Question...

Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Is there anyway to open or close a port?

like a way to manually bipass the router?

Comments

• edited July 2003
    What router model???

Essentially, lots of Ciscos let you use Access Control Lists. Some smaller routers let you open a port just to all comers, and if this is the case you can then use things like a Sygate Pro firewall to only have the port open to your computer when the app you tell it to let use that port is open.

If you are talking about making an ISP's router behave the way you want, either you ask the ISP to tell you how much it would cost to do what you want-- in detail-- or you get along without or you risk majorly good chances of getting caught and crack the thing and reprogram it.

The last, if I hear about it, you *will* get caught eventually if not sooner(I am not a legal officer, but know quite a few-- half my customers are ex-cops or cops or people whose best friends are cops at various levels of law enforcement, and my male parent (aka Dad) worked in law for over forty years with about 1\3 of that as a federal attorney). This is not a threat, this is a promise.

If it is just your local setup and is something legal, say onward and tell more details about what you want to do adn what equipment and software you want to use. If not, find someone else's website for this discussion, please(this one is not mine, but many here will not talk about illegal things here in detail or teach howto for illegal things here).

John Danielson.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited July 2003
    no, it's nothing illegal at all, two of my brothers are cops

and the router is a Linksys NR041

I'm doing this because a friend of mine wants it to work for hosting a game, without disconnecting his other computer frm the internet

and it's pretty obvious I don't know anything about this kinda stuff, as I don't use a router anymore
  • edited July 2003
    Ok, the CD that came with the Linksys has a manual in PDF form on it. It probably also has a web interface. Tne page of that web interface should be a port options page or half page. The manual or a copy of it from Linksys's website will tell you what the default IP of the Router is, and with that and either the default password or your friends own password if he reset the admin password (and I woudl day do change this, but alsowrite down settings, then if forget reset it with the reset button perthe manual and reprogram from what you printed from the browser you interfaced with it from or the written down settigns).

I have not worked with that model router, but almost all babies have reference manuals or html help on the driver CD that comes with router.That manual is tytpically quite long, the last time I looked at one of those PDFs it was well over 100+ pages of details.

If you do not have the CD, let us know and a link can be found for you at need. I typically use:

MODEL#+Manual
    on Google.

so
    NR041+Manual
    should give you a Linksys or maybe a Cisco link now for the manual or page with a link to download-- expect a PDF result, it will if on web be an Acrobat Reader file. As you get deeper in, or friend does, let us know in more detail exactly what is not working and I or someone will come up with more detailed answers.

John Danielson.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Ageek
    What router model???

Essentially, lots of Ciscos let you use Access Control Lists. Some smaller routers let you open a port just to all comers, and if this is the case you can then use things like a Sygate Pro firewall to only have the port open to your computer when the app you tell it to let use that port is open.

If you are talking about making an ISP's router behave the way you want, either you ask the ISP to tell you how much it would cost to do what you want-- in detail-- or you get along without or you risk majorly good chances of getting caught and crack the thing and reprogram it.

The last, if I hear about it, you *will* get caught eventually if not sooner(I am not a legal officer, but know quite a few-- half my customers are ex-cops or cops or people whose best friends are cops at various levels of law enforcement, and my male parent (aka Dad) worked in law for over forty years with about 1\3 of that as a federal attorney). This is not a threat, this is a promise.

If it is just your local setup and is something legal, say onward and tell more details about what you want to do adn what equipment and software you want to use. If not, find someone else's website for this discussion, please(this one is not mine, but many here will not talk about illegal things here in detail or teach howto for illegal things here).

John Danielson.

I wasnt intending on posting here agin, but after reading your post I have to.

You are WAY out of line to accuse people of illegal activities, especially as 60% of your post was basically threatening another member.

I sure as hell dont like being accused/threatened and I'm sure as hell no-one else does either, so I reccomend you keep your conspiracy theories to yourself before you go threatening other members, especially in a thread regarding such standard activities.

NightShade737
  • edited July 2003
    Go to the web administration section with your browser its under advanced then forwarding. It will let you open and close ports from there.
  • edited July 2003
    Anything prefaced with if, in America, is not a threat-- it is a condition preface. NO threatr was made or implied and you accusing me of making such is offensive to me-- suggesst you stop offending me based on your def of what is threat.

I said -- IF, A, Then do not ask here (IE, we are law abiding folk here, at least I am).

IF NOT A, happy to answer.

Capishe extreme simplicity???

GET OFF MY CASE With your overreaction.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    [Image removed]

Try keeping it on topic then and not writing un-needed 8 paragraph answers to everything then.

Regardless of how you try to defend it, your post was threatening and uncalled for, and dont give that "well I said if" crap as you continued your insinuations in your last paragraph.

NS
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited July 2003
    lol

teh fennehz!1
  • edited July 2003
    Enough already
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Ok guys you don't need to get along, just tollerate each other is all I ask. You don't agree with someone then be mature about it and take it to pm. You think someone is out of line, talk to an admin or mod.
This discussion has been closed.