using mIRC

McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
ok...not quite sure if this belongs here....but how would one use mIRC from start to finish to get files from news groups. I am a complete IRC gomer...I know a little bit, but not enough.. How would I access a channel like zero day and obtain files from said newsgroup. I need complete and utter details.....start to finish.

If someone could direct me to a site that explains it really well, please give me the linky, or just give me a good explanation it would be much appreciated.

If this is too 'naughty' for the forums....drop me a pm for some info please

Comments

• edited June 2003
    mIRC does not read newsgroups. mIRC is an internet relay chat program used to log into chat servers..

www.mirc.com

Tek
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    For reading newsgroups you need a program such as X-News - http://xnews.newsguy.com/

And you also need a news server, the address would have been given to you by your ISP, if not then you need to pay for one.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by McBain
    If this is too 'naughty' for the forums....drop me a pm for some info please
    ???? .......... Legit software question........ soooo I moved it to software.
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Cool Canuck

???? .......... Legit software question........ soooo I moved it to software.

He was probably refering to
    How would I access a channel like zero day and obtain files from said newsgroup.

Zero Day = Warez

NS
  • edited June 2003
    yes that is what he is reffering too
  • edited June 2003
    Zero Day = Warez

NS
    Shows where I'm at. Did not know that. Yep, that be naughty and those specifics shall not be discussed on this forum. Having said that, instructions on using chat or news readers is perfectly ok and encouraged. Have at it.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited June 2003
    pardon my ignorance....but how do you download ANYTHING using mIRC I guess that would be more of an appopriate question.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    its actually relatively complicated. first of all, you need to find something to download. if this something is from a person, then they need to send it to you through DCC. if it is from an automated fileserver, then you need to know the correct commands. it is all command prompt, so certain commands like "ls", "cd <folder>", and such apply. they should have a series of commands at the top. now once you have found the file you want, you type "get <filename>", and it should send it to you. that is just the beginning. unfortunately, there are certain settings within mirc that must be set correctly. just open up the options tab and browse through everything in DCC. for instance, you want to auto-get and auto-resume files. you also want to turn off the ignore feature. i dont have a copy of mirc installed here at werk, so i cant be more specific. anyway, hope that helps . . .
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    a few more things i forgot to mention that makes it more difficult. if you are on dalnet, i think they have all sorts of restrictions and commands for downloading files. i havent been on since its downfall, so EFnet is prolly your best choice of server. also if you are looking for a particular sort of "themed" room, try searching on google for the various rooms that are dedicated to the "themes" you are looking for. and thats all i got for now . . .
  • edited June 2003
    when i get a chance i will post a tut if i can find it. its easy as hell
    edited June 2003
    For the old-school IRC'ers

!LIST!!!
    WHARE IS TEH DOOMTREE?!!?

:p
    If you dont get it, dont ask.

Other than what Drowd mentioned, to download files off other people they need to send them to you, i.e if I wanted to send a file to you.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    To download from fserves:
    http://www.ddrmaniax.net/index.php?goto=fservs

To download from XDCC bots:

First Way

Q: How do I download from an XDCC?

A: (+bot) ** 1 pack ** 2 of 2 slots open, Record: 914.9KB/s
    (+bot) ** Bandwidth Usage ** Current: 0.0KB/s, Record: 436.2KB/s
    (+bot) ** To request a file type: "/msg bot xdcc send #x" **
    (+bot) #1 48x [315M] FilenameGoesHERE
    (+bot) ** •••Brought To You By oWn3d's IRC FAQ ;••• **
    (+bot) Total Offered: 314.7 MB Total Transferred: 20.52 GB

Here is a basic description of each part of this message:
    1 Pack = Bot is offering one pack (downloadable file)
    2 of 2 slots open = There are 2 download slots open out of 2 total.
    Record: 914.9KB/s = The record speed of the bot (in kB/s)
    #1 48x = Packet #1 has been downloaded 48 times.
    [315M] = Filesize for packet #1 is 315MB.
    FilenameGoesHERE = Name of file
    Brought to you by... = Basic 'courtesy of' line.
    Total Offered: 314.7MB = Total size of all packets.
    Total Transferred: 20.52GB = How much has been transfered.

Now let's say that you want to download "FilenamegoesHERE". Pretty much, all you have to do is look at the "to request a file type:" line. All you have to do with this bot is type in the following line:
    /msg bot xdcc send #1

The bot will reply with a message like this, and your file will send:
    -bot- *** Sending You Pack #1 Which Is 314MB. (Resume Supported)

Be sure to accept the download and you should be good to go. Enjoy!

Second Way

Q: How can I download from XDCC bots easily? (#4869)

A: Use an addon, called XDCCV. This add on will listen in on a channel, and gather all the xdcc triggers and file listings. It sorts by user name, and a search tool is also available.
    To install the script, download and type
    /load -rs xdccv.mrc
    to load the script. Simply right click in the channel, and at the bottom is the XDCCV menu. Once the main screen is up, just double click on a bot's file, it will msg it to send the pack #.
    Enjoy
    Download: http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/169649;6c4c04a5853d4ebe3c108f0eae768479/xdccv0722.zip

and thats all ya gots to do
    edited June 2003
    I'll work on that tonight, thanks guys.
  • edited June 2003
    np
    edited June 2003
    So when I type the trigger and the fserve adds me to the queue.....it doesn't d/l. I only tried it twice....but I left it open, and I have it on auto-recieve files....I left mIRC open all night and nothing. Another thing.....some of the server triggers are long as heck....is there another way of clicking or copy/pasting the triggers into the window? I am sloppy typer and they only give you 30 seconds.:D
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    In mIRC, you cant highlight in other programs, because it disapears. However when it disapears after hilighting, its automatically copied to the clipboard, so just hilight, and paste the trigger into the box at the bottom.