If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Hi's and low's in life

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited Mar 2008 in The Pub
Doubt much will even respond but I guess I'm bored and curious about people's lives. So what's your hi's and low's in your life? Best and worse or most memorable or wished you'd forgoten. Day your child was born, family relative passed away, broke some world record nobody's heard of, got in a accident...? Don't really have to say your worse. Anyone that says anything less about your low's then they really "suck at life ;[" and I guess you can add them to your sh*tlist ;) Please no jokes unless it's about the high part :)

For me:

Hi: I guess it's the only thing that really comes to mind or my life just sucks that much but I guess it would be when I went to orlando with the school band (and most of my friends from school) to play in the puertorican parade and disney aniversary. All 6 days were a blast. Rode on everything, had fun at Hooters a few nights :rarr: and had some of the best food in a long time.

Low: Well I guess I'm gonna reserve that till this threads flows a bit more...

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Nov 2003
    High:

The completion of my opticool + dry ice overclocking experience. Seeing it spread throughout the school like wildfire, people asking me about it that I didn't even know, getting mentioned on the school news, winning an award and acclaim from businesses for it, and having it spread to atLEAST 30 websites. It felt good, real good. And I'm going to get to do it again, fixing all the bugs that were wrong with the first go.

Low:

I'll really have to think about this one.
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan
    edited Nov 2003
    HI: I guess a hi for me right now would be that I have my new car and college is paid for this year, plus i still have a little money left over in the bank. :D

LOW: The ever so confusing and frustrating aftermath of breaking up with my girlfriend 3 months ago. Till this moment I am still trying to understand some things.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri
    edited Nov 2003
    High's: Having sex for the first time (not by myself ;) ); Graduating from High School, Getting Married, Having a son, buying my first NEW car; Donating a kidney to my wife.

Low's: One of my brother's died in 1985; another of my brothers died in 1995; my wife had to have a kidney transplant; my father-in-law died 3 weeks ago.

The list can go on and on in both categories, but those are the main ones.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited Nov 2003
    Can't say there's really anything exciting that's happened to me. Never been really down nor had anything wonderful happen. Still debating whether that's a good or bad thing.

Hi: First car.

Lo: Hard drive failed with a good bit of stuff on it I wanted to keep (No, not 'bible music' :) Cool pics/songs/programs).
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited Nov 2003
    High: There are three that immediately stand out.

The first was being featured on the front page of almost every main tech-site for the coverage of the suspect Catalyst 3.8 problems, garnering the attention of both ATI & NVidia engineers and nearly 50,000 individual views from people around the world.

The second was getting to aide in a high-speed pursuit with the Toronto Police Service in 2001. Working as an apprentace with Toronto's Traffic-1 police detachment, I had asked my shadow (Police Constable who I was working with) if I could take one of the police interceptor vehicles out when our next shift was scheduled. He didn't see a problem with it, as I did have my license and he would be in the car supervising with me. Well, the next day, I'm out in a brand new Police-Interceptor enhanced stealth 2001 Black Ford Crown Victoria Interceptor, very capable of a top speed of 225 KMH with the 4.7L DOHC SFI engine. We're driving along at a steady pace on the north-bound 400 through the north-western region of Toronto (and the traffic around me is moving at EXACTLY the same pace as what I'm moving at, 115 KMH). I'm driving along when all of a sudden my shadow and I see this red Porsche 911 Turbo go flying by on the inside lane. We radio in and get another unit stationed up along side the road to clock the prick (use radar), and we pegged him at 185 KMH. We get the call across from dispatch to persue and I stamp the thing to the floor, pushing myself into the back of the seat. You ever watch COPS when they utilize the interceptor? I'm flying up the northbound 400, doing 205 KMH with the lights flashing, the sirens wailing, dodging cars left, right and centre to catch up to this poor bastard in the Porsche 911 Turbo. The pure adrenaline rush was incredible. A few KM's up the road, backup units had closed the highway and deployed spike-strips in an attempt to get the guy to slow down. He hits them at 160 KMH and has a 4-wheel blowout, but manages to keep on driving! We're still following in pursuit, but slowly slowing down to a pace more managable due to the Porsche not having any tires to drive on. After driving a few KM's and watching the Porsche's tire's completely wear-off (he's driving on rims now), he dumps the car in the east ditch. We pull over and watch as the other backup units that had deployed the spike strips arrive, jump out and arrest the prick. What did he get for his troubles? His license revoked, car impounded and a nice $5,000 fine. I loved every minute of this 20 minute ordeal. :)

