MSI Neo2-P Sound Problem [realtek ac'97]

edited July 2004 in Hardware
Heya
whenever i get into a game, my sound goes out. Just doesn't work.
Out of the game it works (mostly) and when i resart it works in the Windows GUI (mp3's and what not)
Anyone have any ideas?
I have an MSI Neo2-P with all the drivers from the cd, and i havn't found anything else on the board reguarding sound issues.
It's all onboard sound, i have no other sound cards,
i have a brand new 3.4 P4 800FSB ati radeon x800 pro
and windows xp pro

the sound is Realtek AC'97655
we have drivers from 05/14/2004
and the problem persists

thanks in advance

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    when was the last time u updated the bios? i know alot of people are having a problem with that board if they dont update the bios
  • edited June 2004
    when was the last time u updated the bios? i know alot of people are having a problem with that board if they dont update the bios

the comp is brand new, and there are a couple of updates for the bios, nothing relating to sound though.
  • edited June 2004
    nah
    nothin
    i updated, but that didn't do squat, same problems...
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited June 2004
    The only thing I can think of is re-install the drivers. Have you always had this problem when you got the comp?
  • edited July 2004
    Hey guys, I have the same problem... The sound works fine as long as I don't start loading the CPU too much (or so it seems) but as soon as I start playing MP3, oppening some programs, moving/scrolling windows or playing games it begins to sound choppy more and more, until no sound at all is heard. After I stop using the CPU, it takes a long long time before the sound starts working again (if it starts working at all.)

I have updated the BIOS, the sound drivers, the Intel chipset drivers, and I even changed the motherboard... I think there is a problem either with the current drivers or, god forbids, the motherboard design :(

I asked to the support group at MSI, before I changed my motherboard, and they told me the drivers stuff, then they told me I should replace my motherboard, so I did... but the problem's still there...

I have stripped the computer down to just the motherboard, memory, processor, and hard drive... still having the problem.

I have tested the memory modules several times using the BIOS full test, the standard MemTest-86 neither ever showing a single problem, thus I can rather safely assume the memory is good.

I have tested the hard drive speed when the sound is jerky and when it's working okay both giving the same results, so I can assume the hard drive is good (besides, it's the hard drive I used on my former computer, always without a problem.)

I have tried memory on single channel, double channel, and single module (each module at the time.) I have tried using and not using MAT performance mode and D.O.T. range on many different configurations, always having the same sound problems. The problems seem to be a little more persistent using MAT and/or D.O.T.

The problem is present at least on the following configuration:
    MSI 865PE Neo2-P PCB v.2.0
    BIOS Version 3.6 & 3.7
    Intel P4 HT 3GHz Prescott
    Two 512MB memory modules (1GB PC3200, kit of two):
    Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G
    Integrated Realtek AC'97 ALC655
    Driver Version: A3.55 & A3.59
    Driver Date: 05/14/2004
    Using Windows XP Pro
    Intel Chipset Software Driver Version: 5.1.0.1008 & 6.0.1.1002

Any ideas on this matter?
    behr66, did you solve the problem? what memory modules are you using?
  • AcidicDreamsAcidicDreams Oregon
    edited July 2004
    The fix for this is go buy a cheap stand alone sound card.. why bog your nice gaming rigs doing sound proccessing... even a SB live would do and it would be like 50 bucks... those built in solutions are awful... it's like using built in video for gaming