Looking for speakers

Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
edited June 2003 in Hardware
i'm cheap as hell when it comes to speakers because sound isn't much of an issue to me. Went to a LAN this weekend, played some flash flash revolution with my headphones on, so i got used to it. Came home, played with my speakers and OMG IT SOUNDS SO MUCH LIKE SHIT!!! I never knew how bad my speakers were until i used something different.

So...basically all i'm looking for is:
good speakers, preferably less than $70.
I know about Logitech speakers, I wanna hear about some OTHER brand ...if there is any for that price.

Comments

• jdccbjdccb Mid-Atlantic USA
    edited June 2003
    What sort of set-up you looking for, two speakers + sub, surround? I've got both a two and surround Cambridge Soundworks (aren't they just straight up Sound Blaster now?) at home and I really enjoy the way they sound, and neither was mind-bogglingly expensive.
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited June 2003
    doesn't really matter to me. I'm not a big fan of subs, but it seems most speakers come with that nowadays anyways.

I like my 2 speaker setup, but I could do with more than that.
  • ness_25ness_25 Boone, NC
    edited June 2003
    I would recommend a system with a sub. I have a Boston Acoustics setup with a sub, and I could never go back.
  • edited June 2003
    Altec Lansing - 2100. They were around $50.00 on computer geeks when I got them. They sound great, and come with a good sub. Right now I have them for music on my Mac, but they'd be good for anything.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Best bang for buck I've found was with the Logitech's in general. I've seen some decent sounding setups, my brothers was 5.1 and i think I payed (present) 99 bucks for em.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I use the VideoLogic Digitheatre DTS. Amazing sound with DD and DTS encoder built in, 220w RMS (30w Per Sat, 70w Sub). Great sound, only problem is it doesnt have the 4-6 analog inputs on the back to allow you to connect up a soundcards outputs for full multichannel gaming on games. But it would work with the nForce because it encodes it to DD so then it would decode it.

I cant believe you cant buy Klipsh in the UK, its not fair.

NS
  • aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
    edited June 2003
    heh, sucks for you man. I got the klipsch 5.1 with the decoder, and I have to say it is the sweetest sounding system that I have ever heard.

aW
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    Man I gots me a Klipsch 4.1. I want me some Klipsch 5.1 action...

Enisada
  • AsmoAsmo Kitchener, ON
    edited June 2003
    You might enjoy some of the flat panel speakers by monsoon, they are well priced, like the planar 14s I think, your best bet would be to go to a store and listen to a few and see what you like.

I owned klipsch 4.1s for 2 years, great lil speakers, but MUCH better to be had out there. This year I upgraded my overall sound system with some sennhesier HD590 headphones, a nice 2 channel paradigm setup (cost me about $2k), but as far as multimedia speakers go, klipsch make the best, to go a notch up from klipsch speakers for your computer, say getting some lil monitor speakers your looking at $600-1000 to start. Worth it though :) I could never go back to listening to music through cheap multimedia speakers.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Though, unless you REALLY want speakers, why not look into the Senheisser range of headphones, confortable, better sound and you can have them as loud as you like, just a though.

NS
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited June 2003
    I should have said that too...I don't like having the speakers loud.
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited June 2003
    well like my brother said, he got me those z-640's .. They are down to 90 bucks, and i put a pick onto my site, if you want to see them. they are nice, like rob said, they are 5.1 , but whats nice if you dont have a 5.1 card, there is a "matrix" button, and all the needed cords to have simulated 5.1 .. sounds great, and if u wnat them low vol. they sound realy nice.. and if you want to get loud, they do, untill about little after 3/4 full ,then you get some distortion.

in the end jsut get it.. and if u have read this typo filled jiberish for a link, hehe sorry, it is here
  • AsmoAsmo Kitchener, ON
    edited June 2003
    Again, it sounds like you really enjoy DETAIL in your music, I think you will be hard pressed to find better sounding speakers than the monsoon speakers, they provide very detailed music to a small field (designed for someone sitting at a computer) they don't have boomy exagerated bass, and are in your price range.... ps logitech are crap.