolyon33
    Plain white box, no power connector. Sounds like you got something off the refurb pile. RMA it.
    My thoughts exactly
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    From all this hassle people seem to have to go through, is it really worth ordering from NewEgg?

NS
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by M33PiNS
    I had to RMA my 9700 twice with newegg, this third card is great though--- I think I broke the first one too :D

* M33PiNS has 9700 shim keychain

Don't get the 9600 :| As far as I know the 9500pro was better then the 9600 --- Where's Quack, he'd know<3

9600 is like .13 micro whatever where as the 9500 is .15. But ya the 9500 pro has the bandwith of a 9700 so its definetly faster.
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by DoM-aL

9600 is like .13 micro whatever where as the 9500 is 15. But ya the 9500 pro has the bandwith of a 9700 so its definetly faster.
    ya the 9600 is slower then the 9500. the 9600 has the mhz and the 9500 and the bandwith. now that the 9500 is faster than the 9600 why dose the 9600 cost more?
  • SlackerSlacker CA, USA
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    From all this hassle people seem to have to go through, is it really worth ordering from NewEgg?

NS

Newegg is a decent company with usually very competitive prices.. Their RMA is a little slow, but I've never had any problems with their service personally (and I've bought and RMA lots of stuff with them).
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Suppose its the problem with having lots of customers, lots of customers = more problems.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by M33PiNS

Don't get the 9600 :| As far as I know the 9500pro was better then the 9600
    the 9500 is better than the 9600.
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    Go with the 9700 non-pro it will be faster than the 9600Pro.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    9600Pro is out there to replace the 9500 series which is being phased out. Problem is, the 9600 is a gimped card. Faster ram timings and .13 micron, but only 4 pipelines instead of 8. It overclocks pretty well (according to an extensive firingsquad article), but still rarely reaches performance levels justifying its price. Also, the 9700 line (except the All-in-Wonder) is being phased out to push the 9800 as well - try buying a 9500 or 9700 (not AIW) series card from ATI's site - you can't do it.

The 9800 is better than the 9700 no doubt, but the 9600 is pathetic compared to the 9500 :(
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    The 9600Pro is only a bit slower than the 9500Pro in some things when they are both overclocked to the max. Sure the 9600Pro is running alot faster but it is cheaper than the 9500Pro is and it can get a taste of the 9700Pro at that speed. So it is not as pathetic as you may think.