Raid

edited June 2003 in Hardware
hey i was wondering if anyone could tell me what they know about RAID, cause im not all that sure about it, and the new motherboard im getting has 2 IDE RAID channels

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=195 Should answer ALOT of your questions ;)

Definitely post in that forum when you get the board. We will ready and waiting for you :cool:
  • edited June 2003
    thanks ill try that
  • edited June 2003
    another thing, do i just plug the harddrive right into the IDE RAID channel?
    edited June 2003
    Hello again :)

RAID requires 2 of more drives. Your best plan is to consider what you want to do with it. Are you after security incase of a hard drive failure or would you prefer to use the RAID for some extra I/O performance?

RAID 0 - Two identical drives performing as just one

RAID 1 - Two identical drives with one invisibly mirroring the data on the other, in the event of a failure.

Which of those sounds best to you??

You would plug each drive into a channel of its own and use the BIOS for the controller to determine the build :) If you wish to use an already installed OS, you would need to install the drivers for it and possibly repair the installation. Its recommended to do a clean installation (as drivers need to loaded during the installation for the contoller).

Think about those and then post back :) We can get ya a perfectly tuned setup.. which ever you prefer ;)
  • edited June 2003
    The mobo that i ordered, should be hear on thursday:) , comes with 2 ata 133 ide connectors, would those work for my dual 40 gb 7200 rpm ata 100 harddrives?
    edited June 2003
    Yep :D

That will work great. Just put one drive on each channel, build the array in the BIOS, hit F6 during windows install to install the drivers.. and you are setup to go.

Then comes the tweaking.... ;)
  • edited June 2003
    cool, thanks, i cant wait for all my parts to come in
  • edited June 2003
    so do i install windows on both the drives, or just one?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    In RAID, both drives become one. So, you install windows on the single raided drive.
  • edited June 2003
    k, thanks
  • edited June 2003
    i do have another question though, my boards made by DFI and supports RAID 1.5, is that any good? its supposed to be the same as raid 0+1 except it only uses 2 drives
  • edited June 2003
    1 more question also, my mobo says itll support ram thats unbuffered, does that mean itll only take unbuffered ram or can i get something different and still have it work?
    edited June 2003
    Disvengeance said
    i do have another question though, my boards made by DFI and supports RAID 1.5, is that any good? its supposed to be the same as raid 0+1 except it only uses 2 drives

Not quite sure what you mean there chap. Drop us a link of which board you have on order.. and we can give you a definite answer :)
    Disvengeance said
    1 more question also, my mobo says itll support ram thats unbuffered, does that mean itll only take unbuffered ram or can i get something different and still have it work?

Unbuffered is "standard" DDR. The board could probably take "registered" DDR but that's a pointless exercise unless you are using a dual processor board.

Just get some decent quality ram by a good trusted supplier (Eg.. Corsair, TwinMOS or someone similar)
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    Would two different speed drives work? For example one 7200RPM harddrive and one 5400RPM harddrive.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Slick, do you mean two different speed drives in an array? From what I'v head I think both drives have to be identical for the array. I guess it would be like sticking pc133 ram into a motherboard that only supports up to pc100, the pc133 would run at pc100 speeds.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Slick said
    Would two different speed drives work? For example one 7200RPM harddrive and one 5400RPM harddrive.

for best performance using raid0 u would want to use two identical drives. using a 5400 and 7200 would give u a performance increase from a single drive setup but u would not get the full potential from say two 7200 drives.

fc