Finally, the third happened this past summer during the great "NorthEastern Blackout of 2003," where I was working for Ontario's electricity transmission & distribution company: Hydro One. During the first night, Hydro One crews had to replace a large number of blown & damaged transformers at key strategic sites around Southern Ontario. There was only one way to deliver enough transformers to these locations in a quick and timely manner, some of which were as large as 30'x20'x15' and worth over $1.5 Million CDN: by our own Sikorsky CH54 SkyCrane Helicopters. Getting to aide in the flight of one of these beasts was one of the highlights of my summer.

Lows: The tragic loss of 6 of my 9 cousins in a horrific vehicle accident on Highway 17 in the summer of 2000, the murder of my aunt out in Calgary, AB in the spring of 2000, the death of another aunt from her 13-year fight with cancer in the spring of 2000 and the death of my grandfather in the winter of 2000.

//Edit: Fixed spelling & grammatical mistakes. ;)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited Nov 2003
    Well I guess it's time for my low... If you guys think i'm a psycho or something I really don't give a sh!t.

Been admitded twice to a psychiatric hostpical for suicidal tendencies and stuff (Don't have the balls to actually do it. Damn morals :sawed: ), tried over 8 meds to no avail, basically dropped out of school cause of social anxiety, been at home ever since and can't function outside of my home without meds. Weeeeeeeeeee!!! :bawling: Other than that, grandparents death, mom's cancer and sh!t that's happened to me as a kid that would take me a few hrs just to post :shakehead
  • BriltBrilt brooklyn
    edited Nov 2003
    Highs:
    -A lot of good stuff
    -great family, great friends
    -surviving some near death experiences.
    -having a really bad memory (I tend to block out the bad stuff) :)
    -Being loved
    -having my faith
    -Saving peoples lives.... sometimes it only takes a smile.
    -and the largest high point -> that the highs outweigh the lows

Lows:
    -being the only one of my kind in the world...or at least feeling that way sometimes.
    -Having a secret that only 4 people know, that I can never tell, wanting to tell everyone but I would only be thought of as crazy...this is my gift this is my curse (stolen from spidey but so fitting)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2003
    Highest point in my life: Having my two sons. Every day, no matter how bad, no matter how low, is made into a joyous moment when I look at either of them.

Other highlights:

Marrying the woman of my dreams.

Being the owner of my own business, able to create my own future and my own destiny, answerable to nobody but myself, and having the courage to ride it out.

Realizing that my skill with computers is actually something that people have need for.

Searching my whole thinking life for religious beliefs that I could actually believe in, and finally finding it after it came to me in a dream.

Lows:
    The death of my first child before it had a chance to live.

Coming to the realization that my mother is an alcoholic, and the instant recognition that she always has been.

The moment I realized my first business had failed.
  • TheSmJTheSmJ Farmington Hills (Metro Detroit)
    edited Nov 2003
    Highs: Being in the city's news paper (front page, plus large ass photo of yours truly) for doing nothing but taking a test on A+ Cert material and getting the second highest score in Oakland County, and later (after taking the state level exam in Detroit, while staying 3 nights for free at the Detroit Renaissance Center) having the 6th highest score in the state of Michigan (out of the 100+ that took the test). I could have scored higher, if I wasn't so damn tethered to the idea of checking over my test 3 times. Having people I don’t know ask me about it, getting all these pictures taken, school recognition, people PAYING me mucho denero to fix their computers cause of the said article in the paper, etc, etc, etc.

This all happened in April. The reason I never mentioned it to you guys I spose was because I was never one to “blow my own horn”. Hey, I should scan in that article... eh?

Having a fast, stable computer. Having my own car.

