LG CD-RW CED-8080B - driver & firmware

e-natione-nation state college, pa
edited December 2004 in Hardware
i'm looking for driver/ firmware updates for my LG CD-RW CED-8080B

anyone know of a reliable place to find it?

i checked LG's site, and the product isn't even listed. it's an older model... only 8x burn capable

thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2004
    Firmware for the LG CED-8080B can be found on LG's Web site - it's a pain to locate... the LG site stinks and does not have search capabilities.

http://us.lgservice.com/gcsc/b2c/hpi/main

You have to select the Device Driver link, then the CD-ROM(Writer) link. Scroll through the files to the CDE-8080B Firmware 1.02.

e-nation wrote:
    i'm looking for driver/ firmware updates for my LG CD-RW CED-8080B

anyone know of a reliable place to find it?

i checked LG's site, and the product isn't even listed. it's an older model... only 8x burn capable

thanks!
  • edited December 2004
    Sorry... mistake on the URL... here's the correct one.

http://us.lgservice.com/
    gshambo wrote:
    Firmware for the LG CED-8080B can be found on LG's Web site - it's a pain to locate... the LG site stinks and does not have search capabilities.

http://us.lgservice.com/gcsc/b2c/hpi/main

You have to select the Device Driver link, then the CD-ROM(Writer) link. Scroll through the files to the CDE-8080B Firmware 1.02.
  • e-natione-nation state college, pa
    edited December 2004
    hey, wow... that was an old post...

what about upgrades for this piece of junk!? i doesn't even play audio CD's in my p4 machine. (this problem may be due to the fact that that system is not online, so it has XP Pro w/ upgrades ending circa 3.04)

i'm thinking if i can find a driver update, i can put it on a floppy or somethin...
    generic 52x24x52 CD-RW drive:
    Hardware ID - ATAPI_CD-RW_52X24_K.JC_GenCdRom
    GUID - {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

(data extracted from BenchMarX system info utility http://www.vultur.go.ro )
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2004
    e-nation wrote:
    hey, wow... that was an old post...

what about upgrades for this piece of junk!? i doesn't even play audio CD's in my p4 machine. (this problem may be due to the fact that that system is not online, so it has XP Pro w/ upgrades ending circa 3.04)

i'm thinking if i can find a driver update, i can put it on a floppy or somethin...
    generic 52x24x52 CD-RW drive:
    Hardware ID - ATAPI_CD-RW_52X24_K.JC_GenCdRom
    GUID - {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

(data extracted from BenchMarX system info utility http://www.vultur.go.ro )

Do you have the audio cable hooked up to the cd player?
    edited December 2004
    the li'l analog wire you mean?

yes, the device was installed properly.

i should have been more specific. the audio CD's would sit and spin-- seemingly unrecognizable. data cd's worked find.

sometimes you could get the aud cds to work... but notwithout some amount of frustration when trying to scan through a song, skip tracks, etc.-- lucky if you got to that point though.

another user of this computer (our drummer) claims he put in pre-recorded audio discs (an Incubus CD for example) and he says it not only didn't play, but it actually in some way changed the physical appearnce of the rings of the underside of the disc-- the write area.

anyone care to take a stab at this?
    edited December 2004
    pull up your volume controls by double clicking on the speaker in your task launcher. Then in the properties tab where it shows all the possible devices that you can have for sound check in there. There are two possible ones that control the audio from the speakers. Depending on your soundcard there are a couple ways you could have your cd rom hooked up to it. So you may actuall have the wrong cd audio one selected and the other one muted. This is often the case with Soundblaster Live cards.
  • edited December 2004
    Or keep the cable unplugged and get digital sound right down the data cable. This one seems like a problem with the drive though rather than the volume being too low :P

I've just bought an Aopen combi drive. Is quite nice and came with a set of different coloured fronts depending on your case. MSI optical drives seem quite nice too. I'm really biased on the MSI front though as I really like their kit.
    edited December 2004
    i guess what i'm really looking for here is a suggestion on what to call this thing when going to a driver archive to see if there is an update available.

