S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Oblivion Lost Preview

edited September 2003 in Gaming
Available right now at Icronticgames.com

Comments

• d-rkerd-rker UK
    edited September 2003
    another fine looking title .
    the day&night cycle and the food/sleep/strength/radioactivitie are innovative features on a FPS .games are evolving to something more complex than the standard shoot & run - which is good .
    where do we get time to play all these games coming out ? ;)
  • verselloversello New
    edited September 2003
    Damn nice gfx, but my gawd, there are quite a few spelling and grammatical errors in the article.
  • edited September 2003
    point them out - I am all ears :)
  • verselloversello New
    edited September 2003
    meh!, interrupting me while i'm watching my anime :D

- artefacts = artifacts
    - driveable = drivable
    - "8 unique endings, total open endedness..." = that bit is a little confusing... open endedness?

Do you mean open-ended? as in, spacious landscapes? if so, the word "end" would be a little repetitious.

One thing my english teacher/professor always stressed was never used the same type of word (eg. end) in a single sentence more than once. Also same thing with adjectives (eg. unique). Maybe replace the "8 unique endings" with "8 separate/different endings..."

Try checking www.webster.com's thesaurus for synonyms.

- finalising & realise = I see these types of spelling all the time. I'm not sure if it could be considered correct (like a slang of some sort), but the correct way is finalizing / realize.

Those are the errors that really caught my eye (from a quick proof-read). I can look into it more in-depth after I finish my dosage of anime if ya want :) Or hell if you want anything proof-read I'll gladly help.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited September 2003
    thanks for pointing those out, we will change them shortly. its good to have some ICF folks helping us proofread stuff cuz we are real busy trying to bring you guys the latest preview/reviews . . .
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by versello
    - finalising & realise = I see these types of spelling all the time. I'm not sure if it could be considered correct (like a slang of some sort), but the correct way is finalizing / realize.

As far as I know, those are valid spellings in England.:D

~FA
  • edited September 2003
    Thanks for taking the time to comment, we encourage all forms of feedback - good or bad :)
    Or hell if you want anything proof-read I'll gladly help.

Please drop me a PM, we would love to have you on board as staff :)

But as folding addict says, all the "spelling mistakes" are correct for anyone outside the USA :)
  • verselloversello New
    edited September 2003
    I think he was just reffering to finalise and realise, but yeh, I guess those could be valid. /me shrugs

Time for more anime :D
  • edited September 2003
    Enjoy your anime :D

You have a PM ;)
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited September 2003
    :( i always wanted to point out the typos in the reviews.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited September 2003
    are there really that many typos in the game reviews?!
  • verselloversello New
    edited September 2003
    Just in the article I briefly looked at there were. "artefacts" was used a few times in the article until I couldn't take it anymore and had to say something :)
  • edited September 2003
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=artefacts (Variant of artifact or on its own). Quite correct so you can sleep at nights now :D

I really do believe that the vast majority of things are correctly spelt, just the variance in US-English and UK-English. Sorry - I am English and so are three other members of the team. I speak English not American

And I am sure your all the same albeit the other way round. We say "Colour" you say "color" and thats really the way it will always be.

What I will ask from now on is that these things are pointed out in email or PM; this thread is not a discussion on US and UK literature studies. It was designed to discuss the game, not the spellings and it has now gone horribly off topic :) Feel free to PM me any errors you believe you have come across in the future, errors always creep in, none of us are robots :)

And never forget, both you and Massive Gas are welcome to submit me any game reviews you have written for inclusion into Icronticgames. PM or Email.

Lets talk about the game now shall we? And what a fine game it is :)

• drowddrowd Texas
    edited September 2003
    yeah, actually, i have to say, that i am quite intrigued by this game. the screenshots look pretty crazy, not to mention creative. so i for one would really like to see what its all about. cant wait to play . . .
  • verselloversello New
    edited September 2003
    Yea, I know about the differences between Uk-US spelling. I've lived in Europe myself and a lot of the words were taken from the UK. I've just never seen "artefacts" tho :) It's so... weird :p

And yus, the game looks grand.