Lows: Right now, I'm unsure how my college grades are gona look, I wish the school gave out progress reports... My neighbor dieing from cancer. Not getting any. Front driver’s side car door being stuck shut cause my mom backed into it with the minivan. Having a job I dislike.

That’s all I can think of for the moment.
  • BDRBDR
    edited Nov 2003
    Highs- having a son and seeing how well he turned out.

Lows- when my Dad died.

Somewhere in the middle- (it has it's highs and lows) being married to right man for 25 years.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited Nov 2003
    Dunno about either.... I guess I look forward to seeing how the future comes out. Other than that, I keep myself too busy to dwell on things that don't need to be dwelled on ;)

Repression is key my friends! LOL, j\k. I have nothing to complain about, especially when I think of how I would be in another Country like Iraq, or even Canada :usflag:

:ninja:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited Nov 2003
    Hi: Making it to Nationals in Business Professionals of America in a Network Design Team and got to go to Dallas for a week. Got 8th in the Nation. Being with my GF for almost 2 years.

Low: Realizing she can have better.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina
    edited Nov 2003
    HI: Making National competition in DECA last year with a free trip to Orlando. The best time that I can remember of my life is about 3 years ago when I started dating the best girl I have ever laid eyes on and been with and one night we finally kissed, I will remember it forever.

Lows: The girl I was talking about above broke up with me *big time depression* we are talking though now over the phone but I don't know if we will ever get back together *sigh* I mean she is so awesome, and I heard that she wants to get back together with me and she acts like it, but if I find out soon that she is dating someone else I don't know if I can handle another depression state like I was in before.
  • edited Nov 2003
    My personal highs, lemme see...going 160MPH (257KMH for the rest of the world) in my old Pontiac...getting married to my wife...getting $13,125 in an insurance settlement...my dad surviving 2 heart attacks...my mom surviving cancer.

Lows, Losing my big brother when I was 18...losing my best friends dad to emphysema 3 years ago...my dad having 2 heart attacks...my mom having cancer...dealing with my wife's bi-polar disorder...injuring my back to lead to getting the insurance settlement...losing my job to someone else's pettiness.
  • QCHQCH Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2003
    Hi's --> Well, I guess the hi's in my life would be getting a full time job working for the government (almost 8 yrs ago); getting chosen as one of the top vocalists and participating in a Junior college Honor Chorus; Graduating with a Bachelors Degree in Comp Sci (w/ honors) while working full time; Finding out that I'm going to be a dad (May 04). #1 "Hi" Getting married to my wonderful wife (April 98).

Low's --> Getting engaged to a slut (not my wife and I didn't know she was a slut, again, not my wife); all my grandparents dying over the years; two bouts of kidney stones (!!!OUCH!!!); and the number one "low"... Coming home from crappy job to find my mom lying on the floor dead and trying to save her.... that is as low as I have gone (Nov. 1995).... I miss her very much.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Watching the mere mortals in chaos from high atop Mt. Olympus Icrontian
    edited Nov 2003
    Blackhawk,

You not only listed your low but you subconsiously listed your high. Your high is also your true sied and is often pushed aside by the darker things in your life.

You said:
    Been admitded twice to a psychiatric hostpical for suicidal tendencies and stuff (Don't have the balls to actually do it. Damn morals ),
    The fact that you have not done it is very good and should also prove to you that you you really do have morals as well as a regard for life in general and beleive in something greater than yourself! Take heart and try to concentrate on the good things in your life as there are more of them than you realize on the surface. I have seen these kind of threads be fore and they are really a cry for help because someone feels very bad rather than the disguise you put on it when you posted it. You could not beleive how many times I felt like posting somthing like this my self in the past four months. When I have, I just stop and take inventory of everything in my life and realize that there is more good than you think and the reasons you may want to do something to yourself are not a real reason for it. In addition I beleive that you beleive like me that suicide is murder. Murdering yourself as opposed to someone else is not any different. It is still the taking of a life. God sees something in you that you are still here and I think you need to think about that! I considered it but quickly realized that it would actually be an injustice to those I love.

