Who knows stuff about digital cameras?

drowddrowd Texas
edited July 2004 in Hardware
ok, so, recently i have sort of been wanting a digital camera. i want the quality to be good, but it doesnt have to be the best on the market by any means. what i really want, is something that is small, and portable and will fit in my pocket very easily, but without the ridiculous pricetag.

so, in looking around, i came across this Kyocera Finecam SL400R camera that seems to be pretty good. i checked out eopinions.com and it got pretty good reviews. the only complaints were battery life and the flash was a little weak. i dont THINK those two things are important to me (night shots should be rare and it will be recharged every night) so, to me, as someone who knows nothing about digital cameras, does this camera seem like it will be ok? i attempted to ask one of my friends about it, but he is like, crazy about cameras the way we are crazy about computers. he was like "you want it to be small and portable? thats stupid. quality is the only thing that matters". but that answer wasnt good enough for me. so i bring my question to you fine folks. any ideas?

and here is the linkage:
http://www.17photo.com/product.asp?id=300356

EDIT:// and here is the product specs from the kyocera website

http://www.kyoceraimaging.com/tourspecs.asp?itemnum=300356

Comments

• LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2004
    Lol, you're not going to like this but i agree with your friend. ;)

i'm not familiar with that camera or brand, but i stand behind Canon products and if i had the money to spare i wouldn't hesitate in upgrading to the Canon Powershot A80

you might find this review at Steves Digicams helpful.

(i see it going for 279.94 at amazon.com)

and i really like the black and white mode described in this person's review.

anyway, good luck to you - all i can say is research as much as you can. :)

LIN
  • verselloversello New
    edited July 2004
    I'd get a Canon Powershot SD110, like the one I just bought last month. It's ulra-small (about half an inch smaller than an iPod MINI!) and runs on lith batteries... plus it's cheaper.

You want to consider is your needs. Do you really need a 4 megapixel camera? Mind you taking pics at 4 megapixels produces an insanely huge picture... something in the 2048x and up resolution range. Pictures that large are over 1.5MB... so if you're just using this camera to take "family photos", you're going to have to reduce a lot of pics. Sure you can take smaller pics in-camera, but that just eliminates the point of getting a hi-res camera. Ideally, you'd want a 4 megapixel camera if you were printing photo-quality pics at sizes larger than A1 paper... now that's pretty damn big and requires an expensive photo printer.

There isn't even an optical zoom on the camera you want... a major setback in my books.

Bottom line, you don't need to spend that much on a camera if you don't have a justified reason.
  • edited July 2004
    The Kyocera Finecam SL400R is a BIG OLD RUSTY POS. Get a Cannon, end of story. I have the Cannon Power A80 and its AMAZING! hehe, dont go for anything else besides a Cannon trust me.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    http://www.dpreview.com/ You can research all types of camera's and do a side by side comparison there. Nice place for digital camera reviews. I have the Fuji Finepix S5000 and it takes excellent photo's. Only it's not that compact. It has a carrying case with all the goodies that go with it. Zoom, wide angle lens, cleaning kit, spare 128MB card, batteries, etc. http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/Images250.asp?in=CB89AB866EA14709BF4531C0C0EF36C3.jpg
    Lin, I do like the idea of a B&W mode on a digital camera. I have taken B&W photo's and developed my own for 16+ yrs. Have my own photo room--in office setup. Since digital came out, I haven't done any developing though.
    Also, I own a Canon T70, which I've used for yrs for Color and B&W photography. I choose the T70 over the T80 because I could do a lot of manual settings on the T70, that you couldn't on the T80 (which was much more automatic).
    Wifey is a Caterer and Cake Decorator, and I did photo layout of party tables-food, wedding cakes, etc. for her and the caterer. Even had wedding party pics once that the Bride, Groom, and their parents on both sides wanted my photo's of the wedding party instead of the photographers! Ha, I thought that was so funny. I had to get all these copies made for them. They reimbursed me of course. As you can tell, I enjoy taking pics.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2004
    :cool: nice camera, hawk. there's just something about black & whites that i really like.

*LIN dreams on

LIN
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2004
    you're awfully quiet, drowd.

how's the research going? :)

LIN
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2004
    I've got a Sony Cybershot 3.2 mega pix and it works great. Small portable battery life lasts for a long time. Takes great day/night/inside/outside shots. Has some nice built in tricks like b&w, sephia, solarize etc... you can add audio to stills or take full a/v movies. My wife has dropped it a few times and it's survived with only a few minor nicks. It may not compare to a professional SLR digital camera but for general every day photos to replace your typical film camera it does the job and better.

One nice thing about the Canon SLR digitals though is that they can use all the same attachments as the regular film slr's. However if that's not what you need then you don't gain an advantage out of it.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2004
    yeah, i am pretty much still searching . . .
  • verselloversello New
    edited July 2004
    Buy a Canon damnit!

:thumbsup: