low rpm for cpu cooler ???

edited July 2004 in Hardware
My MoBo's a chaintech 7NJS Zenith (Totally love it, btw) with a AMD 2600+ cpu cooled by a Thermal Take Technology Silent Viking II.

What I find odd is that the fan only runs at ~2300 rpm, resulting in a rather high core temp. (my old rig had a fan speed twice as high) I've read the manual and there doesn't seem to be a way to increase fan speed...

Question no. 1
Can the fan speed be increased ?? (I don't mind doing a little modding if required :D ) (have thought of just pluggin 12v direct to the fan and leave the signal back to MoBo where it is...)

Question no. 2

Can you recommend a fan to replace the current one, can the fan speed not be increased. ? or should i throw away fan + heatsink and buy something new ? If so, any idea to what would be good ???

any help / ideas are welcome.

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited December 2003
    1 -- Probably can't change the current fan speed. It's likely to be running at 100% by default. Check to see if there's a jumper or adjustment on the fan or the cable.

2 -- every fan can be replaced (with a few exceptions). In your case, higher CFM is going to result in more noise but lower temps.
  • Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited January 2004
    Also, the bigger (wider) the fan the better it cools and the more silent it is. Increasing rpm of it will always make it louder.

Maybe email the producers of the fan if that is the right rpm?
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Nive11en
    Also, the bigger (wider) the fan the better it cools and the more silent it is. Increasing rpm of it will always make it louder.

Tho a wider fan does cool a larger area, A larger fan (120mm-92mm) will have less revolutions to push the same amount of air than a 80mm fan, thus will create less noise. However increasing any RPMs on any fan will indeed create noise ;)
  • edited July 2004
    I'm currently running an AMD XP 2500+ Barton, and a Thermaltake Silent Boost w/ Artic Silver 5 and ambient temperature is 31C, full load is around 34C. The cpu fan runs around 2500RPM and is very quiet. Overclocked to 2400+Mhz, temperature will never exceed 43C. Quiet and cools just as well as a Volcano 11+ at hair dryer fan speeds.