Uh oh, this doesn't look good (wont start!)

edited July 2004 in Hardware
Well today I go to turn on my computer...nothing happens. And by nothing, I mean NOTHING. It seems like it isnt even plugged in. So I try switching power cords, using different outlets, still no sign of the computer even getting any power at all. One thing I did notice is that if I plug it in, and then unplug it, about 10 seconds later the power light in the front will light up yellow (is usually green when normal), and the fans and stuff will go for about a second. Now I dont really know what could have caused this all of a sudden (this couldnt be caused by a virus, could it?) Any way, if you have ANY idea as to what could be causing that, please do tell.

Hoping my computer isnt dead,
-Satch

Comments

• verselloversello New
    edited July 2004
    Nah, not a virus. Sounds to me tho like the heatsink on your CPU isn't making good contact. I would crack open the case and re-seat the heatsink and apply new thermal paste.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    try a spare PSU and make sure ur heatsink is on right
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Sounds to me like PSU.
  • edited July 2004
    Well after letting it sit for a few hours, it did turn on, though it still seems very unstable. Once after turning on it would turn on and off 3 times before shutting down...but right now it seems to be running OK and i'm making backups of the HD just in case. I'll look into the heatsink and PSU stuff tomorrow...