Which Mushkin RAM To Buy?

KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
edited July 2003 in Hardware
Well it's been a while. I really like the new site. I'm nowhere near up-to-date on hardware anymore, especially RAM. So anyway... I need another stick of 256mb to go with the rig I built last summer. Specs:

Athlon XP 1600+ (still locked because I'm lazy)
ABit KR7-A
Mushkin PC3200

That PC3200 was bought this time last summer, so I'm assuming it's not the same as the PC3200 at NewEgg, right? What's this Perf. Level II stuff? I don't need the latest and the greatest. I would be content with another stick just like the one I have, but I want to make sure I get the right one. I run fsb@166mhz, with max ram settings, so I would like something that's certain to handle that.

God I feel like such a newbie asking all these questions, but these days I just don't have time to keep up with all this technology. Any help is appreciated. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. Also, if there's some good stick of Crucial or whatever that you think would run fine in my system and meet my needs, feel free to point me in that direction.

Kyle

Comments

• edited July 2003
    Well, since you have the first stick, it might be worthwhile to look on that stick and match part numbers to the stick label. If no label, you maybe can use the module number if a friend has a stick and see if his\hers has a label. Other than that or finding receipt, no guaranteed good ideas here.

Third choice would be a guess-- try the NewEgg Mushkin or see if a Monarch Computer Mushkin would work. Both places have toll free sales numbers, and tech support should be able to tell you what specs what they have in stock adheres to (CAS, that kind of detailed spec). Monarch is good enough that they might just have a Mushkin contact they can ask in a relatively short time frame.

If you can post the module data from module itself, maybe someone here could help better than I. I use Crucial or Corsair myself.

John Danielson.
  • edited July 2003
    hey ageek, how do you like the crucial compared to the corsair? i'll prbaly be buying some new ram soom and was wondering which you found to be better for the price
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Crucial memory ships their modules with poor timings (3/4/4 on their PC3200 memory). That's EXTREMELY slow for the uninclined. And beyond the rating they're specified, they usually do quite poorly.

Corsair on the other hand ships their PC3200 modules with 2/3/3 timings, and have zero problems running at 2/2/2 at a 200MHz FSB. Furthermore, 98% of the people out there get about 215MHz FSB at 2/2/2 on stock voltages, and some close to 220 with 2.8v.

Relax memory timings to 2/3/3, or 2.5/3/3, and pc3200 sticks of corsair explode into the 240 range easily.

Crucial can't even <i>touch</i> corsair speed and quality.