Distributed network monitoring

RobRob Detroit, MI
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Any one found a good network monitor?? checkservice doesn't scale very well I've found. Currently hacking at nagios
but its quite indepth.
Anyone have a really nice solution?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I know you have probably already tried this, but have a play with the built in performance monitor if you are using Windows, as it can do quite a lot of things, also if you open up Services (JUST services) from Admin tools it lets you connect remotely to another machine to see all the services and you can alter it just like your own machine.

NS
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Well, right now I'm watching around 70 linux machines. We do have windows monitoring servers, but they lack key features and flexability.

The load sensitive machines like game servers I use a couple scripts and MRTG to record and graph the load averages.

The part I'm missing is service checks (i.e. ftp, ssh, ping, http, smtp) monitoring with paging. Also, I run a schedule, and need to rotate the on call techs, and also different clients per machine. Some larger managed clients require notifications.

What i have now works, sometimes, for a small number of machines... But if I throw a few hundred servers, with 4 or 5 services monitored, it brings the machine down.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Wow, i expected _some_ responces. IMHO, if you have 2 or more systems online 24/7, they need monitored alerts.

What do all you folders and general junkies do?? Wait for a machine to crash and hope you notice?
    edited June 2003
    I have my MP3's on mine (as well as the site etc) so if either of those are not working I quickly hit the Reset button, not the best way of doing it, but when I monitor CPU usage, network and RAM I just use the Windows performance thingy.

I would like to change to Linux, but as I really dont know how to set up a web server in Liniux I am worried about too much downtime =/

NS
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    I would like to change to Linux, but as I really dont know how to set up a web server in Liniux I am worried about too much downtime =/

Can ya throw together even a shitbox to toy with?? Me, takes me about 10-15 minutes to have a linux webserver online, from installation to running machine. It really is that easy, just need to know what to do.

What about a temp host?? Know anyone that could host for you durring your downtime?? If your serious about doing a specific server task like webhosting, its probably the easiest introduction to linux you can find.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Geee... Rob Uhhhh... maybe you should write us a guide on how to whoop up a linux webserver the "Rob" way ! (grin)

Tex
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Well, there are so many variables you can't really write one catch all guide.

for example, In some instances, you have to recompile different packages, and compiling and building binary distributions is not 'light' reading that most people would want. I just happen to have most them them on-hand already ;)

Basic servers run great out of the box, but the configurations you can do are endless.

Being proficient with it means you can do as needed, quickly. But to cover and document _everything_ you need to know would be ... alot...
    edited June 2003
    The server machine is the only spare machine I have, cant throw anything else together.......

Plus I have no idea how to install apache/php/mysql on Linux or how to set up shared folders.

NS
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Well, its not wise to force someone into a linux solution, usually they just get frustrated and stop.

When the times right, I think you know what to do ;)
    edited June 2003
    Well Windows keeps locking up randomly (well I think its that, I cant do anything other than Ping the server) so that edges me to change, but I have things like Kerio Mail server running etc, which I wouldnt be able to run, and I would have to try and set up Linux alternatives.....

NS
  • edited June 2003
    MMMM linux :D
    edited June 2003
    yeah..... anyway.......

Im going to Install 2003 Server, see if that makes any difference, if not, well....... who knows.......

Rob I may need your help.

NS
  • RobRob
    runs away..

aahhh the nubs are comming the nubs are comming. :)
    Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    runs away..

aahhh the nubs are comming the nubs are comming. :)