Handheld Storage: Compact Flash or Secure Digital?

NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I am looking into getting a handheld and have a question about external storage. The model I am looking at is the Dell Axim X5. It has two types of external storage that I can choose from. The first is Secure Digital storage. From the size of the port this seems to be the normal type of storage that you use in digital cameras and MP3 players. It is pretty small and compact. The other type of storage is a Compact Flash Memory card. This is a little bit larger than the Secure Digital sticks and goes into the flash slot of the handheld. The question I have is which is better? Is one type better than the other or does it really make a difference? My dad says that they use the Compact Flash cards at work since most newer lap tops have ports for them and they have desktop adapters too. That would be nice but the only downside I see is that I'd have to remove the stick from my Flash port if I wanted to use something such as a wireless network adaptor. If I had information on my Flash stick that I needed while browsing the internet via the wireless adaptor I could not have them both at the same time. If I went with the Secure Digital it would fit into its own port and would not get in the way of any other peripherals. The Secure Digital sticks are also half the size physically as the Compact Flash cards. Anyhoo if someone could bounce some ideas and opinions off of me that'd be great.

Norge

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    Go for Secure Digital. Slightly cheaper than CF, and you can lock the SD card to prevent ovewriting
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Also SD is smaller and everthing proof as its like a credit card thing so its almost impossible to damage it. Personally I prefer SD.

Oh, damn I thought SD was like Smart Media, but it isnt. In that case I would go with Compact Flash as more things support it.

NS
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited June 2003
    I have heard that SD was more fragile than CF, but at this time I couldn't sight a source under penalty of death! But, all my digital cameras, Nikon and Canon, use CF sothat would be the deciding factor for me.

Good Luck,
    Flint
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Hey thanks a lot to everyone with the suggestions, ideas, and information. After considering everything I think I am going to go with the Secure Digital memory. It is smaller and would leave my Flash port open for other uses. Right now that seems to be my best bet. I can always get a Compact Flash card later if it needs be.

Norge
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Norge - i love the avatar.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Yeah ain't he great? It is Vivi from Final Fantasy IX. Feel free to mooch it if you havn't already. I mooched it off another website and have used it ever since. Heck I even have the little dude on ever page of my site.

Norge