Norton AV Question

edited February 2004 in Science & Tech
Hi All,

Got a question about Norton Anti Virus. I keep getting e-mails with the MyDoom virus, as everyone else is receiving as well. Norton AV is catching them as they come in and asks me to quarantine them (after which I delete them). However, sometimes something odd happens. Norton AV tells me that the quarantine failed and it follows with the message reading "We recommend you let us delete all of the infections automatically." I go ahead and delete. Then it reads "You have not eleminiated all viruses. There are still 1 infection(s) remaining. Then a dialog pops up reading "Your email message is still infected with viruses."

I went ahead and deleted the e-mail messages manually and then ran a scan across my whole system and it came back with nothing. But I'm still concerned. Does my manually deleting these "remaingin" emails remove the problem? Any idea why AV is incapabable of deleting them?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited February 2004
    What Version of N.A.V?

No problems here with 2003
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    It sounds like you are good, I'd reccomend running the mydoom removal tool to make sure though. It'll scan for it and definently remove it if found: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom@mm.removal.tool.html

-Aranyic
  • edited February 2004
    Doesnt remove any viruses that may be still be around in your email (inbox) though, only if your infected (you ran an attachment). Well it didnt with the version I tried not long after the outbreak.

Norton Antivirus should have deleted them in your emails without a hitch. Still need to know what version :)
  • edited February 2004
    Hi Coaster,

Thank you for your response. I am running version 8.07.17, which is AV 2002.

I've never run an attachment and have my Outlook Express preview pane disabled. I have deleted all the e-mail from my inbox that may have the virus. Is this enough or do you recommend that I run the removal tool just to be sure as well.

Thanks again for your help.
  • edited February 2004
    Hi Coaster,

I just ran the Symantec removal program and, just as you stated, it came back clean.

Unfortunately, 2002 deosn't automatically delete those e-mails. I think I'll upgrade to the latest version this week. Can't be too cautious. :-)

Thank you again for your quick responses and help. Yet again, Icrontic rocks and proves to be a truely fantastic Web site and forum, supported by great people, such as yourself.

:D
  • edited February 2004
    You can always run that program yes - can't hurt at all, though from my understanding of your post you have certainly taken every reasonable effort to remain unaffected. And I would imagine the test will come back clean. :)

Norton should delete the emails as they come in and so check to see if Norton has any updates (using the Live Update). As I said Norton2003 deletes all emails that are infected without those sorts of prompts.

What may of happened is that you deleted an attachment it was trying to quaranteen and so Norton unduly panicked. Run the program Aranyic suggested to make sure but as I say I think your OK.
  • edited February 2004
    Originally posted by coffin
    Hi Coaster,

I just ran the Symantec removal program and, just as you stated, it came back clean.

Unfortunately, 2002 deosn't automatically delete those e-mails. I think I'll upgrade to the latest version this week. Can't be too cautious. :-)

Thank you again for your quick responses and help. Yet again, Icrontic rocks and proves to be a truely fantastic Web site and forum, supported by great people, such as yourself.

:D

Thanks for that coffin, its when people say things like this that it all becomes worthwhile.

Didnt know that a version so new (2002) was directly to blame! Thought it may have just been an option not selected or changed in an older version. We all learn something everyday :)
  • edited February 2004
    Hi Coaster,

Thank you for posting an image of your AV 2003 settings. I compared this against mine and there is a rather significant difference and mine looks a bit inferior. Although most settings for "Email" are identical, I do not have any heading nor settings for "How to increase protection." So I don't have "Enable worm blocking" nor do I have "Alert when scanning e-mail attachments."

Although I'm up-to-date with Live Update, I believe these additional settings will offer some added protection. I also found out this afternoon that Symantec does not offer telephone support for any versions of AV 2002 or earlier. Will be headed to CostCo to buy tomorrow.

Thank you again.

:)