I want to write more and will later but need to be headed to jury duty (YUK!). Contact me if you want and we can talk. Just PM me and I will give you my phone number. ;)

Larry
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited Nov 2003
    Hi's: Growing from an abused, confused, repressed child and finding confidence to be who I wanted to be regardless of how some would try to tear me down. My friends who are scattered around the globe, they are all awesome in their own right. Being able to trust people again. Learning to play musical instruments & the ability to be creative in so many different areas. Being able to use my few talents to make people smile...

and the clincher: Finding my life soulmate over a game of Unreal Tournament :)

Low's: My fathers cancer. My mum who is currently slowly dying while waiting for the heart & lung transplant donor for her, that may not come in time. Watching both my siblings each go through a broken marriage. The 300 miles that keep my soulmate and I apart so often until we can live together. The pain in her heart & her tears. Knowing that I will be unemployed in the next 8 weeks from the job I love because of someone elses pure greed.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX
    edited Nov 2003
    Highs:

1. Being Baptized.
    2. Getting my first truck.
    3. Getting my second truck.
    4. More of a high for my family than for me: Making the National Dean's List.

Lows:
    1. My Uncle's passing.
    2. My Aunt's passing.
    edited Nov 2003
    Blackhawk:

Fantastic idea for a thread. Out of the thousands of threads on a site, it's the little gems like these that serve to create a better sense of community and that turn acquaintances into friends. This is your gift to us. Thank you.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited Nov 2003
    Highs:
    Finding a great job doing something that I enjoy. :)
    Being together with the same girl for almost 8 years, and being more in love now than ever before!
    Absolute #1 is getting married to the girl of my dreams a month ago! :D

Lows:
    Parents getting divorced.
    Finding out my sister was dating a 26 year old when she was 16. Let's just say that didn't last too long. ;)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited Nov 2003
    Off the top of my head:

Highs:
    Having a car that I love

Lows:
    Nothing comes to mind ATM...
  • TheSmJTheSmJ Farmington Hills (Metro Detroit)
    edited Nov 2003
    mmonnin had this to say
    Hi: Making it to Nationals in Business Professionals of America in a Network Design Team and got to go to Dallas for a week. Got 8th in the Nation. Being with my GF for almost 2 years.

Low: Realizing she can have better.

Ha, the tests I took were for BPA as well. It's too bad I never made it to nationals though, or else we could have met up somewhere.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Watching the mere mortals in chaos from high atop Mt. Olympus Icrontian
    edited Nov 2003
    Hi's
    Finding the woman I love and knowing she loves me as much as I do her!
    Having a lot of great memories of those I love that are no longer with me. (All of them)
    Having been able to do a lot of things others dream about.

Low's
    Loosing people I love. (All of them)
    Finding out that I was no longer going to have my military career that I enjoyed due to injuries sustained.
  • edited Nov 2003
    High:
    when I got a call from a coach telling me that I could play college football and seeing how proud my dad was

Low:
    breaking up with my girlfriend a few months ago because she cheated on me
    edited Nov 2003
    Swettacular had this to say
    High:
    when I got a call from a coach telling me that I could play college football and seeing how proud my dad was

Low:
    That just meant she wasn't good enough for you and you are now available for the right one. (Damn, I think I just gave a girl answer!):wtf:
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Nov 2003
    mtgoat had this to say
    High:

Low:
    That just meant she wasn't good enough for you and you are now available for the right one. (Damn, I think I just gave a girl answer!):wtf:

Sissy!
  • edited Nov 2003
    mtgoat had this to say
    High:

Low:

hey, thats exactly what I said too!
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan
    edited Nov 2003
    primesuspect had this to say
    Blackhawk:

Fantastic idea for a thread. Out of the thousands of threads on a site, it's the little gems like these that serve to create a better sense of community and that turn acquaintances into friends. This is your gift to us. Thank you.

I may not have been here as long as some, nor as active as some, but I really get the sense of friendship here, despite most of us only know one another through these forums.

I have always got the feeling that most people at these forums do care about other people here and everyone is treated not like another user name, but as real person.

Prime, I must say those are strong words, and becuase of that and many other reasons(to many to count), I must say I am proud I can be a part of short-media.

