Memory compatability ??

BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I'm running a Epox 8K7A+ (not sure exactly now) with 128mb Corsair XMS memory. It's not overclocked and arent a hard gammer. I want to add at least 256mb more of ram for my Win2K system. Problem is, with all I want to do and limited funds XMS over 128mb is out. Since I dont "tweak" all I can out of my system, can I install a quality PC2700 stick and still get some benifits from it???????

Comments

• karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited June 2003
    Yea, that will be fine, as long as you don't plan on overclocking (like you said). You may want to look at Crucial or Kingston, they tend to make good quality RAM for good prices.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Should be OK.

What speed is the Corsair?

mD
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited June 2003
    Spped. Not sure, long time since installed, just set at basic speed I guess
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Ye, itll be fine.

The only RAM problems ive ever had is with el cheapo 512+mb modules when installing more than one module.

mD
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I take it you are intending on installing that 2700 on its own then as I wouldnt recommend using your existing 2100 with it, but on the other hand, you dont know if it is 2100 or 2700....... or even 1600...... youll need to find out the speed of that RAM, as if it is 2100 you are best off selling it, if its 2700 then you can just use it with your new RAM.

NS
  • EMNEMN
    edited June 2003
    Mixing ram is generally not a good idea, especially different speed ram. But the fact is, it WILL work. But you might have a real hard time troubleshooting the pc if problems arise, since ram tends to be a hard to troubleshoot issues, and if you have mixed speeds and brands then it's even harder.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by EvilMathNinja
    But you might have a real hard time troubleshooting the pc if problems arise

Na you wouldnt, you'd just pull out the old stick and sell it, there you go, problem solved.

NS
  • DexterHolland911DexterHolland911 Hong Kong
    edited June 2003
    Bruce Y - What's your budget like?
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited June 2003
    LOL Budget like fitting square peg into a round hole. PC not exactly at very top of list of things to do, although wish it was. Trying to buy / install parralel port card, front mounted panel,memory,and joy stick for around $100. I know....tight funds. Will post memory settings in a few mins........
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited June 2003
    Looks like PC 2400, here are listed specs from when I bought it
    Corsair:CM64SD128-2400,C2,128MB,PC2400,DDR,184-PIN,CAS2,XMS2400,16MX8,DDR-DIMM,UNBUFFERED
    I was hoping it was at least pc2700, but I suppose I cannnot mix pc2400 with pc2700?
  • EMNEMN
    edited June 2003
    You can, but the 2700 will have to run @ 2400 speeds, unless the 2400 can overclock to 2700 speeds. So it would be overkill and unecessary,
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited June 2003
    Saw a Kingston 256mb DDR 333mhz PC2700 NON-ECC CL2.5 for $35 (accupc.com). Will it work with my Corsair XMS at CAS2. Corsair XMS same speed is $48
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    If its only a little bit more expensive, get the Corsair. Matching memory is better at the end of the day.

mD
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited June 2003
    Thanks dude will do