COMPAQ DVD-ROM SD-612B & Fresh XP Pro

e-natione-nation state college, pa
edited May 2004 in Hardware
hello... i just acquired a new system (Athlon XP 1.4x Ghz, 512 Meg), which has a COMPAQ DVD-ROM SD-612B, and previously had Win 2000 on it but i chose to format the hard drive and install XP Pro.

the DVD ROM is now not recognizing DVD's, but will recognize regular CD-ROM's. (i didn't test its DVD capabilities before the instalation of XP either)

suggestions on how to get the device to work properly?

I've never owned a DVD ROM before, and have had very little experience with their operation. my best description would be that it's acting like a regular CD-ROM.

thanks!

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    the dvd media you have in hand, is it a copied media that someone made at home?
    or is it original software/movie.
  • e-natione-nation state college, pa
    edited May 2004
    The drive will read CD-ROM's properly, but if i insert a "store-bought" DVD ... the only DVD's I have (movies...) after some time of the "CD-cursor mouse pointer" it prompts me >Please Insert disc into Drive

i've read forum comments elsewhere in which other people have experienced a similar problem with the same drive (aka Samsung, apparently), and have been directed to driverguide.com, but i'm not sure if i should trust what i d/l there, so hence my posting here.

i'm afraid to flash the drive if that's not what it needs. obviously, i don't want to do it in error, and/or foul up the flash process.

I've also installed PowerDVD and restarted w/out success.

i appreciate any help.
    thanks!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2004
    If it's a new system why don't you take it back tell them the DVD drive doesn't work and have them replace it?
  • e-natione-nation state college, pa
    edited May 2004
    i forgot to mention... this computer, used, was given as a gift.

the reason that i think the DVD Rom worked w/ Win 2000 is that person who gave it to me said "i think that thing plays DVD's too!"... although, she's not a techie, so it's hard to say.

regardless, the warranty is no longer valid.

i might just buy a new drive... i don't have much to lose
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2004
    Well from the looks of it from some google searches your options are;
    A) Buy a different drive
    B) Firmware Patch plus possibly the drivers from Drivers Guide
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2004
    driverguide is legit, you'll be fine downloading firmware from there