sure, my fault for buying "generic"... but i'd appreciate help on trying to figure out what driver will make it perform the best

i wish i could hook the PC into the net and get all the updates for the system-- but that's not really an option considering its location (it's in our "home studio" at the drummer's house-- his wife got pissed at me last time i hooked up a router-- claimed it f'd up her internet-- silly girl)
  • edited December 2004
    Oh fair enough, I completly missed the point of the thread, guess it pays to read :) Is there nothing in the way of a name or lable you can get off the drive its self? Its sometimes easier than looking at device IDs.
    edited December 2004
    e-nation wrote:
    i guess what i'm really looking for here is a suggestion on what to call this thing when going to a driver archive to see if there is an update available.

sure, my fault for buying "generic"... but i'd appreciate help on trying to figure out what driver will make it perform the best

i wish i could hook the PC into the net and get all the updates for the system-- but that's not really an option considering its location (it's in our "home studio" at the drummer's house-- his wife got pissed at me last time i hooked up a router-- claimed it f'd up her internet-- silly girl)

Probably the only way to get the proper device name for the drive is to pull it out of the machine. It should have a label on it. Then go to the site and check for a firmware update.

As for your friend and his Incubus cd....impossible you just can't write onto a non-re-writable cd it just won't happen. Now if the drive is damaged somehow it could be scrapping the disks. But it wouldn't distinguish between audio or data it'd be wrecking them all.
    edited December 2004
    just to clarify...

my problem has something to do w/ the functionality of the drive itself... the constant / intermittant spinning of the disc (almost pulsing at intervals for a few seconds or so), that the disc itself is seemingly unreconizable by the OS and by the media player...

and as for that damage to the Incubus CD.... my thoughts exactly... he says "see the ring around he edge", and i said, "dude... that's just where there is no data written... that was always there". we argued about it for a while. he is, after all, married to the woman who lashed me w/ a wet noodle for installing the router!
    :horn:

oh, and we have an "identical" generic drive other there now (cosmetically, slightly different ... different font style where it reads 52x24x52)... and it is doing the same thing w/ audio discs... so, kryyst... i'm going to take your advice and see how far i can get w/ the OEM label... you know how it can be w/ these generic devices (or maybe you don't make a habit of buying budget junk like we have made the mistake of doing)... it's often a big run-around trying to figure out who actually makes the thing
    edited December 2004
    I/O Magic Corporation
    Santa Ana, CA 92705

model: 5224p
    no: i522452
    mfg date: 11.2002

upc # 788069008525

long # at bottom w/ bar scan...
    99b0s1201024460242swk000

made in china

and that's about it for the sticker!

i guess that does give me a bit more to go on, huh. thanks for the advice... i shoulda thought of that... i'll see what i can come up w/ from this info
    edited December 2004
    iomega is hardly generic they've been around for quite awhile though typically larger on the MAC scene then PC's.

Couple things to keep in mind. Some drives are just more noise then others they sound like they are about to launch the disk into space. It's possible that a firmware upgrade may fix the problems for the read errors. But I have my doubts.

So you've tried two different drives and both have the same problems? Have you tried it on a different ide spot?

My suggestion is try firmware upgrades
    edited December 2004
    cool... i'll try putting it on a different ide spot... and yes, i gotta get that firmware upgrade. suggested search spot for that, if this is in fact an iomega?

for anyone who's interested... this is what i have on that system... from newegg.com

VGA ASUS|V7100PRO64Pure64MB RETAIL (Qty=1,Price=40.00)
    CPU P4/2.4BGHz 533M 478PIN/512K RTL (Qty=1,Price=164.00)
    MB 845PE|5P1A3D BH7 ABIT SATA ATX R (Qty=1,Price=79.00)
    DDRAM 512MB|64X64 PC-2700 CRUCIAL% (Qty=1,Price=86.00)
    CASE SCASE|PC-132 BG 350W RTL (Qty=1,Price=25.00)