Alright, time for a group hug! :p
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited Nov 2003
    4. I still live with my parents, because I'm too practical to spend the $$$ to move out.

That's not bad. That's smart. You get to save upwards of $800 each month by not having an apartment. Plus, you're going to school, which is understandable. The ones laughing at people that they live at home are crying inside when their $8/hr job can't pay the bills, not to mention having no free time working and going to school.

You want to do well for yourself early off? There is a trick, and it involves patience, persistence, and a bit of math. If you can snag an $10/hr job at 20 or so, and stay home for two years, that's nearly $35k in a bank account that you can put toward any major purchase you want. Hell, you can drive off the lot with a brand new car that is NICE AS HELL with $30k, and still have $5k left over, and it's paid. You own it, and that's a damn good feeling. Now you have a car that is paid off, you still have a job, and hopefully you're planning to start school if you haven't already. If you started around 18 or 19, you're either graduating or damn close to it. And say you don't want the $30k car. You buy a used Accord or something for $6k. Now you've got $29k to support you until you find a job that pays around $35k/year, at least. You can live a good 3 years off of $29k here, provided you don't blow your money often and you have at least some furnishings for a place to live.

So yeah, you might lose a few dates when they learn you're living at home, but they must have some very closed minds if they dump someone like that. Personally, I think 24 is just fine for someone living at home. That's my limit that I've set for myself.
    edited Nov 2003
    Thats why you move into an apartment with several other guys. Our total now after all the damn service fees is $700/month split 4 days. With a job that pays $9.75 at Fed Ex I can pay rent, for food, and pay off some of college as well. Find some guys to get an apartment with.
    edited Nov 2003
    Isn't that essentially the same as living with your parents, except it costs a bit more? Pretend your parents are those "guys".... ;D
    edited Nov 2003
    It's real funny how things change. When I was a teen I ran away twice, now I would almost give anything to live with my mom and dad. :\
    edited Nov 2003
    Now I can do anything I want. Stay up as late as I want and no one will care. There is no one to watch over me anymore. FREEDOM. Plus the feeling that you are on your own and doing ok. Getting out in the world, get some credit for yourself. Got to do it sometime.
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited Nov 2003
    MMONNIN, that sounds alot like the guys on MTVs "True Life:Im a Gamer". The guys call themselves the "Order of Light", if I recall correctly. And a few of them have jobs at either Fed-Ex or UPS. If you guys never saw that episode, its a bunch of guys who live together and play video games non-stop. They got 2 big screens and 2 other tvs in the living room. If they are not working, they are playing video games.........Damn that sounds good :)
    edited Nov 2003
    I should be a millionaire then cause we could all be on that show. We do have school before work tho. The other three roommates are the gamers tho. They play or watch TV in the freetime that we have.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina
    edited Nov 2003
    fudgam had this to say
    MMONNIN, that sounds alot like the guys on MTVs "True Life:Im a Gamer". The guys call themselves the "Order of Light", if I recall correctly. And a few of them have jobs at either Fed-Ex or UPS. If you guys never saw that episode, its a bunch of guys who live together and play video games non-stop. They got 2 big screens and 2 other tvs in the living room. If they are not working, they are playing video games.........Damn that sounds good :)

haha, I remember seeing that, it was funny because that one guy came home to play games for lunch and was late going back to work, haha. I Would like to hear that excuse to the boss.

I think it would get kind of boring to be those guys, I mean they only had that one chick friend, I mean come on you got to get out sometimes.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited Nov 2003
    Highs: Good grades, awesome car, awesome parents, awesome friends

Lows: Parents suck most the time ;) , school is..shool
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri
    edited Mar 2008
    I wonder how many highs/lows have changed since 2003.

Mine are still the same except for two additions to the HIGH category.

1) Seeing my son graduate from West Point
    2) Seeing my son get married

Plus we have many new forum members now who probably never saw this thread.
    edited Mar 2008
    epic wow. The high answers are the same for me
    but the lows are significantly different now.
    edited Mar 2008
    Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!
    edited Mar 2008
    I have been read my rights.......and plead the 5th! ;)