Looking to get a new chip/mobo

phlipphlip hell
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Im looking ointo get a p4/celeron setup. MY budget is no more then 200$ I was wondering what mother board and cpu to get. My goal is to get to 3ghz or better. I noticed on pricewatch that u can get a celeron 2.8ghz for around 86$ but im not sure about how well that will oc if at all.. remember im looking for the cheapest cpu that will allow me to hit 3ghz by overclocking.

Comments

• edited July 2004
    What do you preferr? A Ferrari with a wolksvagen engine or a wolksvagen with a Ferrari engine?
    DO NOT buy a celeron, no matter how many ghz they do. A 1.6 P4 stock still beats a 3ghz celeron.
    Get a P4 2.4C 800 fsb and either Abit's cheapest 875 chipset solution or the Asus.
    If you can't afford it now, wait until you can. You should be able to get those parts on Ebay.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2004
    The parts you find on ebay are not guarenteed, such as the ones on Tiger Direct, or Newegg. I spent 450 on a brand new athalon machine, that will beat out a P4 any day..
  • phlipphlip hell
    edited July 2004
    I never used ebay and probably never will. I have used athlong since they came out. im gonna try something different for now....willl probably switch to athlon 64 sometime in 2005
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    The parts you find on ebay are not guarenteed, such as the ones on Tiger Direct, or Newegg. I spent 450 on a brand new athalon machine, that will beat out a P4 any day..

Hey, Amish Daddy!

Your sig is Teh sH!ts! I like it!! :thumbsup:
    edited July 2004
    Zuntar wrote:
    Hey, Amish Daddy!

Your sig is Teh sH!ts! I like it!! :thumbsup:

Firearms is teh shitzz. Also, I just overclocked an athalon xp 2200+ thoroughbred to 2.43, and I was wondering, is 140 a safe temprature?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    The typical upper "safe" temp is usualy ~50C or 122F so I would say thats kinda high. what are your sys specs?

Nice OC BTW!! :thumbsup:
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    Mackanz wrote:
    DO NOT buy a celeron, no matter how many ghz they do. A 1.6 P4 stock still beats a 3ghz celeron.

How so? The cache really makes that much difference?
    edited July 2004
    Asus A7x-x KT400, 512 Kingston cas 2.5, Hitachi 160GB 7200 2m, Athalon xp 2200+ at 2.21, (Took it lower to keep it under 120) ATI Radeon 9200SE, 600W nameless power supply, Kingwin KCU-7015 heatsink fan using artic silver, the heatsink has been lapped, and a custom made case with a total of 14 80mm fans. Nice machine, costed 530 bucks to make, incuding the case and fans.(Most were concecrated from dead power supplies.)
    edited July 2004
    yagga wrote:
    How so? The cache really makes that much difference?

Yes, and the micron size, along with the die size. Celerons just suck. Durons are AMD's budget processor, but the duron is a bad-ass processor.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    I got a duron! 1.3ghz, works fine for me, actually seems to have more agility than my 2.8ghz P4, but that might be other factors as well.
    edited July 2004
    Amd's are far suprior to intel's pentium class processors due to the use of quantispeed, even with hyper threading, the P4 can't touch amd's power. The version (3200+) is the pentium class processor it matches by megahertz. The 3000+ performs better than the 3.06ghz by atleast 5%, and it's only 2.20ghz. Overclock it to 3.06ghz..And see the power you'll get. Amd found the secret of power, they've always had it. The spitfire was the best compared to the Pentium 3, and the Pentium celeron. Amd's have just got it..I don't know why, they just got their ducks in a row, and whipped out the deagle. 1 bullet does the job. (*<(XIT)>AMD killed [No-CD]Intel with deagle headshot*) I'm done ranting, but people who use the pentium processor waste their money, I can get a processor that's just as powerful for around 50 bucks less, and if it's a little weaker, Jumperfree mode lets me do what I have to.
  • edited July 2004
    Amish, this is the overclocking section. No Barton or below cpu can't touch a P4C series in overclocking i'm afraid. Jumperfree has been there forever, it's nothing new.
  • phlipphlip hell
    edited July 2004
    So whats the deal with the prescott processorS? the have a 1 meg of l2 cache and i havent heard anyone talk about them or having one
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    If you look around you will find that the Prescott is nicnamed "Preshot" because they run at very high temps. The "C" series is what to get if you really want Intel. Look on Newegg or any other retail site and you will find the Prescott's are priced cheaper than the supposedly (not) inferior "C" chips. If you really want to do something different, find a way to run an Intel "M" on an I875 chipset board. :loco:
  • phlipphlip hell
    edited July 2004
    INteresting...ya i ahev decided to go with the p4 2.4ghz c 800fsb thanks fo the incite guys