The GIMP - "An open source photoshop" for ALL OSes!

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited August 2005 in Science & Tech
What we have here is a Free Open source Image editing program very similar to photoshop. Some say this is a more powerful image editor then Photoshop and some say it is less powerful. I say they are about the same. The layout of everything is pretty much just like photoshop (for windows at least, im not sure about mac. But linux version is different) so if you know photoshop you can jump right into this like nothing! (if your using windows)

GIMP for Windows

GIMP for Mac OS X

GIMP for Unix/Linux

Here are a couple of Tips and tricks if you are new to GIMP. Enjoy!

I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did! Now you dont have to pirate stupid Photoshop! lol.

Comments

• edited July 2005
    I've used the gimp before and was always impressed by the power and features. Its quite easy to use considering how powerful it is too (in the right hands at least)

Could never get used to the interface though, didnt like the program split all over my desktop like that though I'm sure its something you could get used to in time.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2005
    If you don't have Adobe, the gimp is the only way to go. The interface takes a bit to get use to but it really is the same as photoshop it's just that the menu bars are all smaller and looks more split up if you shrink photoshop windows they are set up much the same. However in comparing The Gimp to Photoshop the Gimp only wins on price, Photoshop is far superior. I'm not saying The Gimp sucks it's really, really good - Photoshop though is just that much better.

However for most people and most jobs the Gimp is more the sufficient.
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited July 2005
    gimpshop a great alternative also if you are used to photoshop
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: I've been usin it for close to year, nice and powerful!!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Cool, Think I'll try it out. Thnx.
    Thnx for the input on it too guys.
    Makes me feel safer trying it out.
    edited July 2005
    OH yah.... BTW just go ahead and ignore the random popups and trojans it throws at ya!

You'll get used to them , I DID!!!

LOL JK Hawk ;)
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2005
    Zuntar wrote:
    OH yah.... BTW just go ahead and ignore the random popups and trojans it throws at ya!

You'll get used to them , I DID!!!

LOL JK Hawk ;)

LMAO!
    edited August 2005
    I don't think he got the joke, bummer............it's no fun if they don't get the joke.